PFT: Lions Still Shopping Roy Williams...Cowboys make offer

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Hmm, says we've made an offer:

www.profootballtalk.com

LIONS STILL SHOPPING ROY WILLIAMS
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 14, 2008, 2:20 p.m.

With just hours to go before the NFL trade deadline, the long-discussed trade of Lions receiver Roy Williams is still being discussed.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the folks in the Detroit front office were working the phones this morning to find out whether other teams would be interested in acquiring Williams.

Schefter also reports that the Cowboys have made an offer, but so far they haven’t offered enough to make the Lions pull the trigger. The Lions have apparently said they want more than a first-round draft pick.

Detroit is also talking about trading other veteran players, but the best player on the block is Williams.

The NFL’s trade deadline is 4 p.m. Eastern today.

Nav22

Reaction score

With just hours to go before the NFL trade deadline, the long-discussed trade of Lions receiver Roy Williams is still being discussed.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the folks in the Detroit front office were working the phones this morning to find out whether other teams would be interested in acquiring Williams.

Schefter also reports that the Cowboys have made an offer, but so far they haven’t offered enough to make the Lions pull the trigger. The Lions have apparently said they want more than a first-round draft pick.

Detroit is also talking about trading other veteran players, but the best player on the block is Williams.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
This is obviously not going to happen cause they're going to hold strong wanting as much as they can possibly get, and being silly about it is what it looks like, until the bitter end where they wind up with absolutely nothing at all.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Nav22;2338431 said:

The Lions have to be the DUMBEST organization in the NFL.

For someone who's going to be an UFA next year, you do NOT offer more than a #1 pick...NEVER.

Thank You, Jerry.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2338432 said:
This is obviously not going to happen cause they're going to hold strong wanting as much as they can possibly get, and being silly about it is what it looks like, until the bitter end where they wind up with absolutely nothing at all.

I hear ya......:bang2:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
hey if we are in the game that is a good thing.

I wonder if the lions panic in the end and just take what they can get.

I was really thinking this was a huge stretch to think we would even talk to them, well if we are talking that means we are interested.

and the idea of a young romo, a young barber and jones, a young witten and austin to go with a young williams is pretty intriguing.

and Roy Williams is a good guy and worth rooting for. The only hangup with him is I have heard aikman say he is the worst route runner in the league 3 times!!!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hold steady, Jerry.

I wonder what the price of his contract will go if he is an UFA next year vs what it would be now.

That and the fact we'd have him now is a fair reason to go after him. Waiting would be ok with me, too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they're looking for more than a 1st rounder, they're as bad as the guy that was just fired.

If I were Jones and I was offering a 1st rounder, I'd let word 'leak out'. That way Detroit would almost be forced to make the deal - or look even more foolish afterwards.

juck

Reaction score
theebs;2338444 said:
hey if we are in the game that is a good thing.

I wonder if the lions panic in the end and just take what they can get.

I was really thinking this was a huge stretch to think we would even talk to them, well if we are talking that means we are interested.

and the idea of a young romo, a young barber and jones, a young witten and austin to go with a young williams is pretty intriguing.

and Roy Williams is a good guy and worth rooting for. The only hangup with him is I have heard aikman say he is the worst route runner in the league 3 times!!!

Well I guess Aikmen would know that.I am on the fence with RW.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Carp is the new Coakley. Him and a ham sandwich should get you any player in the league.

ddh33

Reaction score
To me, it depends on how much more than a first rounder they want.

I don't know if Roy is worth a first. I just want to make that clear. The Cowboys might think he is.

If that is the case, how much farther are you willing to go to make a deal? Do they also want a 5th or 6th rounder? Considering how you can usually get one of those back pretty easy, do you consider it?

In the end, I'm not sure that I want to make that deal. Oh, I'll get excited if it happens. But I wonder if this team might have more holes than we previously thought?

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
What about say a 2nd-rounder, plus we give them another pick, maybe a 4th or 5th if he chooses to re-sign with us at the end of the season? If he doesn't, all they get is the 2nd-rounder. Is that fair to both teams?

ddh33

Reaction score
Just re-reading the original blurb. If the Lions are wanting more than a first, would you think that a first round pick alone would be the natural meeting point?

I'm guessing that Jerry has multiple picks, with the highest being a 2, on the table. The Lions are saying they need a first rounder and more. Isn't the first rounder the natural meeting point? Feels like the Lions jockeying here.

Then it still comes down to whether or not that price is too high?

juck

Reaction score
DawnOfANewD;2338459 said:
What about say a 2nd-rounder, plus we give them another pick, maybe a 4th or 5th if he chooses to re-sign with us at the end of the season? If he doesn't, all they get is the 2nd-rounder. Is that fair to both teams?

can I ask ,Is that you in avatar?If yes,hubba hubba.just saying.lol.:p: