PFT: Michael Bush ready to roll?

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Can Bush be our Canty this year? Man, I'd take him in the 4th easily. Third round is a little stretch though - Lycra stretch, not spandex.

burmafrd

Reaction score
stasheroo;1460765 said:
I'd gladly take him in the 5th round - or even use an earlier pick on him if the team gets one in a trade down.

Coming into this past season, he was widely considered the top running back and I wouldn't discount that because of one injury.

And I feel better about a broken bone healing than I wouldd if it were a major knee injury.

Given Julius Jones' questionable future in Dallas, I think it would be a smart move to get #1 talent in the 4th round.

Gotcha

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;1461073 said:
Hooray for you - look somewhere else for your fight.

Not interested.

He seems cranky today, not that it is something out of the ordinary, but he does seem to be looking for a fight.

Maybe losing Brady Quinn in the draft soon is taking it's toll on him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'm not even sure we could get him in the third picking so late in the round. But I'd not worry about using it. Where else are you going to get first round talent with a 3rd round pick. If he did fall to the fourth that would be a steal. I don't know if he's going to need that rod out in the future. Likely so. That's not a huge deal but it will take time out of training so its an issue.

You are not likely to find a player of his caliber in day two of the draft. He has talent and should be a player in the NFL. So what if you have to wait until later in the year to use him or even 2008. Dallas has had great success with drafting players who had delayed entry into the NFL.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt;1461087 said:
He seems cranky today, not that it is something out of the ordinary, but he does seem to be looking for a fight.

Maybe losing Brady Quinn in the draft soon is taking it's toll on him.
Personally, I think it's the Julius trade rumors.

burmafrd

Reaction score
When someone posts a line where he says one thing then tries a few posts later to deny he said anything of the sort, I do like to pile on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;1461195 said:
When someone posts a line where he says one thing then tries a few posts later to deny he said anything of the sort, I do like to pile on.

I didn't 'deny' anything. And when someone is referred to as a 'leading candidate for the Heisman' I would take that to mean one of if - not the best - at his position.

But that's me.

And I've got a 'pile' for ya if you're interested.

:moonbart:

burmafrd

Reaction score
Stash, give it up. You said "WIDELY CONSIDERED THE TOP RB". You trying to say that that does not mean the #1 RB in the college game?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;1461209 said:
Stash, give it up. You said "WIDELY CONSIDERED THE TOP RB". You trying to say that that does not mean the #1 RB in the college game?

As I said, it's not a big enough deal for me to go 'round and 'round with you about it.

I feel that he was.

My opinion is that he was.

I said that we agreed to disagree.

But you seem to want to try to 'win' something here or to start some lkind of argument about it.

How about actually contributing something relevant to the subject?

If you're able.

burmafrd

Reaction score
No Stash- you said WIDELY CONSIDERED. NOT your opinion. NO ONE really thought Peterson was NOT the #1 back. Just admit it- you overstated Bush big time- he was never the top RB in the college game by anyone with any kind of a reputation- or any major site or scout or anything else.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I have seen a whopping total of 3 games with Bush so it is a super small sample size but when he was healthy he was so much better than everybody else on the field I'd take him in the 4th and I still may redshirt him to build back up his strength and confidence

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;1461221 said:
No Stash- you said WIDELY CONSIDERED. NOT your opinion. NO ONE really thought Peterson was NOT the #1 back. Just admit it- you overstated Bush big time- he was never the top RB in the college game by anyone with any kind of a reputation- or any major site or scout or anything else.

After his record-breaking performance in 2005, many experts were anointing Bush as a favorite to win 2006 Heisman Trophy honors. After the first half of the '06 season opener, most football people agreed that he was well on his way to another fantastic season. However, only three minutes into the second half of the Kentucky clash, Bush suffered a right leg fracture that would bring his season and Louisville career to a close. Bush could have applied for a medical hardship and returned to the Cardinals in 2007, but he has decided instead to test his wares in the National Football League.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/bush_michael

ANALYSIS
Positives: For a player of his size, he shows very good foot agility and balance … Takes short, pitter-patter steps and demonstrates the loose hips to change direction and come out of his breaks with an explosive up-field burst … Very crisp planting and driving in his route cuts and has the feel for the crease and vision to locate the cutback lane … Intense competitor who will do whatever the coaches ask if it will help the team … It is very rare to see him run out of bounds with the ball, as he feels he can be more productive sinking his pads and driving with his legs to drag the opponent for extra yardage rather than taking the easy way out … Has that deceptive burst that allows him to surprise a lethargic defender … Does a nice job of changing angles, but can also build up to top speed quickly when operating deep in the backfield … Is not going to run away from defenders in the open just on pure speed, but can change gears, lower his pads and redirect smoothly to get past the second level (39 runs for 10 or more yards in 2005) … Shows patience waiting for holes to develop, but it is his ability to see the cutback lanes that is the result of his long run success … Most big backs tend to get erect in their stance, but Bush is capable of sinking his hips and keeping his pad level low … Because of his patience waiting for blocks to develop, Bush has had good success through the cutback lanes or bouncing outside to get big yardage … Has the loose hips to redirect and is quite nimble in the open for a player of his size … Even though he is a good downhill runner, his lateral bounce is more effectively used running outside … Does a nice job of staying low in his pads and has the smooth stride moving laterally to make the initial tackler miss … Can either juke the defender or slide step to elude … Sets up his cuts nicely when sliding and has the feet to take the ball long distances … Not only is Bush a capable third-down receiver, he has the natural hands and arm extension to catch away from his frame (13 of his 21 catches in 2005 produced first downs) … Catches the ball cleanly and does a good job extending for the off-target throws … Has that deceptive quickness to get open underneath and does a nice job adjusting and settling in the soft areas.

Negatives: Has a thick frame that can carry additional bulk, but needs to add overall muscle definition … Has a soft midsection, big bubble, good lower frame thickness, but only adequate strength … Adequate student with a mediocre Wonderlic score (12) that might set off some red flags, but has a natural feel for the crease and the ability to recognize coverages … Will need to improve his overall strength for the next level, as he is not a power back who will obliterate tacklers that get in his way, but does use his size and leg drive efficiently to break tackles … Adequate performer who needs structure in the training and dining room tables, as his weight has been a problem in the past and his lack of overall muscle tone is the result of his dislike for lifting weights. However, he seems to be conforming more to the program in the past year … Still has that mentality that he would much rather avoid and elude defenders than run over them … With more lower body strength and a better compact build, it will allow him to gain better success in attempts to run through arm tackles down field … Despite his mass, he is not a pile mover (stopped 13 times for losses and 19 times for no gain in 10 2005 games) working inside and needs to get stronger in order to attack the second level … In the 2005 Cincinnati game, he failed to distribute the ball away from the defender, resulting in three lost fumbles … Willing in-line blocker who uses his body well to occupy the smaller defenders at the line of scrimmage, but his lack of ideal power is evident when facing up to the down linemen … Tries to square up, but lacks the strong hand punch to lock on and sustain.

Compares To: Greg Jones -- Jacksonville … Bush is not as well-built or strong as Jones, but when both are healthy they are capable of moving the chains with their deceptive speed, stutter-step running style and natural hands as a catcher out of the backfield. Both have also had injury issues that have affected their play in recent years.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
burmafrd;1460776 said:
Bush was NEVER the #1 back. It was always Peterson. The bone has probably healed at last, but how long before he can really work out and build himself back up?

i thought bush was the best back for the past two seasons, then A.P....strangely enough because bush was more of a stable non injured back...

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
superpunk;1460743 said:
This statement was 87% made up on the spot.

I'm wondering what the difference is between 97, 98, and 99% with regards to judging a recovering bone. I guess I would need 12 years of med school to know that though.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't know about the second. Your first two picks are just so important. Bush does have a bust factor like any player. If you took him in the second, couldn't use him until 2008, and then he isn't all that you have wasted your number two. I wouldn't say it would be a terrible pick but it is much more of a gamble at two than three.

I do remember a certain Bills RB picked in the first. So thinking of Bush in the second is not without merit.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bush doing his best to rescue draft stock

By Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.
Archive

Louisville RB Michael Bush is making a last-minute push to rescue his previously sinking draft stock.

Bush was unable to participate at Louisville's pro day after undergoing a second surgical procedure on his broken right leg. Bush suffered the injury in the 2006 opener versus Kentucky. The most recent surgery was expected to take at least two months of rehabilitation before he could put it to the test. Apparently, Bush has decided to expedite the doctor's initial timeline due to the magnitude of the upcoming NFL draft.

On Thursday, I received a package from Bush's agent, Todd France, who sent a similar package to all 32 NFL teams this week. Enclosed was a DVD of Bush working out three days earlier (Monday). The taped workout includes Bush running 100-yard dashes, performing ladder agility drills and 225-pound squats, jumping rope and box jumping.

It's important to keep perspective when evaluating the film of this isolated workout. For starters, Bush is nowhere near 100 percent and he's understandably a bit heavy and sluggish. It's also important to note that the design of the workout is different than what is seen at the combine or at a pro day. With that said, the DVD does prove to NFL teams that Bush is taking the rehabilitation process seriously and healing faster than expected.

Also helping to confirm Bush's progress was an enclosed independent letter of medical evaluation written by Dr. James Andrews, who is known in the business as the premier surgeon to professional and collegiate athletes.

Andrews' letter (written April 18, 2007) begins by stating, "We have been closely associated with the follow-up and recovery of Michael Bush who is entering the NFL draft this year as a running back."

Andrews continues by explaining, "He has made remarkable improvement in the healing of the delayed union since that reaming and re-rodding. I reviewed an X-ray today and it looks like it is 99 percent healed. … I also have reviewed a workout where he has been running 100-yard dashes and gassers and is completely asymptomatic with cutting and running and doing some of the field drill activities." Andrews finishes with his assessment of Bush's progress: "I would estimate that Michael Bush will pick up in the NFL where he left off in college."

Prior to the injury, Bush was considered a potential first-round prospect in the 2007 class. Since then, the second surgery and concerns regarding Bush's eating discipline had many teams dropping him out of the first day. Now, with all the aforementioned information available, Bush's best-case scenario is likely to come off the board in Round 3.

As of Thursday, no NFL team has contacted Bush regarding a private workout, which isn't all that surprising considering his limited mobility. Some teams that could be in the market for his services include Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New England, Cleveland and Indianapolis. Also, do not rule out a reunion between Bush and his college head coach, Bobby Petrino, in Atlanta. The Falcons could target Bush with the 11th pick in the third round (No. 75 overall).

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN Insider.

LINK