PFT: Roy Williams Suspension Coming?

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
WILLIAMS SUSPENSION COMING?
In the wake of Monday night's epic game between the Bills and the Cowboys, plenty of folks are asking when and if Dallas safety Roy Williams will be suspended for violating the rule that his tackling style spawned.

In 2005, the NFL prohibited the so-called horse-collar tackle. Williams had been one of the primary users of the technique, which involves pulling a player down from behind by grabbing the inside of his shoulder pads.

Williams was fined in 2006 for the move, and hit with a $12,500 fine earlier this year for another instance of it.

On Monday night, he inexplicably avoided a flag for a clear violation of the rule.

Another fine is a virtual certainty. But at what point will Williams be suspended?

Former NFL safety Mark Carrier was repeatedly fined for helmet-to-helmet hits, and eventually was suspended for failing to comply with the rule. Thus, it makes sense to conclude that, eventually, Williams will be suspended, too.

Unless he quits breaking the Roy Williams rule.

djtavo

Jesus is Lord
Reaction score
yeah and next year they will be playing tag football, NFL is getting ridiculous

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I did not see a suspendable tackle.

at some point this becomes flag football. Short of a facemask it should be fair game to tackle a player.

Don't laugh, they will soon be banning tackling a player by grabbing jersey.....

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
It's a stupid rule....this is a game played on instinct and there have been times where that is about the only way to get a guy down....that's why other players have been flagged for doing it.

If he didn't injure T.O. doing it, it would be a non-issue, but since a "star" was injured, they make up a rule.

RomoMan

Benched
Reaction score
Jimz31;1698387 said:
It's a stupid rule....this is a game played on instinct and there have been times where that is about the only way to get a guy down....that's why other players have been flagged for doing it.

If he didn't injure T.O. doing it, it would be a non-issue, but since a "star" was injured, they make up a rule.

I'm surprised Brian Dawkins never gets suspended-he's made a few PF late hits that ended players' seasons(i.e. Giants' Ike Hilliard in '02).

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
He wasn't flagged Monday because it wasn't a horsecollar. If you have one hand in front of the ballcarrier, it's not a horsecollar, according to Mike Pereira.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
I think PFT blog owner is a Pats Homer and Cowboys Hater.

He spends most of his days nagging about how horribly Emmitt Smiths commentary on ESPN is, while he overlooks stupid quotes and misteps by other announcers, the only other announcer hes been giving a hard time is diedorf for burping on air during a pats game. I broke the burping story last season when collinsworth did it after chomping on a beer and hotdog during the NFLN game giants/washington.

When the patriots spy scandal broke out he was saying how the punishment was fair. How this is done throughout the league. When the patriots players do something which causes an arrest he lets them go and not get any turd points, while other players always seem to get points for the minor things often overlooked for his teams.

He is now affiliated with the NFL and is using his "highly influential" blog to protect the image of his team while attacking hated teams. Some of you may notice its becoming cited as a primary source of mainstream media. Often "According to PFT" or "Per PFT." I'm sure theres nothing more this guy would like than to perpetuate a story about Roy Williams should get suspended right before his patriots play the cowboys.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;1698373 said:
WILLIAMS SUSPENSION COMING?

In the wake of Monday night's epic game between the Bills and the Cowboys, plenty of folks are asking when and if Dallas safety Roy Williams will be suspended for violating the rule that his tackling style spawned.

In 2005, the NFL prohibited the so-called horse-collar tackle. Williams had been one of the primary users of the technique, which involves pulling a player down from behind by grabbing the inside of his shoulder pads.

Williams was fined in 2006 for the move, and hit with a $12,500 fine earlier this year for another instance of it.

On Monday night, he inexplicably avoided a flag for a clear violation of the rule.

Another fine is a virtual certainty. But at what point will Williams be suspended?

Former NFL safety Mark Carrier was repeatedly fined for helmet-to-helmet hits, and eventually was suspended for failing to comply with the rule. Thus, it makes sense to conclude that, eventually, Williams will be suspended, too.

Unless he quits breaking the Roy Williams rule.

Unbelievable. Is there nothing at all in the NFL better to write about than pure speculation?

That is all this article is.

It's like me writing something about Aliens.

"Aliens: Coming to Earth ?"

Sports journalism today is a joke. Thank you ESPN for starting the chaotic out of control 24 hour non-stop coverage of sports. No matter if there is anything to write about. Just throw it out there and see if it sticks.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
People who post PFT garbage should be suspended from the Zone for 1 week.....kidding;)

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
This write up is La Basura de la Semana. Pro Foorball is a violent sport.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
Penty of folks are talking? What does that even mean? There were a couple of random people talking about it on the bus this morning?

When PFT isn't even trying to pretend like it has a real source you know it has to be real legitimate. /sarcasm

Use Your Illusion

Reaction score
What a blessing in disguise this would be. Get our two best safeties on the field together.

I seriously am starting to think Roy is ********. He goes for the horse coller tackle EVERY GAME despite the fact that he knows he's going to get fined for it and he knows it's going to be a huge penalty against us.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1698436 said:
People who post PFT garbage should be suspended from the Zone for 1 week.....

I'm all over it.

Regards,
The Zone ****.................:D

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
I guess if there were no Dallas Cowboys the league wouldn't have any rules to make to use against us. It's just amazing to me that for years the league loves to bite the main hand that feeds it and that my friends is the DALLAS COWBOYS!

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Two problems: First, he grabbed the front of the jersey too. Second, it was near the line of scrimmage (2 yard gain), which is not considered 'open field'.

PFT just happens to be the sound of hot air leaving an butt. Seems appropriate.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
If the guy that taunted Trent Green after he was knocked unconcious, trying (stupidly) to cut block him can avoid a fine, much less a suspension, why would Roy be suspended?

The Bengals guy violates the substance abuse policy by being high when pulled over, and gets one game. You going to tell me a tackle made while playing the game is worth the same punishment?