News: PFT: Structure, not dollars, currently impede the Ezekiel Elliott deal

slick325

Reaction score
Jerry, give in on the offset language and the likely no trade clause Rocky is requesting. Once that occurs, how the money is guaranteed over the 1st four seasons will probably become an easier point to navigate through.

The team will be able to get out of it after year 3 of new money (5yrs from now) and that is probably what Jerry and Stephen want to avoid. Pure speculation on my part but I sense that the team wants to be able to pull the chute before Zeke turns 28yrs old in case his play declines. That becomes easier to swallow when there is no offset language and a no trade clause as the rep for the player.

Last edited:

ghst187

Reaction score
It’s REALLY time for Jerry to play hardball....
If he doesn’t sign the current offer which apparently is the money he wants... start the fines, let him sit most of the year, and we’d still have another year of him under contract with which to screw with him.
Every day he doesn’t sign it and show up he’s losing big money.
Huge huge difference in signing it vs sitting and losing most of this years money that is still the rookie contract. No one else will approach his contract demands, not close.

jsb357

Reaction score
I Would bet the hold up is over the morals clause and how if affects guaranteed money..,

Rayman70

Reaction score
How much of this is Zeke vs how much of this is his idiot agent?
dunno...but normally in these kinds of deals, its the agent. The player wants this over with and wants to get out there with their team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, what a revelation! This is the case with virtually every contract in the NFL because they don't do guaranteed contracts 99.9999999% of the time.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s REALLY time for Jerry to play hardball....
If he doesn’t sign the current offer which apparently is the money he wants... start the fines, let him sit most of the year, and we’d still have another year of him under contract with which to screw with him.
Every day he doesn’t sign it and show up he’s losing big money.
Huge huge difference in signing it vs sitting and losing most of this years money that is still the rookie contract. No one else will approach his contract demands, not close.
Lets screw with our franchise player

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The "deadline" is Wednesday before practice. If that doesn't push both sides close enough to make a deal, I think we'll see the standoff last at least a couple more weeks.