PFT: Judge rejects NFL’s position on “fundamental fairness” in arbitrations

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I agree with this but it doesn't even have to be politics. Heck people at times do the same things regarding regular Cowboys talk on here. You have people remembering differences from eons ago labeling you a bad person and the like because you disagree and or had a few "words" with them in the past. Too many people are too sensitive IMO

I tend to forget who I piss off lol

aikemirv

Reaction score
The political forum was ended with very good reason. However, as this case goes forward it would lay out intersting examples of the typical differences between each side and it would be an intersting discussion if everyone could act like civil adults. Which is clear can’t happen.

This judge is the first to go outside of party lines with his opinion. This also says a lot about the injustice of this case. Clearly, it’s not like the Brady case.

I am just going to say that this is not a Rep/Dem issue to me in any sense. You could argue that it is a union issue that usually would slant towards Democrat favor but I don't think anyone really views this as a union issue, but to me, and obviously to Crotty, this is a fairness and a due process issue because of the impacts of the label Domestic Violence and the impact to him financially. I think anyone who looks at this realizes that the NFL should not be able to ruin someones reputation and fine him 6 games and endorsements, ignoring the facts of the case, just so they look tough on DV

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I am just going to say that this is not a Rep/Dem issue to me in any sense. You could argue that it is a union issue that usually would slant towards Democrat favor but I don't think anyone really views this as a union issue, but to me, and obviously to Crotty, this is a fairness and a due process issue because of the impacts of the label Domestic Violence and the impact to him financially. I think anyone who looks at this realizes that the NFL should not be able to ruin someones reputation and fine him 6 games and endorsements, ignoring the facts of the case, just so they look tough on DV

Well stated. We don't need politics in sports, just fairness be it interpretation of rules during the game, or in this or similar cases affecting a persons career and character...

mahoneybill

Reaction score
...yet those people are out there.

Easy for us to forget but many of these players are just out of college, in early 20's and deemed old at 30. The league office may view them as a " bunch of kids" who need to be kept in line....

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Three judges have now looked at the case and

It is clear at this point Cowboys fans are far from alone in finding fundamental unfairness in this particular Goodell decision. If Goodell were honest with himself, he would agree.

Nobody is arguing the process was fair, not even the NFL.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wallach doesn't think they will appeal to the 2nd CA. It wasn't appealed in the Brady case and they only appealed in the 5th CA due to the jurisdiction issue.

Am I missing something? The NFL did appeal the lower court's finding in the Brady case. The Appeals court ruled for the NFL, reinstated the penalty and Brady had to sit four games to start the season.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Even so that doesn't give the league the right to screw someone over with false allegations.

Agree 100 %. just pointing out how they may feel with their " total freedom" interpretation of the Collective Bargaining agreement

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Am I missing something? The NFL did appeal the lower court's finding in the Brady case. The Appeals court ruled for the NFL, reinstated the penalty and Brady had to sit four games to start the season.

Maybe he meant they didn't appeal an injunction? Of course, in the Brady case, there wasn't an injunction at all since most of that case happened in the off season and then the judge ruled against the NFL prior to the season starting.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Agree 100 %. just pointing out how they may feel with their " total freedom" interpretation of the Collective Bargaining agreement
If that's their interpretation of the CBA then that line of thinking is going to get crushed in court. Roger needs to just resign before this case and many like it gets him personally sued into the poor house.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The appeals court that ruled in favor of the NFL(against Brady) and ultimately decided the fundamental fairness standard did not apply. That's not in play in this case. Every time the facts of the Elliott case have been addressed by the court, it has found fundamental fairness is an issue. The Brady case and Elliot case are apples and oranges to the courts.

Sydla

Reaction score
The appeals court that ruled in favor of the NFL(against Brady) and ultimately decided the fundamental fairness standard did not apply. That's not in play in this case. Every time the facts of the Elliott case have been addressed by the court, it has found fundamental fairness is an issue. The Brady case and Elliot case are apples and oranges to the courts.

I am not talking about the merits of each case. The poster appears to be saying the NFL did not appeal the Brady ruling. But they did appeal it and eventually won. Just stating a fact for the record.