PFT: Simple restructuring of Dak's contract doesn't solve Cowboys' problem

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The 55mil dead is what it is.
Even if no restructure and he walks/his contract voids there's a 36mil dead cap for 2025.

Restructuring now, allows the Cowboys more breathing room for the start of the season.
If they do re-sign him, the prorated signing bonuses from the restructures will stay for each year they go to, which won't be cheap, but at the same time it won't all accelerate to 2025

Edit: I believe Dallas can add void years to the current void years without issue to spread out a potential restructure to knock down the 2024 cap hit even more(up to 2028) to get the proration over 5 years. Simple short term cap trick and if he's re-signed prior to voiding the proration still stays till 2028
This is what I want to know more about!! So his hit is 59 million right now, if we add VOIDABLE years maybe even just make him happy and round it off to 60 million, and add a few extra years, does that mean we can be done with him next year, so it's really just a 1 year deal!?????

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is what I want to know more about!! So his hit is 59 million right now, if we add VOIDABLE years maybe even just make him happy and round it off to 60 million, and add a few extra years, does that mean we can be done with him next year, so it's really just a 1 year deal!?????
He is not going to agree to that. Why don't we just restructure his deal for 2024 to the league minimum. People need to live in reality.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You forget Dak and his agent have all the cards. I am sure Jeruh would love to do that.
If you recall it was the other way around with his current deal..........Jerry and Stephen wanted 5-7 years but Dak and France would only agree to 3-4.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He is not going to agree to that. Why don't we just restructure his deal for 2024 to the league minimum. People need to live in reality.
I'm not a numbers guy, so can you please break this down for me in plain plain terms

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know another thread about his contract.
giphy.gif

John813

Reaction score

Well voidable years don't impact his free agency status, and IIRC the player doesn't have to agree to them. They are at the end of the day a short term fix to free up cap space. The team still pays that dead cap, just at when the contract truly voids.
There's no change in pay to the player if the player is owed 29mil in base salary, they still get that 29mil that year. Just a lump sum gets paid up front. Restructure with additional void years doesn't impact that signing bonus check he gets.

If they add two more voidable years to the 2 that are currently there, he's still an UFA at the end of this season.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm not a numbers guy, so can you please break this down for me in plain plain terms
Dak and his agent hold all the cards in this negotiation, based off the last contract. The no trade clause was a mistake.

Dak can comfortable play his final year at $58M and be a free agent next year and will get $60M for multiple years from another team.

Only risk for Dak is having a serious injury. Which I am sure he can get a nice insurance policy to help him with that.

Dallas has to basically agree to his agents terms or start the rebuilding process.

Without extending Dak's contract, we will be very limited in free agency and be challenged to even resign some of our own players. In addition to not having a starting caliber QB on the roster moving forward.

And no Trance is not the answer.

John813

Reaction score

Restructuring is preferred by most players. This isn't a paycut.
Restructuring is about reducing his base salary to league minimum, exact number based off experience, and converting the rest into a signing bonus.
He will get 28mil at once in the next few weeks, with the remaining 1.2X mil spread out over 18 weeks. Instead of 29 mil spread out over the 18 week regular season.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well voidable years don't impact his free agency status, and IIRC the player doesn't have to agree to them. They are at the end of the day a short term fix to free up cap space. The team still pays that dead cap, just at when the contract truly voids.
There's no change in pay to the player. Restructure with additional void years doesn't impact that signing bonus check he gets.

If they add two more voidable years to the 2 that are currently there, he's still an UFA at the end of this season.
That's exactly what I wanted to know and want to happen!!!!! So then what's all this talk of making him the highest paid??? Is that just making him happy by making it 60 million then adding those years/let him be happy, hey you're the HIGHEST paid qb for a year!! lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak and his agent hold all the cards in this negotiation, based off the last contract. The no trade clause was a mistake.

Dak can comfortable play his final year at $58M and be a free agent next year and will get $60M for multiple years from another team.

Only risk for Dak is having a serious injury. Which I am sure he can get a nice insurance policy to help him with that.

Dallas has to basically agree to his agents terms or start the rebuilding process.

Without extending Dak's contract, we will be very limited in free agency and be challenged to even resign some of our own players. In addition to not having a starting caliber QB on the roster moving forward.

And no Trance is not the answer.
I'm just stuck, so we can EXTEND, but in the end it really doesn't mean anything he'll be a FA or can be one in 2025, but by doing so helps spread the money over years thus lowering his hit on the cap so we an go ALL IN!!!!?

John813

Reaction score
That's exactly what I wanted to know and want to happen!!!!! So then what's all this talk of making him the highest paid??? Is that just making him happy by making it 60 million then adding those years/let him be happy, hey you're the HIGHEST paid qb for a year!! lol

Maybe two different subjects here.
Right now he accounts for 59.45mil on the cap for 2024.
Restructuring, depending on the length of the void years will drop it down to the 36-41mil range.
It's just cap tricks to free up more cap this year, but owe more next year-if he walks.

People are talking about extending him and his AAV possibly being at 60mil, but his cap hit for 2024 won't be at 59.45m or 60mil.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They should have planned to have a down cycle when most of the dead money hits…and also been more aggressive in the last 2-3 years.

If you’re gonna have eventual cap problems anyway, why not give yourself a better shot to win when the time was right?

Totally blown with some delusional plan that they can contend every year.

Cap problems, and Campo years, are coming.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You will all be disappointed one way or the other....nothing will be right until we win a SB and even then, I can probably predict those that will come out and say we were lucky or the other team beat themselves.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They should have planned to have a down cycle when most of the dead money hits…and also been more aggressive in the last 2-3 years.

If you’re gonna have eventual cap problems anyway, why not give yourself a better shot to win when the time was right?

Totally blown with some delusional plan that they can contend every year.

Cap problems, and Campo years, are coming.
My thing is, did they ever think he'd not be able to help get us further in the playoffs??

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe two different subjects here.
Right now he accounts for 59.45mil on the cap for 2024.
Restructuring, depending on the length of the void years will drop it down to the 36-41mil range.
It's just cap tricks to free up more cap this year, but owe more next year-if he walks.

People are talking about extending him and his AAV possibly being at 60mil, but his cap hit for 2024 won't be at 59.45m or 60mil.
Ok well I say do a 2-3 year deal, with that money, but this is ONLY basically a 1 year rental