PFT: Simple restructuring of Dak's contract doesn't solve Cowboys' problem

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know another thread about his contract..........but this is probably what we can expect until he gets extended or the start of free agency. This is why I've questioned whether or not they can get this done before March 13. It's a pretty hard deadline .......only 2 weeks left.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...tts-contract-doesnt-solve-the-cowboys-problem

Simple restructuring of Dak Prescott’s contract doesn’t solve the Cowboys’ problem​

Published February 22, 2024 11:25 AM
This clearly shows the crossroads the Cowboys have reached.

They can either pay the price for past mistakes, or they can dig in even deeper and mortgage their future even further.

Big_D

Reaction score
This clearly shows the crossroads the Cowboys have reached.

They can either pay the price for past mistakes, or they can dig in even deeper and mortgage their future even further.
This is definitely a crossroads. I think it’s obvious what Jerry will do.

Swagger

Reaction score
Simple solution.
Leave the Prescott contract as it is. Let it play out then blow your nose and leave him to join a bad team in 2025 before he drops out the league a season or two after.

Draft a QB in round 1. Start Lance and nurture the draft pick.

The salary cap has increased by circa $30 million plus restructure and cut several other players to make room.
I would also take away access to his locker and not let him train with the team. Leave him to rot for an entire season. He will either come crawling back and ask for negotiations on more realistic terms or he risks wasting an entire year of his career. Teams will not be paying as much had he enjoyed the benefit of playing for yet another season on a strong roster in a weak conference against gash pass defenses. Also, a few rookies from this season will have likely made a splash plus the likes of Stroud continuing to progress then Prescott will have a tough market of only having bad teams interested in him.

From the Cowboys point of view - a practice squad QB went 5-1 starting with this team and a washed Andy Dalton had a better win/loss ratio of completed games during the same season as Prescott and with an even weaker offensive line. Given Prescott has the worst playoff record in nfl history, he really doesn't hold the cards if a sophisticated and professional approach is taken and there's no sentimentality given towards Prescott because he has had a tough time in his personal life - who hasn't - I certainly have but deal with it and don't expect preferential treatment of being overrated and overpaid.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is definitely a crossroads. I think it’s obvious what Jerry will do.
I tend to agree. Sadly, Jerry has a distinct pattern of mortgaging the future to hold onto the present. A present that he always feels is better than it actually is.

Big_D

Reaction score
Always! That’s really the ongoing problem with this team. The front office believes players are better than what they actually are and will stubbornly double down on that every time.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They can either pay the price for past mistakes, or they can dig in even deeper and mortgage their future even furthe
This^^^^def a crossroad, no question.
One possible solution IMO is only to extend him 2 years max ( 2024, 2025 ) This way you can clean up the cap issues and give him and MM one more year together, and see what you have in Lance.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Simple solution.
Leave the Prescott contract as it is. Let it play out then blow your nose and leave him to join a bad team in 2025 before he drops out the league a season or two after.

Draft a QB in round 1. Start Lance and nurture the draft pick.

The salary cap has increased by circa $30 million plus restructure and cut several other players to make room.
I would also take away access to his locker and not let him train with the team. Leave him to rot for an entire season. He will either come crawling back and ask for negotiations on more realistic terms or he risks wasting an entire year of his career. Teams will not be paying as much had he enjoyed the benefit of playing for yet another season on a strong roster in a weak conference against gash pass defenses. Also, a few rookies from this season will have likely made a splash plus the likes of Stroud continuing to progress then Prescott will have a tough market of only having bad teams interested in him.

From the Cowboys point of view - a practice squad QB went 5-1 starting with this team and a washed Andy Dalton had a better win/loss ratio of completed games during the same season as Prescott and with an even weaker offensive line. Given Prescott has the worst playoff record in nfl history, he really doesn't hold the cards if a sophisticated and professional approach is taken and there's no sentimentality given towards Prescott because he has had a tough time in his personal life - who hasn't - I certainly have but deal with it and don't expect preferential treatment of being overrated and overpaid.
Ummm….. The one year Dak missed 10+ games the Cowboys missed the playoffs.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ummm….. The one year Dak missed 10+ games the Cowboys missed the playoffs.
That's what's up, the year Dak had great great numbers, he threw picks in the game like he's a rookie, but really he's in his 8th season!