PFT: Wentz's deal complicates Dak talks

glimmerman

Reaction score
Wentz isn't making that money until his rookie contract expires which means moving forward he's only averaging about 25 million a year, not 32. This does not complicate Dak's negotiations for a new deal.
Offer 30 million a year and play around with the guaranteed money till they make a agreement.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Perhaps we need to consider the possibility that paying Dak 25 Mil a season isn't a "Team Friendly" deal. Perhaps that's what he's actually worth, in terms of what teams will pay for him. I mean, there are two sides to every story right? Dak can not be playing football at all, working a construction job and snap his back as well. Happens everyday.
But Daks not a construction worker,, he is a decent/good NFL QB.
If I were a gambler, and I know an oil man that is, I would trade him to the highest bidder if Jerry feels his back is against the wall, and he doesn't want to allocate Wentz money to Dak and bury our cap.
It wont happen, Dak will get payed top shelf contract money,, but he would be a valuable trading option for other teams in need.

John813

Reaction score
IMO
Add more years to this extension to where the higher cap hits(not true salary) are in years 4-6 and can be restructured into an extension where he gets more real money upfront again and lower the cap hit.
And escalators like playoff wins and probowl/All Pro nominations.

Majority of his money will come via a signing bonus, either at signing or over the first 12-24 months. By the time he hits year 4 the actual cash to his pocket could be 60-70% of his cap hit.

If he is still playing well, restructure, take another huge SB home and the team can get relief from the cap hit if needed.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Considering the top quarterback salary goes up every time a top quarterback signs, $30 mil a year today might just be a "team friendly" contract, if it's at least a 4 year contract.

Can't focus too much on what to pay Dak as far as what others are getting now, have to factor in the future salaries should you wait until after this season to sign Dak to a new contract as well...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Guess we can safely assume Wentz' back problems have been resolved, can't see the Iggles giving somebody with an iffy back over $100 mil in guaranteed money...

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Considering the top quarterback salary goes up every time a top quarterback signs, $30 mil a year today might just be a "team friendly" contract, if it's at least a 4 year contract.

Can't focus too much on what to pay Dak as far as what others are getting now, have to factor in the future salaries should you wait until after this season to sign Dak to a new contract as well...

+1......you mean like this?

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...t-a-year-later-which-is-why-you-shouldnt-be-w

GenoT

Reaction score
Nothing better to wake up to on a muggy Monday morning than yet another click-bait “Dak contract” article.

Now I can justify a second Bloody Mary.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
But Daks not a construction worker,, he is a decent/good NFL QB.
If I were a gambler, and I know an oil man that is, I would trade him to the highest bidder if Jerry feels his back is against the wall, and he doesn't want to allocate Wentz money to Dak and bury our cap.
It wont happen, Dak will get payed top shelf contract money,, but he would be a valuable trading option for other teams in need.

I guess I don't understand. I mean, everybody knows that Dak is not a construction worker. That is kinda the point. I don't think the team wants to trade Dak but I agree, he has some value in that regard.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Wentz isn't making that money until his rookie contract expires which means moving forward he's only averaging about 25 million a year, not 32. This does not complicate Dak's negotiations for a new deal.
Exactly, sort of. Here's the difference Wentz was a first-round pick, and he's been making millions of dollars since he's been in the league. In contrast, Dak has been getting peanuts because of where he was drafted. Wentz at least last I checked counted 8,487,926 against the cap this year. I don't know if they merge that with the new deal to lower his salary throughout his total 6 years he'll be under contract. The Extension was for 32 mill a year for an extra 4 years.

On the other hand Prescott counts against the Cap about $2,120,848. He severely outplayed his contract for 3 years. He should demand more money. He should have that contract this year with a raise just so there's not bad blood at a minimum.

No I don't think he's Wentz as far as talent, but he's proven to be a really good NFL QB, and with the surrounding cast I think he can win a Super Bowl. The latest is Prescott, and the front office are far apart. I'm rooting for Prescott to stick to his guns, and am hoping he gets his money.