1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

News: PFT: The Dak Prescott negotiations, in a nutshell

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, May 21, 2020 at 3:26 PM.

1. Reality

Reality Admin

22,789 Messages
    40,272 Likes Received
    The Dak Prescott negotiations, in a nutshell - ProFootballTalk

[​IMG]

The Cowboys are focused on getting quarterback Dak Prescott signed to a new deal before the July 15 deadline for finalizing multi-year contracts with franchise-tagged players. And regardless of whatever has been said or speculated or reported or whatever regarding the negotiations, only two things matter at this point. First, neither side is going to [more]

Read Full Story

2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

62,774 Messages
    69,865 Likes Received
    "By not swooping in and making Prescott an offer he couldn’t refuse the moment he became eligible for a second contract in early 2019, his leverage grew and grew and grew and now he has more of it than any quarterback in league history."

This is 100% true and I put the blame on Stephen Jones for it. He has now mishandled this team's past 3 big contract extensions.

But one key consideration that Florio has not accounted for is the potential impact of a Deshaun Watson extension. If the Texans follow their recent history, they will overpay Watson and reset the market and Dak's asking price.

3. MarkP88

MarkP88 Well-Known Member

575 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    That's indeed it in a nutshell. Very good summation. So...a little under two more months of Dak threads. ;)

sureletsrace, 408Cowboy and conner01 like this.
  4. Endzoneview

Endzoneview Member

22 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    So Simms has be debunked, so his partner needs to chime in with some earth shattering news

"the Cowboys either will or won’t purchase from Dak the unprecedented leverage he currently holds"

Thank you Mr Florio for this insight.....

America's Cowboy and Runwildboys like this.
  5. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

10,174 Messages
    12,478 Likes Received
    Bingo.

1. Should have extended tank before the first tag.
    2. Should have played hardball with Zeke (ala Chargers w/ Gordon
    3. Should have locked DAK up at the same time as Wentz & Goff.

6. Hadenough

Hadenough Well-Known Member

5,078 Messages
    5,435 Likes Received
    Are you sure its Stephen's fault. We do know that Dak was offered a contract a couple times. I'm not sure Daks reaching for the stars.

Seven, DFWJC and Kaiser like this.
  7. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,212 Messages
    23,925 Likes Received
    I don't think we know but there were articles that when Dak got a hot start to the season and started being mentioned as an MVP Candidate, his agent moved the goalposts way higher.

8. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

62,774 Messages
    69,865 Likes Received
    In my opinion it is. I do know that Stephen’s first offer was a lowball insult. After which the two sides stopped talking for months.

And I’m basing it on how he mishandled the other two deals as well so I have history on my side too.

408Cowboy and America's Cowboy like this.
  9. cern

cern Well-Known Member

10,836 Messages
    14,967 Likes Received
    There is no fault on anyone's part regarding dak's contract.. just business as usual in the nfl.

DeathMonkey, Runwildboys and Jake like this.
  10. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

15,971 Messages
    19,321 Likes Received
    This contract crap is getting more testy by the day. Just when I wanna quit being involved, they suck me back in! It's like the mafia!:omg:

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 4:08 PM
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

52,982 Messages
    20,863 Likes Received

LittleBoyBlue and Bullflop like this.
  12. zerofill

zerofill Well-Known Member

2,867 Messages
    4,538 Likes Received
    I don't really care anymore... I just comment for the fun of it. If they pay him $40+ mil, we are screwed for the long term...
    I can't do anything about it, and neither can anyone on the forum.

But, still fun to think we have a say lol.

13. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

9,240 Messages
    9,329 Likes Received
    They have been trying to extend him for a while now, including during the time period discussed in that article, but Dak has turned everything down. Does anyone remember the numbers being talked about a year ago? Most of us were saying $15-17 million is as high as we would go. No way at all anyone was going to offer Dak "too good to pass up" money after his 3rd season. He hadn't proven anything at that point!

JBond and Techsass like this.
  14. Bullflop

15,971 Messages
    19,321 Likes Received
    LOL -- truth be told, I'm having fun with it, myself! Hey, if the FO wants to get screwed, have at it. Nice to know my dough is safe! ;)

daboyzruleperiod and zerofill like this.
  15. ChronicCowboy

ChronicCowboy Well-Known Member

2,240 Messages
    4,094 Likes Received
    5 years for 180....signed in July.....FACTS

16. InTheZone

InTheZone Well-Known Member

5,491 Messages
    4,771 Likes Received
    blessing in disguise that he hasn't signed. We've landed a new coach and sheriff and by not paying for below average/average/above average in regards to multiple QB traits that Dak possesses the coach isn't handicapped to a player because salary. Time will tell if Dak is actually the guy or simply a fraud.

17. zerofill

2,867 Messages
    4,538 Likes Received
    It's not that he completely sucks... he has his moments, just not $40+ million of them... lol

18. Bullflop

15,971 Messages
    19,321 Likes Received
    I guess if you're a billionaire, offering handfuls of millions is like gaming with play money.

Must be fun to have that much to waste! Somewhere, Dak is happy, dreaming of his $$$.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 4:29 PM
    daboyzruleperiod and zerofill like this.
  19. dplant22

dplant22 Well-Known Member

1,009 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    These are the types of things that happen when you have a lousy front office. They also had to pay Coop more because they failed to have an extension worked out at the time of the trade

bcavi and Bullflop like this.
  20. zerofill

2,867 Messages
    4,538 Likes Received
    Yeah, but... the cap is the cap... which is the problem with a lot of players. They think because Jerry has a $250mil Yacht, he should be able to pay them what they want.

Captain-Crash, kskboys and Bullflop like this.