PFT: Romo missed a golden opportunity?

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1736694 said:
DMN Blog

A bad deal?
It's funny what happens when these deals like Tony Romo's get announced. Almost assuredly you will see stories that a player got screwed and had he waited he would've gotten more money. Blah, blah, blah.

A lot of times it comes from opposing agents, looking to call out other agents. They always feel like they could have done better than the other guy. Whatever.

How is getting $30 million guaranteed a "bad deal?" Tony Romo's deal is bigger than the one signed by Tom Brady a few years ago, and Brady had already earned a Super Bowl MVP award. Romo hasn't even won a playoff game yet. I guess Brady's six-year, $60 million deal was a bad one too.

Romo will get an $11.5 million signing bonus, although some of that will be deferred until next year. He also got a $4.5 million raise in this year's base salary. Add that to the $1.5 million he was making and the guy is pulling down $17.5 million over the next few months.

Yeah, that's a bad deal. We all wish we could get such a bad deal.

Posted by Todd Archer at 11:37 AM (E-mail this entry) Permalink | Comments (4)

I really agree with this post. One side of me says it's a business and so you have to maximize your profit margin...which he didn't do. But...he guaranteed himself $30 million in a league where ur career could end at any moment. What if he holds out till the end of the season and blows his knee up the last week? I still remember the Javon Walker situation where he finally quit his hold out and tore some ligament in his knee immediately afterwards. Romo basically just bought himself a $30 million insurance policy against injury at the cost of playing the sport he loves. So in that sense, it's a business from both sides and getting the deal done quicker ensures you can go out and risk injury without throwing away basically your only chance to make huge huge dollars in life.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember when Joe Namath signed a contract for the NY Jets for just over $400k and that was the end of the world. :)

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
J-DOG;1737414 said:
Romo is the 3rd highest paid qb in the NFL right now....Brady is doesn't make as much as him.

That's not true. Palmer, Manning, Brady and Favre all make more than Romo. Maybe even a couple of others, depending on how you judge their contracts.

Mongo

Reaction score
The team signed a franchise qb and didn't blow the cap. Romo is now financially set for life as of today w/ that guaranteed money. Sounds like a good deal all around.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
only way to win in this league now is pay cuts look at the pats. look at randy moss. they've all taken pay cuts so that more talent can be added to the team.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Remember the guys at PFT hate the Cowboys and love the Pats. They constantly criticize the Boys and call for fines and suspensions, while ignoring all the cheap shots and bad apples, like Harrison, on the Pats.

Romo signed a very fair contract for him and the team. He got more than Shaub, Brees and Russell and less than Manning, Brady and McNabb. Seems right to me.