News: PFT: NFL ponders taking conference championship games to neutral sites

cowboyec

Reaction score
then whats the point of having home field advantage.
next they'll eliminate divisions within each conference and just rank the teams 1-16.
then they'll decide thats not fair so after a 21 game regular season...all 32 teams will compete in a post-season tournament.
then it still won't be fair so each team will be crowned a champion.

this is beyond stupid.
they are ruining the game because non-football people have too much time on their hands to think.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be very surprised if any other NFL owner is okay with this. But, then again, if they rotate stadiums, some of the lesser teams owners could get some extra money. But then again, what the heck do I know. :rolleyes:
They share all of the playoff money so that doesn't really matter. Part of the reason is when Booger went back to the NFL for some additional financing because he wanted to increase the capacity, they didn't think it was fair for the larger venues so they share the money.

Fmart322

Reaction score
I'm fine with home field throughout the playoffs but the bye week for the #1 seed is totally unfair.

They should add another team to the playoffs, 8 each conference. This way nobody gets a bye week.

All playoff teams are given a bye week to get reorganized and let players heal up.

Seeding should be done the same way they Figure out who's gonna be the 1 seed. Top 4 teams get home games each round. Division winners should still make playoffs but aren't guaranteed home games. If a division winner doesn't have one of the top 8 records then they don't qualify.
1 plays 8,
2 plays 7,
3 plays 6,
4 plays 5.

Far west teams should never be given 1pm et starts in the eastern or Central time zones.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the idea but 24 owners will not.

Having a home playoff game for the top team is enough and a lot of the time, that homefield advantage is because of the scheduling.

Hell, I am crazy enough to want all of the playoff games in other cities but playoff cities until the NFCCG. DAL-SF could be playing In KC, JAX-KC in BUF, NYG-PHL in SF and BUF-CIN in PHL. Each playoff market gets two sets of out-of-town fans instead of one and the city benefits more for backing the stadium.

Ask the businesses around ATT and even in DAL and FW about the difference in DAL home games and when two universities show up to play. Not even close. The Red River Shootout is a huge money maker for DFW as the old SWC basketball tournament used to be.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
That is just straight dumb! Teams that bust their ***** in the regular season should be rewarded with the home field advantage.....otherwise there would be no incentive to try and win important games late in the regular season.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Part of the pain/gain is having to go to a ugly cold hostile stadium

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
That is just straight dumb! Teams that bust their ***** in the regular season should be rewarded with the home field advantage.....otherwise there would be no incentive to try and win important games late in the regular season.
they get rewarded with a bye week and homefield in the second round. Now that we have the super wildcard weekend the 2nd no longer gets the bye. That bye is worth busting your *** in the regular season

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Don’t like the idea at all. It takes away some of the importance of having a good regular season record and being the number one seed. It would just cause more teams to sit starters the final game or two of the regular season if they can’t get home-field throughout the playoffs. You’re trying to get the best possible advantage you can get in the playoffs. It could result in more meaningless games at the end of the season. I can’t see the NFL ever doing this.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This is insanity. What fan would rather have to travel to watch their team play in the playoffs? Homefield is huge.

Ken

Reaction score
dumb idea, juwt like changing OT rules bc of one game.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Next idea: All games played in a season are for a championship and every team/ player receives a trophy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is insanity. What fan would rather have to travel to watch their team play in the playoffs? Homefield is huge.
Happens in college football all the time and if fans can afford the tickets at today's rates, they can afford to travel.

conner01

Reaction score
I'm torn on the idea. I actually don't hate the idea of neutral site conference championship games. I think #1 seeds already have a huge advantage with home field round 2 and the bye week. Frequently #1 seeds are not the consensus best team in the conference and we are going to tie breakers to decide who gets it anyways. On the other hand there is always something special about having a big playoff game for a home crowd in a city like Buffalo. This also eliminates more bad weather games which brings pros and cons, but man are they fun to watch.
I’m the same.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That's it, keeping taking the joy away from the fans.
Bingo!
The NFL seems to have no regard for what it's customers the fans want.
They just chase the dollars and take the fans for granted.
They have a history of this and if they keep doing it, it will come a time when they hit the tipping point.

JayFord

Reaction score
not only is it a bad move

its a stupid one....Imagine being the Number 1 seed and only getting 1 home game while the number 2 seed has 2 home games the wild card and divisional

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm fine with home field throughout the playoffs but the bye week for the #1 seed is totally unfair.

They should add another team to the playoffs, 8 each conference. This way nobody gets a bye week.

All playoff teams are given a bye week to get reorganized and let players heal up.

Seeding should be done the same way they Figure out who's gonna be the 1 seed. Top 4 teams get home games each round. Division winners should still make playoffs but aren't guaranteed home games. If a division winner doesn't have one of the top 8 records then they don't qualify.
1 plays 8,
2 plays 7,
3 plays 6,
4 plays 5.

Far west teams should never be given 1pm et starts in the eastern or Central time zones.
If they add another team, we're going to see teams with losing records as wildcards 35% of the time. I can't wait.