PFT: Romo missed a golden opportunity?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Romo had no intent on playing anywhere else, he's made that very clear. He knew it would get done, and instead of dragging it out (which he could have done) or testing his value in the open market (which he also could have done) he signed a deal that would allow him to play for the team he likes in a huge market on the biggest stage in football. He's going to be playing in more nationally televised games than Bulger will ever see.

He's going to make far more from advertisements and other gigs than the guys that have bigger contracts than him.

The fact that this idiot thinks Romo not gouging the Cowboys and raking them over the coals makes this one of the worst deals he's ever seen speaks volumes for how slimy some people are when money is involved.

You don't think Romo getting 70+ mil is enough?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1736617 said:
Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about Carrie, Britney, contract talk, all that crap.

Can you guys start removing all the posts about Britney and all that junk? If I wanted to know the latest celebrity gossip, I'd watch MTV or pick up one of those craptastic gossip magazines.

thewivil

Reaction score
I quit reading at "not an agent" ... then a quote: "From an agent's perspective."

sago1

Reaction score
The job of Romo's agents is to get him the best day possible but Romo probably provides the guidelines under which they operate. I really think Romo has 2 set ideas: a. he wants to stay in Dallas, so get the deal done. b. he wants to ensure his team can retain those needed players and add FA players whenever necessary, so don't break the bank/cap. Romo is an unsual person/player. He loves to play and desperately wants to win/compete. I think he gave the Cowboys a significant discount. He wants SB wins as much as the organization and we Cowboy fans.

Besides I think Romo knows he will make up any money he lost in endorsements, probably working in 1-2 movies, a few books about his life and how he made it (will sell lots of books), etc. And there is always another contract when this 6 year contract runs out--which probably never happens cause Jerry will ensure Romo retires as a Cowboy.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DMN Blog

A bad deal?
It's funny what happens when these deals like Tony Romo's get announced. Almost assuredly you will see stories that a player got screwed and had he waited he would've gotten more money. Blah, blah, blah.

A lot of times it comes from opposing agents, looking to call out other agents. They always feel like they could have done better than the other guy. Whatever.

How is getting $30 million guaranteed a "bad deal?" Tony Romo's deal is bigger than the one signed by Tom Brady a few years ago, and Brady had already earned a Super Bowl MVP award. Romo hasn't even won a playoff game yet. I guess Brady's six-year, $60 million deal was a bad one too.

Romo will get an $11.5 million signing bonus, although some of that will be deferred until next year. He also got a $4.5 million raise in this year's base salary. Add that to the $1.5 million he was making and the guy is pulling down $17.5 million over the next few months.

Yeah, that's a bad deal. We all wish we could get such a bad deal.

Posted by Todd Archer at 11:37 AM (E-mail this entry) Permalink | Comments (4)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
In the sense that he could have gotten more, a good deal more, yeah it's a bad deal.

I'm sure he's happy with it, and most fans should be damn sure happy with it.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
theogt;1736698 said:
In the sense that he could have gotten more, a good deal more, yeah it's a bad deal.

I'm sure he's happy with it, and most fans should be damn sure happy with it.

I'm Damn happy!!!. Romo is satisfied. JJ is satisfied. And there is still money to re-sign Barber, TNew, Crayton, Columbo, et al., as well as 2 first draft picks and a couple of FA next year. Considering our biggest departure risks next year are TGlenn, Flo and Fergy. We should be able to fill those gaps pluse address RB and CB next year and still maintain the continuity and chemistry of this team. The only concern I have about next year is what happens to Garret

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I believe his undrafted status affected this too...

If he was selected #1...... fughedaboudit

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1736538 said:
The market moving forward, as the source sees it, is that mediocre quarterbacks should get $30 million guaranteed on contracts averaging $11 million or $12 million per year. Elite quarterbacks should get $14 million to $15 million per year, with $40 million to $45 million guaranteed.

If the source thinks this then the source is an idiot. Bulger has gone to multiple probowls and is in the tier right belwo elite which at this point i see Romo in as well. They make over $10 mil a year.

Jon kitna or Dilfer are mediocre.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1736629 said:
Not very detailed but you could see where Romo's contract fits in.

HIGHEST-PAID QBS Where Tony Romo fits among the NFL's highest-paid quarterbacks:

QB Terms Average Annual Value Year signed
Peyton Manning, IND 7 years, $99.2 Million $14.17 Million 2004
Carson Palmer, CIN 9 years, $118.75 Million $13.19 Million 2005
Tony Romo, DAL 6 years,$67.5 Million $11.25 Million 2007
Marc Bulger, STL 6 years, $65 Million $10.83 Million 2007
JaMarcus Russell, OAK 6 years, $61 Million $10.17 Million 2007
Tom Brady, NE 6 years, $60 Million $10 Million 2005
Drew Brees, NO 6 years, $60 Million $10 Million 2006
Brett Favre, GB 10 years, $100 Million $10 Million 2001
Vince Young, TEN 6 years, $58 Million $9.67 Million 2006
Donovan McNabb, PHI 12 years, $115 Million $9.58 Million 2002
Chad Pennington, NYJ 7 years, $64.2 Million $9.17 Million 2004
Eli Manning, NYG 6 years, $54 Million $9 Million 2004
Matt Leinart, ARI 6 years, $50.8 Million $8.47 Million 2006
Philip Rivers, SD 6 years, $50.5 Million $8.42 Million 2004
Alex Smith, SF 6 years, $49.5 Million $8.25 Million 2005
Matt Hasselbeck, SEA 6 years, $49.4 Million $8.23 Million 2005
Matt Schaub, HOU 6 years, $48 Million $8 Million 2005

Whoever compiled that list missed several renegotiations. Tom Brady (renegotiated in 2007) and Brett Favre (2006) both make more than Romo will. And some other stuff on the list is inaccurate.

Also, when you figure out how much money a player is making after a contract extension, you have to include the seasons remaining before the extension. If a guy is under contract for 2007, 2008 and 2009 at $1 million per season, then signs a two-year, $12 million extension for 2010 and 2011, he's not making $6 million per season. He's making $3 million per season. In Romo's case, the indications are that his deal is for six more years after this season (Jerry said he's signed "through 2013"), which means he has seven years on his contract right now. Depending on whether this year's money is counted in that "$67.5 million" total, he's actually making either $9.64 million or $10 million per season overall -- not $11.25 million.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1737016 said:
Whoever compiled that list missed several renegotiations. Tom Brady (renegotiated in 2007) and Brett Favre (2006) both make more than Romo will. And some other stuff on the list is inaccurate.

Also, when you figure out how much money a player is making after a contract extension, you have to include the seasons remaining before the extension. If a guy is under contract for 2007, 2008 and 2009 at $1 million per season, then signs a two-year, $12 million extension for 2010 and 2011, he's not making $6 million per season. He's making $3 million per season. In Romo's case, the indications are that his deal is for six more years after this season (Jerry said he's signed "through 2013"), which means he has seven years on his contract right now. Depending on whether this year's money is counted in that "$67.5 million" total, he's actually making either $9.64 million or $10 million per season overall -- not $11.25 million.

It was from JJT article.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101155

Hoofbite

Reaction score
how many millions does someone need, really?

sometimes just being happy has to outweigh a few extra million when you already have more then enough for the rest of your life.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1737049 said:

sometimes just being happy has to outweigh a few extra million when you already have more then enough for the rest of your life.

How many are you offering? :laugh2:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1737049 said:

He took $10,000 instead of $25,000 to go to Cowboys back in 2003?

Double-Meaning: he knew he had shot as QB of Cowboys and he knew HE WANTED to be QB of America's Team(for his grandma ;)

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;1736644 said:
Romo had no intent on playing anywhere else, he's made that very clear. He knew it would get done, and instead of dragging it out (which he could have done) or testing his value in the open market (which he also could have done) he signed a deal that would allow him to play for the team he likes in a huge market on the biggest stage in football. He's going to be playing in more nationally televised games than Bulger will ever see.

He's going to make far more from advertisements and other gigs than the guys that have bigger contracts than him.

The fact that this idiot thinks Romo not gouging the Cowboys and raking them over the coals makes this one of the worst deals he's ever seen speaks volumes for how slimy some people are when money is involved.

You don't think Romo getting 70+ mil is enough?

God help us all if we have to see Romo more times on TV than we see Peyton Manning right now. I wanted a QB, not a 24 hour infomercial about every product in the world.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Sprint ad where Peyton is wearing the fake mustache...but the 12 ads with him that come before and after that during every commercial break are a bit too much.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Romo is the 3rd highest paid qb in the NFL right now....Brady is doesn't make as much as him.
I would say as of now, Romo's deal is a very good one.