PFT: Simple restructuring of Dak's contract doesn't solve Cowboys' problem

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I know another thread about his contract..........but this is probably what we can expect until he gets extended or the start of free agency. This is why I've questioned whether or not they can get this done before March 13. It's a pretty hard deadline .......only 2 weeks left.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...tts-contract-doesnt-solve-the-cowboys-problem

Simple restructuring of Dak Prescott’s contract doesn’t solve the Cowboys’ problem​

Published February 22, 2024 11:25 AM

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Taking the HIT and starting over does!!! Superbowl baby!!!

Reading this, what's the solution??? This story was first put on the morning news, couldn't read it without a subscription, so I guess someone else took the story and put it on there

John813

Reaction score
The 55mil dead is what it is.
Even if no restructure and he walks/his contract voids there's a 36mil dead cap for 2025.

Restructuring now, allows the Cowboys more breathing room for the start of the season.
If they do re-sign him, the prorated signing bonuses from the restructures will stay for each year they go to, which won't be cheap, but at the same time it won't all accelerate to 2025

Edit: I believe Dallas can add void years to the current void years without issue to spread out a potential restructure to knock down the 2024 cap hit even more(up to 2028) to get the proration over 5 years. Simple short term cap trick and if he's re-signed prior to voiding the proration still stays till 2028

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They are going to extend him. I have accepted that reality now.
Oh I agree but can they get it done by the start of free agency? That's the pickle they are facing.........otherwise, they are forced to get below the cap other ways.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I know another thread about his contract..........but this is probably what we can expect until he gets extended or the start of free agency. This is why I've questioned whether or not they can get this done before March 13. It's a pretty hard deadline .......only 2 weeks left.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...tts-contract-doesnt-solve-the-cowboys-problem

Simple restructuring of Dak Prescott’s contract doesn’t solve the Cowboys’ problem​

the mess Jerry created for himself. now he has to deal with it. I say, lets restructure and reduce cap his by 19M mentioned in the article. then June 1st cut next year and spread the 50M over two years (not sure if that's possible, so thinking out loud). it gives Jerry a way out. and perhaps allow him to give Lance a shot in 25 and draft a QB in 25 or 26 and rebuild.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
So who's right, who's wrong? Florio or the Zone cap experts?
Probably a little of both John but we do know for a fact, that they have to get below the cap before the start of free agency. No way around that..

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you think it's bad now, wait until they finally figure it out after they extend him that he's still never gonna be the guy and try to get rid of him. Lol we are chaining ourselves to this loser until he retires and we have to eat a massive cap hit anyway. Just do it now!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you think it's bad now, wait until they finally figure it out after they extend him that he's still never gonna be the guy and try to get rid of him. Lol we are chaining ourselves to this loser until he retires and we have to eat a massive cap hit anyway. Just do it now!
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, I mean what else do you need to see!!?? Proof is in the pudding, i'd rather go through the growing pains

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
We can argue over the solution, but the problem remains that the Cowboys front office has failed horribly with managing the financials. This team has continued to kick money down the road only to not be players in free agency. Now for 2024 the bill on Dak is due, and we're fighting over how to handle the Dak situation, which is most likely to end in the Cowboys again being non players in free agency no matter what happens with Dak.

The cycle continues.....

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hopefully the cycle won't be our starter going down due to injury and the backup comes in and plays, and the starter can't get their job back!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Chasing6

Reaction score

Only factor is whether it is a 4 year or 5 year deal and how much is guaranteed.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We can argue over the solution, but the problem remains that the Cowboys front office has failed horribly with managing the financials. This team has continued to kick money down the road only to not be players in free agency. Now for 2024 the bill on Dak is due, and we're fighting over how to handle the Dak situation, which is most likely to end in the Cowboys again being non players in free agency no matter what happens with Dak.

The cycle continues.....
Exactly ..........this is why I question so many threads consistently blaming Dak, Parsons, MM, and Jerry ( some they deserve, no question) but Stephen Jones gets a free pass.

Carson

Reaction score
Dallas needs a professional managing these things, not someone who does it as a hobby.

It's mind boggling that the GM has put Dallas in the position it's in.
What? New Orleans is $-83 million, Miami is something like $-50 million and needs to re-sign Wilkins.

Its pretty common