PFT: Romo missed a golden opportunity?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
POSTED 12:16 p.m. EDT, October 30, 2007

ROMO MISSED A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY?

Our initial reaction to the news of the Tony Romo deal was that, if Jerry Jones has waited this long to get the thing done, why didn't he wait until after the season? Romo's leverage was already extremely high -- it could have gone down a lot farther than it would have increased if, for example, his performance would diminish down the stretch of the 2007 season, or if he would suffer an injury that renders him unavailable deep into the 2008 offseason.

But one league source who is not an agent and who has no connection to the Cowboys tells us that Jones was wise to lock Romo in at $11 million per year and $30 million guaranteed.

The source also said that, from the agents' perspective, it's the worst deal he has ever seen.

"The dynamics were set up to change the market," the source said, pointing out that Jones has been desperate to find a franchise quarterback ever since Troy Aikman was nudged out of town. Taking all of the circumstances into account, the source believes that Romo's leverage was second only to Peyton Manning's after the 2003 season, when his crippling franchise tender forced the Colts into a corner.

In the end, however, the source regards the Romo deal as essentially equivalent to the contract signed by Rams quarterback Marc Bulger at the outset of training camp. But while the contracts are comparable, are the players equivalent?

Said the source: "Any team would give up Bulger and a first-round draft pick for Romo."

The market moving forward, as the source sees it, is that mediocre quarterbacks should get $30 million guaranteed on contracts averaging $11 million or $12 million per year. Elite quarterbacks should get $14 million to $15 million per year, with $40 million to $45 million guaranteed.

Thus, it just might have been a great move for the Cowboys and a bad move for Romo.

As the source explains it, Romo might have been influenced by the reality that he entered the league as an undrafted player, uncertain of his status and unsure as to when or if a real paycheck would ever come. Players like that tend to be less inclined to aim as high as they can -- and quicker to take a deal that, even if it doesn't reflect the market, represents more money than the player ever could have plausibly dreamed to earn.

Still, folks around the league who heard that the Romo deal might be coming were bracing for the same kind of shock waves that were felt when defensive end Dwight Freeney parlayed a handful of sacks in 2006 into $12 million per year and $30 million guaranteed. The only shock that arose from the Romo deal is that it does not compare favorably to deals done before the 2006 spike in the salary cap (i.e., Manning and Carson Palmer).

jchocolate82

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1736538 said:
Said the source: "Any team would give up Bulger and a first-round draft pick for Romo."

This put a smile on my face. It feels so good to have a coveted respected QB again. Now we just need to get him a young reciever to grow with and the dynasty can trully begin:D

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Maybe Romo is just looking to win games, and he doesnt NEED a cap-crippling salary, so he took a smaller (HA!) amount than he could have possibly got to help the team in the long run. That is my opinion. I dont think he really cares that much about the money. Its all about football with him, which is why I love that guy.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;1736550 said:
Maybe Romo is just looking to win games, and he doesnt NEED a cap-crippling salary, so he took a smaller (HA!) amount than he could have possibly got to help the team in the long run. That is my opinion. I dont think he really cares that much about the money. Its all about football with him, which is why I love that guy.

I think you nailed it. He wants the glory of winning the big games, he can make money through commercials, he can live the celebrity QB life and party it up. He wants the team to succeed and as a result he wants to succeed. This is exactly what we need and not a "cap crippling" QB.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I think Romo knew he could get more and didn't so the Cowboys could use the money to stay competitive. From what I read, he said he wanted to get a deal done now rather than later. Could it have been because of the Nov. 5th deadline? Some (including Jerry) said that was a none factor, but everyone outside of Dallas tends to think it was.

Romo said money wasn't an issue, that he knew he would be taken care of. Most shrugged it off as something his agent told him to say. I on the other hand do not believe that. I think Romo wanted a big payday (who wouldn't), but felt he didn't need to break the bank. He would rather have extra monies laying around to keep talent around him.

Lets face it, if one man eats all the cash, then you aren't going to be able to keep many great players around because they too are going to want a peice of the pie. Romo watched Tom Brady and Favre ante up with offers to cut their salary just so they could have talent around him. Romo isn't stupid, he knows it's players like Witten, TO, Bigg Davis, Ware, and Newman that make this team competitive alone with himself.

My hat is off to Romo for signing a contract that not only made him VERY rich, (deservingly) but allowed the team the room to make winning SuperBowls possible.

Woods

Reaction score
khiladi;1736553 said:
Maybe Romo is just happy with what he got...

Not to mention all the money he will make in endorsements, etc.

I doubt an extra $1-2mm/year would change his life in any significant way. And that extra $1-2mm will be earned via endorsements playing for one of the most prominant franchise in world sports.

superpunk

Reaction score
It was shockingly small IMO, for all the reasons they mentioned. I expected him to get at least 20 mil more over the same amount of time.

Maybe Romo's making good on all his talk about it not being about the money. He's satisifed that the contract is market value, and doesn't want to hamstring his team's cap like Manning and McNabb have. (Philly's is not hamstrung, but they spend so little of it, and McNabb takes so much, and it's only getting worse...)

Glad to see him signed, but absolutely this is a bargain deal for Jerry.

I call bs on anyone giving up Bulger and a first rounder. These sources clearly drink heavily.

aikemirv

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1736538 said:
POSTED 12:16 p.m. EDT, October 30, 2007

ROMO MISSED A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY?

Our initial reaction to the news of the Tony Romo deal was that, if Jerry Jones has waited this long to get the thing done, why didn't he wait until after the season? Romo's leverage was already extremely high -- it could have gone down a lot farther than it would have increased if, for example, his performance would diminish down the stretch of the 2007 season, or if he would suffer an injury that renders him unavailable deep into the 2008 offseason.

But one league source who is not an agent and who has no connection to the Cowboys tells us that Jones was wise to lock Romo in at $11 million per year and $30 million guaranteed.

The source also said that, from the agents' perspective, it's the worst deal he has ever seen.

"The dynamics were set up to change the market," the source said, pointing out that Jones has been desperate to find a franchise quarterback ever since Troy Aikman was nudged out of town. Taking all of the circumstances into account, the source believes that Romo's leverage was second only to Peyton Manning's after the 2003 season, when his crippling franchise tender forced the Colts into a corner.

In the end, however, the source regards the Romo deal as essentially equivalent to the contract signed by Rams quarterback Marc Bulger at the outset of training camp. But while the contracts are comparable, are the players equivalent?

The market moving forward, as the source sees it, is that mediocre quarterbacks should get $30 million guaranteed on contracts averaging $11 million or $12 million per year. Elite quarterbacks should get $14 million to $15 million per year, with $40 million to $45 million guaranteed.

Thus, it just might have been a great move for the Cowboys and a bad move for Romo.

As the source explains it, Romo might have been influenced by the reality that he entered the league as an undrafted player, uncertain of his status and unsure as to when or if a real paycheck would ever come. Players like that tend to be less inclined to aim as high as they can -- and quicker to take a deal that, even if it doesn't reflect the market, represents more money than the player ever could have plausibly dreamed to earn.

Still, folks around the league who heard that the Romo deal might be coming were bracing for the same kind of shock waves that were felt when defensive end Dwight Freeney parlayed a handful of sacks in 2006 into $12 million per year and $30 million guaranteed. The only shock that arose from the Romo deal is that it does not compare favorably to deals done before the 2006 spike in the salary cap (i.e., Manning and Carson Palmer).

Well, if it does not compare favorably to the deals of Palmer and Manning, please tell us the details of Romo's contract.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
I want the details as well. Maybe the team will release the details after the PC.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;1736556 said:
I think you nailed it. He wants the glory of winning the big games, he can make money through commercials, he can live the celebrity QB life and party it up. He wants the team to succeed and as a result he wants to succeed. This is exactly what we need and not a "cap crippling" QB.

Nice, feel good story. But painfully inaccurate.

A larger deal would not be cap crippling in any manner. We are in great cap shape and the cap has gone up extraordinarily in the past few years.

I think the REAL issue here is the Bulger's comparison. Bulger has not had a great season but a huge part of that is that the Rams suck donkey so even the league's best QB would look like crap playing for them

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Romo may have gotten more but both sides seem to be happy with this deal and in the end Romo is still a very rich man and Dallas is able to keep one of the top QB's in the league without being put into a situation where we would have to part with other top players. Jerry got his cake and gets to eat it too and Romo is pretty much set for life money wise

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Yep, Romo really blew it. The poor guy had to settle for $11 million a year and a lousy $30 million upfront. What was he thinking. :banghead:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Doomsday;1736598 said:
Yep, Romo really blew it. The poor guy had to settle for $11 million a year and a lousy $30 million upfront. What was he thinking. :banghead:

:laugh2: Bonus money is where it is at. 30 mill in hand not a bad day for Tony Romo.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Only in America would they say Romo missed out on something when he is signing an almost 70 million dollar contract.

Gob Bless The U.S.A.

;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The only guy happier than Romo is the guy from the IRS. So son where is my cut? Your uncle is in need and yes Tony this puts you in a higher tax bracket. :laugh2:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1736610 said:
It's official - Romo got screwed.

Gimme a break.

I'm tired of hearing about his relationship with Underwood, lets talk about this contract instead. :laugh2:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;1736611 said:
I'm tired of hearing about his relationship with Underwood, lets talk about this contract instead. :laugh2:
Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about Carrie, Britney, contract talk, all that crap.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
aikemirv;1736564 said:
Well, if it does not compare favorably to the deals of Palmer and Manning, please tell us the details of Romo's contract.
Not very detailed but you could see where Romo's contract fits in.

HIGHEST-PAID QBS Where Tony Romo fits among the NFL's highest-paid quarterbacks:

QB Terms Average Annual Value Year signed
Peyton Manning, IND 7 years, $99.2 Million $14.17 Million 2004
Carson Palmer, CIN 9 years, $118.75 Million $13.19 Million 2005
Tony Romo, DAL 6 years,$67.5 Million $11.25 Million 2007
Marc Bulger, STL 6 years, $65 Million $10.83 Million 2007
JaMarcus Russell, OAK 6 years, $61 Million $10.17 Million 2007
Tom Brady, NE 6 years, $60 Million $10 Million 2005
Drew Brees, NO 6 years, $60 Million $10 Million 2006
Brett Favre, GB 10 years, $100 Million $10 Million 2001
Vince Young, TEN 6 years, $58 Million $9.67 Million 2006
Donovan McNabb, PHI 12 years, $115 Million $9.58 Million 2002
Chad Pennington, NYJ 7 years, $64.2 Million $9.17 Million 2004