News: PFT: Report: Cowboys could trade for a running back

NewsBot

Reaction score
The trade deadline comes in only nine days. With four significant trades already happening during the 2013 season (Trent Richardson to Indy, Jon Beason to the Giants, Eugene Monroe to the Ravens, and Levi Brown to the Steelers), more could be coming. Ian Rapoport of NFL Network suggested earlier this morning that the Cowboys could…http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=profootballtalk.nbcsports.com&blog=&post=2218634&subd=nbcprofootballtalk&ref=&feed=1

Continue reading...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope not.

Unless another team is just about giving a guy away.

In today's NFL, running backs (unless they're elite) simply aren't... Well they aren't the value they were in Emmitt's day or even more so Tony D's day.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I hope not.

In today's NFL, running backs (unless they're elite) simply aren't... Well they aren't the value they were in Emmitt's day or even more so Tony D's day.
Yeah the most you want to give up is a late round pick.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
I hope not.

Well, another tweet indicated we may be looking at CJ Spiller. I'd give a second for CJ Spiller every day of the week.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Just another reason why you don't spend high picks on RB's. This game grinds them down and getting a 10 year shelf-life out of one is considered a win.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, another tweet indicated we may be looking at CJ Spiller. I'd give a second for CJ Spiller every day of the week.

I gotta respectfully say... pass.

To spend even more (draft) resources on RB would cause me to pull even more of my hair out.

Why not give Randle a chance?

Given this teams talent at WR/TE/QB and now the line is performing fine... Well I think the Cowboys could put you at RB and should score 30 points a week.

The problem is defense.

And after this season the team needs another guard and at least a couple picks for the defensive line. And Romo's eventual replacement needs to be considered.

So to spend a 2nd on a RB? I voice a resounding "NO". :)

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It was a BS report and I don't think they would trade for a RB, too costly. But I think Spiller is probably the best young rb out there right now.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
I gotta respectfully say... pass.

To spend even more (draft) resources on RB would cause me to pull even more of my hair out.

Why not give Randle a chance?

Given this teams talent at WR/TE/QB and now the line is performing fine... Well I think the Cowboys could put you at RB and should score 30 points a week.

The problem is defense.

And after this season the team needs another guard and at least a couple picks for the defensive line. And Romo's eventual replacement needs to be considered.

So to spend a 2nd on a RB? I voice a resounding "NO". :)

A second isn't all that expensive. Six defensive lineman were drafted in the second in 2013 and none are starting for their respective teams.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A second isn't all that expensive. Six defensive lineman were drafted in the second in 2013 and none are starting for their respective teams.

I think it's one of those situations where I value the draft pick more than the player simply because the draft pick can help a position or positions on the team that are of greater need IMO.

Zordon

Reaction score
florio always has to take a shot at us in every blurb he writes.

Rapoport explains that the Cowboys have begun to realize that the injury-prone DeMarco Murray isn’t the long term answer at the position. (Which would mean that the Cowboys have become the last ones to realize that Murray lacks the durability to be a franchise-type tailback.)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just another reason why you don't spend high picks on RB's. This game grinds them down and getting a 10 year shelf-life out of one is considered a win.
No doubt. And 10 years might be a bit of a reach. Not ot mention this is a pass first league.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
That same 2nd round also has the likely front runners for OROY and DROY (Bernard and Alonso).

Just because some 2nd rounders aren't starting in their rookie seasons doesn't mean it's not a premium pick.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
mike fisher ‏@fishsports 1m
High-placed #Cowboys source here in Philly tells me: idea of big RB trade 'is somebody's idea of a fantasy.' @1053thefan

Yeah its fun to talk about, but I don't see it happening.

Now, should it be thought about.....yes. No matter how many times we want to say its a passing league, its always good to have that threat back there and Murray has shown we can't depend on him.

Some are worried about trading for a player with an injury history also, like Spiller or DMac, but both of them are better talents than Murray so I would still do a deal for them if the price is right

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I would give a 1st for AD
The trade deadline comes in only nine days. With four significant trades already happening during the 2013 season (Trent Richardson to Indy, Jon Beason to the Giants, Eugene Monroe to the Ravens, and Levi Brown to the Steelers), more could be coming. Ian Rapoport of NFL Network suggested earlier this morning that the Cowboys could…http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=profootballtalk.nbcsports.com&blog=&post=2218634&subd=nbcprofootballtalk&ref=&feed=1

Continue reading...
would

OhSnap

Reaction score
It's like the National Enquirer has bought out all the rights to report on the NFL.