News: PFT: Should the Cowboys have let Dak Prescott hit the open market?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Yes! You non exclusive tag him to see what other teams offer. Not having any bids from opposition was a dumb move by management. You don't let his agent set the price. You let the league set his price. I guarantee you, we could have signed him for less.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yes! You non exclusive tag him to see what other teams offer. Not having any bids from opposition was a dumb move by management. You don't let his agent set the price. You let the league set his price. I guarantee you, we could have signed him for less.
You sir are delusional. We werent signing Dak for less. Regardless of what fantasy world you think we would have.

sunalsorises

Reaction score

Dak isn't obligated to sign or even negotiate with other teams which means he takes the one-year tag and everyone is back to square one. At least now Dak is locked up and the QB position is set for the next 4 years.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Actually no, what if he was given an offer, but refused it. They would still need to negotiate a deal. Then it would cause animosity. What if Dallas decided to match the offer, and he refused.
They handled it the best way they could have. And did.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Absolutely, he should have. Should have done it in 2020 tbh. If he had, I believe we would be paying in the 30 mil range with no No Trade Clause or restrictions on Tagging. But what do I know right? At least, that's what many of the fans on this board said when I suggested this two years ago.

So here we are, paying 160 on a 4 year deal. I guess I have a lot of company in that, "I know nothing" club........

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
If Dallas didn't tag him they would have lost what little leverage they had remaining.

If they DID tag him non exclusive, they would have to live with matching the short term deal Washington would have offered in the first hour....and they would have had zero cap flexibility along the way.

Anyone who thinks Washington wouldn't have done that figuring they won either way isn't paying much attention.

Maybe the market is soft for other positions, but not for a QB like Prescott, regardless of what anyone around here may think of him.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Should've transition tagged him last year and it would've resolved itself.

Without the burden of two first round picks the market would've appeared. If Dak accepted an offer the Cowboys would've had the right to match it.

Instead they spent two years negotiating against themselves.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Should've transition tagged him last year and it would've resolved itself.

Without the burden of two first round picks the market would've appeared. If Dak accepted an offer the Cowboys would've had the right to match it.
Should have double bagged it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Not completely.
Yes, completely. It is the absolute worst decision they could have made. The logic is "let's not let the agent set the price (which, he didn't anyway), let's let other teams set the price!"

The idea that they would have gotten Dak cheaper if he went to the open market is absolutely, completely wrong. Price would have gone up, probably significantly.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
They made a ton of money by getting fans to argue about if Dak should enter open market

Now they're making more by getting fans to argue if Dak should have entered open market

Everyone let it go oh my godddd dak is a cowboy deal with it already

Ffs

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
How many teams have come out ahead in the QB negotiations Wars? Perhaps the answer is that teams need to stop doing business the way they have been in recent years. It's clearly not working in terms of managing QB salaries.

QBs are being paid what the market is valuing them at. What you are wanting is collusion. Teams are free to take the market value or release the player. There is no compulsion for a team to pay anything over what their internal limits are.