News: PFT: Monday Night Football ratings up for the season, way up for Week 3

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
I wonder how much the ratings dip has to do with the number of people streaming content, rather than using cable/satellite/etc? Are streaming numbers even included?

You make a very good point. I would rather stream games than watch on tv. I doubt there is a way to monitor the amount of people streaming. There are just too many streams available.

eternaljester81

Reaction score
You make a very good point. I would rather stream games than watch on tv. I doubt there is a way to monitor the amount of people streaming. There are just too many streams available.

I stream everything now, including Cowboys games. It's something I've often wondered about when I hear about TV ratings.

diefree666

Reaction score
I really doubt the streaming thing is that important. People like to talk about it between each other but in absolute numbers its doubtful that it is significant.

diefree666

Reaction score
what century are you living in? Streaming is pretty big now..

Once again its more perception then reality. There are 325 million people in this nation. If 5-10 million are streaming that is a very small percentage.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Once again its more perception then reality. There are 325 million people in this nation. If 5-10 million are streaming that is a very small percentage.

You're out of your mind if you don't think streaming is playing an enormous part in the ratings decline. And it will continue to. Also, the number of streamers is far, far more than a fraction of 1%.

Your post is almost like a dusty relic from 2007.

diefree666

Reaction score
You're out of your mind if you don't think streaming is playing an enormous part in the ratings decline. And it will continue to.

Your post is almost like a dusty relic from 2007.

do a little research before you spout off.

Yes the capability is there for about 55% of Americans to do it (as in technical capability for various reasons)

BUT for someone to actual watch/record/etc a three hour plus event that way?

BIG difference in taking a video off of you tube, etc and watching an NFL game on your computer.

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
Supposedly Nielsen is going with a new formula to include streaming and such. Makes sense.

I read that yesterday as well and I thought it was mighty convenient for them to change the formula all of the sudden. I have to look more into, but from the comments I was reading elsewhere, the new formula is rather suspect.

diefree666

Reaction score
I read that yesterday as well and I thought it was mighty convenient for them to change the formula all of the sudden. I have to look more into, but from the comments I was reading elsewhere, the new formula is rather suspect.

I have always wondered about Nielsen's formulas. When you think about it, there have never been any real competition or anyone really working hard to see how accurate their work is. Except them. Supposedly.

EST_1986

Reaction score

Ratings are down due to the NFL's reluctancy to stream games on pay services.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/apr/25/illegal-streams-live-sports-sports-industry-group
According to the survey, 54% of millennials have watched illegal streams of live sports and a third admit to regularly watching them

I know I streamed the game last night, legally. The WatchESPN app with someone else credentials does wonders for cord cutters lol.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score

IheartRomo

Reaction score
do a little research before you spout off.

Yes the capability is there for about 55% of Americans to do it (as in technical capability for various reasons)

BUT for someone to actual watch/record/etc a three hour plus event that way?

BIG difference in taking a video off of you tube, etc and watching an NFL game on your computer.

I have streamed and will continue to stream all sports without any real effort whatsoever without a hiccup for at least the past 2-3 years. I think you're off-base in assuming that it takes much additional effort at all, especially considering the cost savings incentives of cutting the cord.

Beyond that, I think your #s are well off as well. The population of the US is far larger than the population of potential NFL viewers on a weekly basis. Think the number of streaming viewers is understated too, but I don't really have any way to quantify or estimate that.

Even if you assume your streaming estimates are accurate, 10M is 7% of an assumed 150M base (NFL fans only, which roughly half the population identifies as). With that 10M number growing each and every day, month, and year, it is a significant and almost certainly the largest contributing factor to the NFL ratings decline.

This is coming from someone who thinks the entire National Anthem protest issue is utterly ridiculous. I honestly just think this is common sense.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Being a dinosaur, maybe I'm missing something, but how would streaming affect market share percentage, at least in terms of televisions being tuned to specific programs?

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Cowboys always get ratings up. Half the country tunes in to see them win, the other half wants to see them lose. Why the Cowboys don't have more Monday night games is beyond me.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Well if I had known then what I know now, I would have boycotted all NFL games except the Cowboys. I was at the beach so the only other game I watched was Commanders Oakland.

I might do that the rest of the season if this continues!