PFT: Tony Romo: Dak Prescott has been productive since arriving in Dallas

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
why not? Romo got paid and had done even less in terms of team success

LOL.... And look how that turned out. BTW, Romo was much more accomplished when he signed his deal and it was never a record deal, the way you see the one that is being discussed by Prescott. That's the problem here. People like yourself say, "Why not? Romo got paid" but you don't recognize the facts of it. You say that Tony Romo had done even less and that's just not true. You have to at least be factual.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well you said you didn’t believe in paying him.!8 was saying I don’t care if they overspend or whatever. I have zero faith in this organization to handle this situation correctly. And I don’t “rant” about it lol. I’ve made one thread discussing his salary.

This is not true. I never said that. In fact, I've never said that ever. I said I don't believe we should pay him top money. I never, ever said I didn't believe he shouldn't be paid. However, you did say that it didn't matter to you what he gets paid. Again, not true and you have shown this time and time again. If it didn't matter to you, then you would be indifferent about it and you are not.

starfan1

Reaction score
LOL.... And look how that turned out. BTW, Romo was much more accomplished when he signed his deal and it was never a record deal, the way you see the one that is being discussed by Prescott. That's the problem here. People like yourself say, "Why not? Romo got paid" but you don't recognize the facts of it. You say that Tony Romo had done even less and that's just not true. You have to at least be factual.
how is that not factual? How many playoff wins had he done at the time of the signing? Now if you want to say tony had better stats Im ok with that.It was a different style of offense.It was designed to pass more and he got market value which is what Im endorsing for Dak.

Not 40 mil or even 35. Id like to see just over Wentz. Actally if they want to wait a year for all 3 it wouldn't break my heart

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is not true. I never said that. In fact, I've never said that ever. I said I don't believe we should pay him top money. I never, ever said I didn't believe he shouldn't be paid. However, you did say that it didn't matter to you what he gets paid. Again, not true and you have shown this time and time again. If it didn't matter to you, then you would be indifferent about it and you are not.
I am indifferent lol. As a young man I’m for everyone getting as much money as they can. As a Cowboy fan I want him to take up the least amount of salary possible. Indifferent.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
how is that not factual? How many playoff wins had he done at the time of the signing? Now if you want to say tony had better stats Im ok with that.It was a different style of offense.It was designed to pass more and he got market value which is what Im endorsing for Dak.

Not 40 mil or even 35. Id like to see just over Wentz. Actally if they want to wait a year for all 3 it wouldn't break my heart

Tony was flat better. I mean, that's why you context this in terms of team success right? Well, lets look at it. In 2013, Tony had played in more playoffs. He had already been selected to the Pro Bowl 3 times and not as a replacement player. He was certainly a much more accomplished player then was Dak and he had already been in the league 11 years. He wasn't playing on a Rookie deal still, trying to be the highest paid player in the NFL. All of this with less talent around him IMO. Last year was easily the most talented Offensive team and the most talented Defensive team we've had since the Super Bowl years.

You say his market but what is that? You say not 40, although we have no proof that the 40 came from the Team and not Dak's agent. You say not 35, although Zeke has been offered 30 and he turned it down. I mean, what is his value. His value is not what we think or what he and his agent think. His value is what a team will sign him for and there is nothing I've seen that says any team will pay him 35 etc. I mean, what is that?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I am indifferent lol. As a young man I’m for everyone getting as much money as they can. As a Cowboy fan I want him to take up the least amount of salary possible. Indifferent.

I guess I'm different too. I'm for everyone getting paid, who is actually working, but I'm not for paying everybody at the very top of the wage scale, simply because they want a raise. I feel like you have to deserve it. You have to have earned it. Dak doesn't deserve that kind of money but if he can get it, then I guess that would mean he is worth it. However, I don't believe he is ever going to get paid that kind of money this year. Now, I context this, I'm talking about an average of 35 over 5 or 6 years with most, if not all, guaranteed. I'm talking about a real contract here. I'm not talking about a BS Wentz deal where it's really 26 or 27 mil over the next 6 years. When you are young, it's really easy to look at things and say, they deserve to get paid as much as they can get. I do understand that.

When you get older, I think your perspective changes a little bit. You realize that you can't operate that way because the financials just don't work. You start having to consider other things and it makes a difference in how you see things. At least, that's how I see it. I'm not for the players just getting paid. I will always side with the team in situations like that because players, it's like the old days when I knew that players were gonna be Cowboys for most of their careers. Today, I know players are going to jump to whomever is going to pay more. It is what it is. I side with the team most of the time.

starfan1

Reaction score
Tony was flat better. I mean, that's why you context this in terms of team success right? Well, lets look at it. In 2013, Tony had played in more playoffs. He had already been selected to the Pro Bowl 3 times and not as a replacement player. He was certainly a much more accomplished player then was Dak and he had already been in the league 11 years. He wasn't playing on a Rookie deal still, trying to be the highest paid player in the NFL. All of this with less talent around him IMO. Last year was easily the most talented Offensive team and the most talented Defensive team we've had since the Super Bowl years.

You say his market but what is that? You say not 40, although we have no proof that the 40 came from the Team and not Dak's agent. You say not 35, although Zeke has been offered 30 and he turned it down. I mean, what is his value. His value is not what we think or what he and his agent think. His value is what a team will sign him for and there is nothing I've seen that says any team will pay him 35 etc. I mean, what is that?

Tonys second contract hancuffed the dallas cowboys but he was market value. Daks contract will handcuff the Dallas cowboys and it will be market value. I dont think dak is worth russell willson money which is 35 and I believe hes worth more than wentz which is 32 so you make the call

In terms of all this Tony was better he was worth it an he played on crappy team it s just old and has been rehashed over and over. He had his chances and he failed. That 2014 team was stacked as was the 2016 team and both were failed by the defense I think they are comparable.You also want to compare a QB going into his 4th year to a QB in year 11 are you serious?

Tony having less talent is garbage he had plenty of talent. Fact is tonys extension put the cowboys in a bind over the long haul and it was too much. Daks contract may very well do the same but in both cases they got no choice.The window is now. Remember that 2016 team was built for Tony but like the trend he was beginning to set he was broke-down.

lets be real here you like Tony more as a player than you do Dak is the feel Im getting from you. Im just the opposite and we can be good with that cant we?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
OK, I'll make the call. Somebody has to stop the stupidity. Jerry, you do it. Stop paying players on this ridiculous idea that "The Market" dictates what kind of contract a player gets paid. Take a chance here and see who will actually pay "The Market" to Dak. Put him up and let his agent go find a deal and then get some decent trade value and if a team is out there that will both pay this kid 35 or 40 and give up a 1st and 2nd, then that's the market. Take it and run. But if they don't do that, which I don't believe a team out there will do, then pay him what deserves and in 3 more years, give him a better contract if he has shown that he truly is the guy who is a top tier QB in this league.

There's the call, it's made.

starfan1

Reaction score
OK, I'll make the call. Somebody has to stop the stupidity. Jerry, you do it. Stop paying players on this ridiculous idea that "The Market" dictates what kind of contract a player gets paid. Take a chance here and see who will actually pay "The Market" to Dak. Put him up and let his agent go find a deal and then get some decent trade value and if a team is out there that will both pay this kid 35 or 40 and give up a 1st and 2nd, then that's the market. Take it and run. But if they don't do that, which I don't believe a team out there will do, then pay him what deserves and in 3 more years, give him a better contract if he has shown that he truly is the guy who is a top tier QB in this league.

I’m certain there’s a GM job waiting in the wings for you somewhere

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’m certain there’s a GM job waiting in the wings for you somewhere

I got a good job. I wouldn't take a GM Job but thanks for the vote of confidence. Interestingly enough, my Wife's cousin is married to the GM of the Angels. Yeah, I'm good.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...has-been-productive-since-arriving-in-dallas/

Prescott, who replaced Romo as the Cowboys’ starting quarterback when Romo was injured in the 2016 preseason, has earned that, Romo said.

“In the NFL — quarterbacks, running backs, receivers — it doesn’t matter. It’s about the production,” Romo told CBS Sports HQ. “Are you winning? Are you helping your football team win? And are you producing? And Dak’s done that since the moment he stepped on the field.”

The Cowboys also are working on deals with Cooper and Elliott — Elliott remains a holdout from training camp — but have expressed confidence at getting all three signed to long-term deals. Romo said it’s a matter of when, not if.

“All three of these guys, their deals are going to get done,” Romo said. “It’s just fun for people to talk about while it’s going on.

“They’re all great players, and I think it’s just a matter of time before they get paid.”
Yeah. He doesn’t meet the criteria of the anti-crowd. Oh well! Lol

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Except that you can't force Dak to sign anything.

But you could use the transition tag next Spring. If someone makes Dak an offer, the Cowboys can either match it or let him go. They have right of first refusal.

That would truly be "the market" for Dak.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Except that you can't force Dak to sign anything.

But you could use the transition tag next Spring. If someone makes Dak an offer, the Cowboys can either match it or let him go. They have right of first refusal.

That would truly be "the market" for Dak.

I never said you force Dak to sign anything. I said offer him a contract and if he don't sign, let him find a team that's going to pay him 35 or 40 mil annually and will give up draft picks to get him and make the deal if it's there. But don't pay him because that's what people who aren't involved want. They don't have to use a transition tag. They can just franchise him. Why use the transition?

Nav22

Reaction score
I never said you force Dak to sign anything. I said offer him a contract and if he don't sign, let him find a team that's going to pay him 35 or 40 mil annually and will give up draft picks to get him and make the deal if it's there. But don't pay him because that's what people who aren't involved want. They don't have to use a transition tag. They can just franchise him. Why use the transition?
The downside is you lose a good, young QB. Nooooo thanks!

It’s hard as hell to find a QB who can produce and win like Dak has. The draft is a total crapshoot. Some teams go 10+ years between good QBs. Dallas had mediocre QB play for years between Aikman and Romo, and that’s why we only made the playoffs once in all those years (2003: Parcells’ 1st year, the NFL’s #1 defense and Quincy Carter BARELY were able to squeak into the playoffs, only to be crushed in the Wild Card round because our offense was complete garbage).

I’m not reliving that, not when we already have a good QB in our back pocket. Find a way to get it done. The arrow for this franchise is pointing up, let’s keep it that way.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The downside is you lose a good, young QB. Nooooo thanks!

It’s hard as hell to find a QB who can produce and win like Dak has. The draft is a total crapshoot. Some teams go 10+ years between good QBs. Dallas had mediocre QB play for years between Aikman and Romo, and that’s why we only made the playoffs once in all those years (2003: Parcells’ 1st year, the NFL’s #1 defense and Quincy Carter BARELY were able to squeak into the playoffs, only to be crushed in the Wild Card round because our offense was complete garbage).

I’m not reliving that, not when we already have a good QB in our back pocket. Find a way to get it done. The arrow for this franchise is pointing up, let’s keep it that way.

You lose a QB but you gain plenty of ammo to be able to move up in the draft to get another one this year. I believe in the talent of the OL here. I believe in the talent on the other side of the ball. I believe that if we have a decent QB, we can win. I believe that Dak has some things that are special but those things are related, more so, to his leadership etc., and less about his actual physical skill set. I believe that a kid like Fromm has better skills out of the gate, in terms of passing the ball, then Dak does now.

So that we are clear, I would rather move forward with Dak but not at the price of sacrificing all it would take to keep the pieces in place that allow Dak to win. I have seen nothing that makes me believe that Dak is capable of overcoming the eventual talent deficiency that would surely follow a 40 mil contract. I like the guy, I would rather go with him, but not if it means spending too much cap. I mean, it's possible that Dak gets better and becomes one of the very top QBs in this league but I haven't seen it. At his very best, he's still only top 10 maybe and I mean, lets be honest here, the QBs in this league who are able to overcome talent deficiencies are maybe 4 or 5 in this league? And that's at his very best, which is not the standard for Dak, at this point. Will he take that next step? I honestly don't know and I'm not in favor of giving him a long term contract for crazy money, long term with lots of guarantees. I'm not in. If he shows he's that guy, then I'm all in but he has not done that. I don't care what anybody says, I watch him too, with no malice, no bias, and I haven't seen it, to this point. If Dak wants to win, then he needs to understand that the deal for him is on table now. If he shows more, he'll get more but it's foolish to invest what he is asking for when we don't know if he is that guy. I'm out on that. Show me you are that guy and I'm cool with it because that means that you don't need the league leading rusher a top 5 WR or whatever else it might take. That means that you can do it like Brady does or Breezy does. Those guys don't need the best players around them. They get it done with good players and that allows you to manage your cap.

That's the deal for me.

Reactions: Coy

Nav22

Reaction score
You lose a QB but you gain plenty of ammo to be able to move up in the draft to get another one this year. I believe in the talent of the OL here. I believe in the talent on the other side of the ball. I believe that if we have a decent QB, we can win. I believe that Dak has some things that are special but those things are related, more so, to his leadership etc., and less about his actual physical skill set. I believe that a kid like Fromm has better skills out of the gate, in terms of passing the ball, then Dak does now.

So that we are clear, I would rather move forward with Dak but not at the price of sacrificing all it would take to keep the pieces in place that allow Dak to win. I have seen nothing that makes me believe that Dak is capable of overcoming the eventual talent deficiency that would surely follow a 40 mil contract. I like the guy, I would rather go with him, but not if it means spending too much cap. I mean, it's possible that Dak gets better and becomes one of the very top QBs in this league but I haven't seen it. At his very best, he's still only top 10 maybe and I mean, lets be honest here, the QBs in this league who are able to overcome talent deficiencies are maybe 4 or 5 in this league? And that's at his very best, which is not the standard for Dak, at this point. Will he take that next step? I honestly don't know and I'm not in favor of giving him a long term contract for crazy money, long term with lots of guarantees. I'm not in. If he shows he's that guy, then I'm all in but he has not done that. I don't care what anybody says, I watch him too, with no malice, no bias, and I haven't seen it, to this point. If Dak wants to win, then he needs to understand that the deal for him is on table now. If he shows more, he'll get more but it's foolish to invest what he is asking for when we don't know if he is that guy. I'm out on that. Show me you are that guy and I'm cool with it because that means that you don't need the league leading rusher a top 5 WR or whatever else it might take. That means that you can do it like Brady does or Breezy does. Those guys don't need the best players around them. They get it done with good players and that allows you to manage your cap.

That's the deal for me.
Dak’s only played 3 years and is already a top 10-15 QB. Not sure why you’d assume he couldn’t get even better, as most QBs don’t peak this early.

The league is full of talented QBs with great arms who can’t do squat when the lights get bright. QB play is MUCH more mental than it is physical, which is why QBs in their mid-late 30s are still so productive. Jake Fromm could very well end up being a total bust, just like half of all 1st-round QBs end up being.

I’m not in favor of rolling the dice at QB, but that’s just me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dak’s only played 3 years and is already a top 10-15 QB. Not sure why you’d assume he couldn’t get even better, as most QBs don’t peak this early.

The league is full of talented QBs with great arms who can’t do squat when the lights get bright. QB play is MUCH more mental than it is physical, which is why QBs in their mid-late 30s are still so productive. Jake Fromm could very well end up being a total bust, just like half of all 1st-round QBs end up being.

I’m not in favor of rolling the dice at QB, but that’s just me.

No. He is only that on this board. Nobody in the NFL says Dak is a top 10 QB, to this point. Middle of the pack, yeah I hear that all the time. Hey, if you want to say he is, that's fine with me but I see him as middle of the pack myself and that's just the truth of it. You can point to wins and I respect those more then most but the truth is that if you are going to get paid like the top QB in the NFL, then he better be Brady or Breezy good and he aint. He aint even in the same area code as those guys, IMO.

Last edited:

Nav22

Reaction score
No. He is only that on this board. Nobody in the NFL says Dak is a top 10 QB, to this point. Middle of the pack, yeah I hear that all the time. Hey, if you want to say he is, that's fine with me but I see him as middle of the pack myself and that's just the truth of it. You can point to wins and I respect those more then most but the truth is that if you are going to get paid like the top QB in the NFL, then he better be Brady or Breezy good and he aint. He aint even in the same area code as those guys, IMO.
The rising salary cap is the only reason his contract would be among the top of the NFL.

I personally don’t think there are 10 QBs better than Dak.

As for how he’s rated by others, I’ll point out that anytime the Cowboys have a good QB, he’s ridiculously underrated by the masses. Troy Aikman, in his heydey, received the exact same criticism Dak gets now (“carried by the OL/RB/defense”), and Tony Romo was criminally underrated for pretty much his entire career. Hell, Romo was a LAUGHINGSTOCK to the masses. When 90% of all NFL fans can’t stand you because of the team you play for, you’re not going to get a fair shake from them.

Dak’s 32-16 with clutch wins galore and very good numbers. If there’s 10 guys better in the NFL, I haven’t seen them. There certainly have not been 10 more SUCCESSFUL QBs since 2016.