PFT: Will McClay's response to Deion

Creeper

Reaction score
I have to disagree with Deion. Look at the drafted players and the majority of them are black. I think the players at HBCUs are just not as good as players at larger schools. Let's be honest, if you are a black athlete and a Division 1 university offers you a full scholarship would you turn it down to go to Jackson State or Grambling? That's not to say that HBCU players should not be drafted. Some are, some sign as UDFAs. I respect Deion's passion but I think he is wrong.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Translate: Will's implying this is about Deion, not the players

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...lay-counters-deion-sanders-ashamed-criticism/

Cowboys’ Will McClay counters Deion Sanders’ “ashamed” criticism​

Posted by Charean Williams on May 2, 2023, 7:49 PM EDT

The Patriots selected defensive back Isaiah Bolden of Jackson State, the only player from an HBCU program to hear his name called on draft day.

That prompted University of Colorado head coach Deion Sanders, a Pro Football Hall of Famer who previously coached at Jackson State, to tweet that he’s “ashamed” of the 31 teams that did not select a single HBCU player.

Bolden, who was drafted in the seventh round, agreed with Sanders.

“Only time I’ll speak on this,” Bolden said. “I agree 1000 percent with his statement. [I’m] beyond thankful for the opportunity to be selected by the Patriots. Let’s get to work.”

On Tuesday, Cowboys vice president of player personnel Will McClay was asked about the criticism leveled at the NFL by Sanders, who spent part of his playing career with the Cowboys.

“Deion’s doing a great job of promoting HBCUs and promoting Colorado and all those things,” McClay said, via Mike Fisher of SI.com. “And so that’s part of what the deal is. He wants to see players drafted. We want to draft good football players and good football players come from everywhere.”
While I appreciate Deion trying to champion the HBC’s, its ridiculous to think teams that would draft players from every division of any college that has talent would purposely ignore the HBC’s.
I don't believe NFL teams are intentionally not putting HBCU program players on their draft board.

The players just aren't as good.
There is a significant list of NFL players that came from those schools.

Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Everson Walls (udfa).

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Deion just virtue signaling in hopes of getting a positive reaction from social media.

The dude left Jackson for Colorado.. lol
No one is talking now but I'm hearing/reading nuggets about many unhappy parents.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I don't believe NFL teams are intentionally not putting HBCU program players on their draft board.

The players just aren't as good.
You are Joking Right ! Jerry Rice, Walter Payton and a long list of players from HBCU's including our own Nate Newton and Harvey Martin as well as countless others

I Don't understand what you mean. Not as Good ??????

ghst187

Reaction score
Is there implication this is a race issue?
I feel like that’s what’s going on for some reason.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Is there implication this is a race issue?
I feel like that’s what’s going on for some reason.
No! I don't believe that at all......we can argue the same issue with many Division 2/3 conferences

Mr_437

Reaction score
Deion is still promoting for HBCUs, and they need it. The players have to ball out once they get to the league to create interest in the conference.

It is what it is, Deion jumped ship first good offer he liked to put his Son on, so he knows the situation.