News: PFT: NFL ponders taking conference championship games to neutral sites

Flamma

Reaction score
Could be but this year it would have been Pittsburgh and Detroit. Both at 9-8.
Yes. But since 2002, the realignment, 7 teams with a record of 7-9 would have made the playoffs. A ton of 8-8 teams would have made it.

Kalyan

Reaction score
This isn’t something that ever crossed my mind, but now that it has…I see many pros and cons.

I can fully see the league trying to turn it into two mini Super Bowls.

I don’t hate it, but I wouldn’t hope for it to happen either. Now that I take a look at the circumstances, I fully expect it to eventually happen.

Kinda sucks. I’ve been to two Super Bowls and two NFC CG at home. The home games were the real fun.

Why would the owners agree? currently the owner gets all the revenues from home game, but the NFL gets all the revenue from SB, not they want to get money from conf games too.

calico

Reaction score
They keep finding new ways to make me care less about the game every year. Congrats to the shield.

stiletto

Reaction score
I kind of like it. Cowboys stadium would've been a neutral site for many, many years!!

Fmart322

Reaction score
Yes. But since 2002, the realignment, 7 teams with a record of 7-9 would have made the playoffs. A ton of 8-8 teams would have made it.
Now with that extra game I think that'll decrease because lesser teams still have something to play for.
I understand adding an 8th team waters down the playoff pool a little but I'm just adding it so it's an even amount of teams so nobody gets a bye week. Just look at how Philly had to play 1 home game vs an average giants team and now they're in the NFC championship game. Meanwhile, the Cowboys had to fly to Tampa to play a division winner with a losing record and now has to fly to SF. If they win they have to fly back across the country to Philly.
I've been saying this for years, the NFL playoffs need to be updated.

Flamma

Reaction score
Now with that extra game I think that'll decrease because lesser teams still have something to play for.
I understand adding an 8th team waters down the playoff pool a little but I'm just adding it so it's an even amount of teams so nobody gets a bye week. Just look at how Philly had to play 1 home game vs an average giants team and now they're in the NFC championship game. Meanwhile, the Cowboys had to fly to Tampa to play a division winner with a losing record and now has to fly to SF. If they win they have to fly back across the country to Philly.
I've been saying this for years, the NFL playoffs need to be updated.
The NFL has had a bye week for 1-3 teams since 1978. It's what you get for being a top seed. Dallas had a pretty easy route to the championship games in the 90s too. But they earned it in the regular season. Who really wants to watch a playoff game with a 13-4 team against a 7-10 team? Or an 8-9 team? The best we'll see is 9-8. They don't belong on the field. Just so the first seed has to play? I don't know. I won't be looking forward to it.

Even this year. The Dolphins and Seahawks didn't belong in the playoffs. Last year it was Pitt and Philly. Once they went beyond 6 it just seems like there's nothing of value left.

Flamma

Reaction score
I actually like it.
In fact, I'd be for all playoff games being held at neutral sites.
I wonder if the owners would then rather host a playoff game over actually being in the playoffs.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Why would the owners agree? currently the owner gets all the revenues from home game, but the NFL gets all the revenue from SB, not they want to get money from conf games too.
Not much of that is correct. Revenues are shared, some to more of an extent than others, but the owners make up the NFL, it’s not them vs the league office while chasing consumer dollars. The league keeps its lights on off the top, but the rest goes to owners and players, not into Roger’s wallet.

Bottom line is if they turn the two conference games into mini Super Bowls, there could be more revenue, it would mean more money for everyone, likely whether you’re in the game or not….so they would agree and I actually expect it to happen.

I’m neither strongly for or against it.

I’d have been very against it until they implemented this new playoff format, which gives too much advantage to only one team per conference. A change may help balance that.

I can see many fans being against it, especially if you live local to your team and definitely if you’re a season holder.

Fmart322

Reaction score
The NFL has had a bye week for 1-3 teams since 1978. It's what you get for being a top seed. Dallas had a pretty easy route to the championship games in the 90s too. But they earned it in the regular season. Who really wants to watch a playoff game with a 13-4 team against a 7-10 team? Or an 8-9 team? The best we'll see is 9-8. They don't belong on the field. Just so the first seed has to play? I don't know. I won't be looking forward to it.

Even this year. The Dolphins and Seahawks didn't belong in the playoffs. Last year it was Pitt and Philly. Once they went beyond 6 it just seems like there's nothing of value left.
I disagree. It offers hope to teams. Extra games of importance.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Take all of the playoff games to neutral sights. Make it an nfl bowl series.