News: PFT: Jerry Jones sees window of opportunity for Cowboys

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I think we are getting closer. Less holes and more depth. Still issues to address.

Exactly my sentiments.

I feel a lot better about the team now than I did at the start of the season. DLaw stepped up on the defensive line and all of our draft picks in the secondary have shown flashes. And, as Jerry said, the key is that they’re all still children, at the beginnings of their careers.

On the flip side, our OL has no depth, we need a TE to replace Witten and our linebacking core is probably one of the worst in the league when Lee doesn’t play.

One more solid draft and a few key FA acquisitions might just put this team over the top.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Good to know Jerrah is already happy with this season going from 13-3 to no playoffs.

Only in JerrahWorld is that progress..

erod

Reaction score
Dak struggled mainly because the game plans, and especially the in game adjustments, in those games we’re atrocious. The lack of in game adjustments( chip for the backup tackles) in the Atlanta game were inexcusable. Garrett should have been fired on the spot right after that fiasco of a game.
Atlanta, I'll give you. But Dak is hard to build a gameplan for because he is lost in the pocket.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Damn, half of this site is stuck in Ground Hog's Day...the team has improved quite a bit and their drafts have been producing for some time now. Leave the poor attitudes in the liquor closets.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I dont know what jerry sees but I see a Vikings that lost both of there starting qb's and right now are 11 and 3 they have a qb by the name of Case Keenum who is at best a journeyman qb and there staff has adjusted and now have a shot to be the first team in nfl history to play at there home stadium in the superbowl so all this excuse making about injuries and players missing time is just that poor excuses for failure coaching matters
You got 2 posts in this thread where you've used no punctuation. Lol wth is that about?

vlad

Reaction score
If Dak is legit, then there will be multiple chances to win a championship.

If he's not, then they're not even close.

I think that summarizes it...the only thing I'll also note is look at Seattle now that everyone had to get paid. If Dak requires a super expensive running back and line, then its going to be challenging. If he can make Beasley and Twill's of the world viable (like last year), then I think we're good. Defense of course is another story, look at the past decade. I think now more than ever scheme (due to cost reasons) and a QB that can elevate WRs play (cost again) are the keys.

erod

Reaction score
I think that summarizes it...the only thing I'll also note is look at Seattle now that everyone had to get paid. If Dak requires a super expensive running back and line, then its going to be challenging. If he can make Beasley and Twill's of the world viable (like last year), then I think we're good. Defense of course is another story, look at the past decade. I think now more than ever scheme (due to cost reasons) and a QB that can elevate WRs play (cost again) are the keys.
It does appear that Dak needs a perfect offense around him. That's expensive indeed.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It does appear that Dak needs a perfect offense around him. That's expensive indeed.

In all fairness, it is a very similar offense (as far as personnel) to what the Cowboys put out there in '15 and none of the QB's that season, including the games Romo wasn't injured were stellar.

Dak has regressed this season.

But I'm curious to see what the return of Elliott does to the offense. Is he a very good player? Absolutely. But I saw similarities between this team and the 0-2 Cowboys with Emmitt out. How much is it due to the top-flight player not being there and how much of it is simply psychological with the team feeling less confident?

Bottom line they aren't going to move away from Prescott for at least another season.

Give him a full season of Elliott. A little depth at OT and a little more speed at WR and let's see what happens.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones sees window of opportunity for Cowboys

8833421642-e1513973131592.jpg

Whether the Cowboys make the playoffs or not, owner Jerry Jones likes their future. Jones, of course, is an eternal optimist, but his reasons are valid. Dak Prescott is 24. Ezekiel Elliott is 22. T...

Read Full Story
I guess we're stuck with Garrett!!! Merry Christmas!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
you cant have your cake and eat it too
if coaching is so important and the DC win some hardware the coach is a big part of that.
IF, we win a Super Bowl with Garrett. That is a huge IF. We have similar talent to New England and can’t win a playoff game, and they go on to win Superbowls. Also, they can still win with major injuries( Hightower, Edelman, etc) and we fall apart. They put solid game plans together every week to exploit the other teams weaknesses. We relie in better execution of a basic game plan. This works when every one is healthy and when we are playing inferior talent.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I dont know what jerry sees but I see a Vikings that lost both of there starting qb's and right now are 11 and 3 they have a qb by the name of Case Keenum who is at best a journeyman qb and there staff has adjusted and now have a shot to be the first team in nfl history to play at there home stadium in the superbowl so all this excuse making about injuries and players missing time is just that poor excuses for failure coaching matters
Do they not teach English in middle school?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I can think of like 5 games (especially 2013 packers game) right off the top of my head where this is true.
Me too. I wish Jerry would take his blinders off and get us a real coach. We don’t have the perfect roster, but we definitely have enough talent to win a Super Bowl with excellent coaching. Look how the Patriot’s defense has improved with excellent coaching. They have a bunch of no names on their front 7, but are still playing very good D.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IF, we win a Super Bowl with Garrett. That is a huge IF. We have similar talent to New England and can’t win a playoff game, and they go on to win Superbowls. Also, they can still win with major injuries( Hightower, Edelman, etc) and we fall apart. They put solid game plans together every week to exploit the other teams weaknesses. We relie in better execution of a basic game plan. This works when every one is healthy and when we are playing inferior talent.

If you’re suggesting we make Belichick the coach, I’m seconding that.

Short of that, if we actually can assemble talent better than other teams, I’m ok with just doing that. It doesn’t even matter if your coaching argument is right or wrong. Get the defensive talent in place and it’s a moot point.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Me too. I wish Jerry would take his blinders off and get us a real coach. We don’t have the perfect roster, but we definitely have enough talent to win a Super Bowl with excellent coaching. Look how the Patriot’s defense has improved with excellent coaching. They have a bunch of no names on their front 7, but are still playing very good D.
That's because Matt Patricia is 100x better than Morla the Ancient One (Never-ending Story reference).

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
If you’re suggesting we make Belichick the coach, I’m seconding that.

Short of that, if we actually can assemble talent better than other teams, I’m ok with just doing that. It doesn’t even matter if your coaching argument is right or wrong. Get the defensive talent in place and it’s a moot point.
I think coaching is more important than you give it credit for. As an organization we do a good job of accumulating talent. I believe most of the top teams, including us, have similar talent, but a handful of teams do a much better job of game planning, using in game adjustments and managing the clock. These are the teams that win playoff games and go on to win Superbowls. Coaching is extremely important in todays NFL with the talent level being so even among the top teams. WE have to have better talent than other teams to overcome our mediocre coaching!

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
Disagree. You don’t have Shady Brady or Billycheat.. no one else does either.
I cannot stand those guys but they are the best.