PFT: Will McClay's response to Deion

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I applaud the benefits for HBCUs that Deion’s coaching has resulted in but I believe it is more vanity project and brand for him, then the intentions to amplify HBCUs.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I applaud the benefits for HBCUs that Deion’s coaching has resulted in but I believe it is more vanity project and brand for him, then the intentions to amplify HBCUs.
there's not an issue, but hes creating 1. Just look at last weeks draft. Those kids he will be coaching dont deserve this drama. Many are leaving his program because of him.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Is there implication this is a race issue?
I feel like that’s what’s going on for some reason.
No it's not a race issue on my part. I was simply asking where the notion came about HBCU players not being as good, When The ALL time leaders hail from HBCU's?

Payton, Rice, Harvey Martin, Newton Sharpe, Just to name a few. Race has nothing to do with it for me. It is and has been about talent

Rayman70

Reaction score
No it's not a race issue on my part. I was simply asking where the notion came about HBCU players not being as good, When The ALL time leaders hail from HBCU's?

Payton, Rice, Harvey Martin, Newton Sharpe, Just to name a few. Race has nothing to do with it for me. It is and has been about talent
well said. Will McClay agrees

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
there's not an issue, but hes creating 1. Just look at last weeks draft. Those kids he will be coaching dont deserve this drama. Many are leaving his program because of him.
I feel he’s just executing his agenda to use the jobs he gets to move up the coaching tree. I’m good with that but don’t pretend th me HBCUs are any sort of priority. Again, it’s about himself. I hate to judge someone’s intentions, but there is too much history to ignore.

No doubt if given the chance, he’d leave his current role after a year of it were higher profile even if it wasn’t a better job.

Verdict

Reaction score
Translate: Will's implying this is about Deion, not the players

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...lay-counters-deion-sanders-ashamed-criticism/

Cowboys’ Will McClay counters Deion Sanders’ “ashamed” criticism​

Posted by Charean Williams on May 2, 2023, 7:49 PM EDT

The Patriots selected defensive back Isaiah Bolden of Jackson State, the only player from an HBCU program to hear his name called on draft day.

That prompted University of Colorado head coach Deion Sanders, a Pro Football Hall of Famer who previously coached at Jackson State, to tweet that he’s “ashamed” of the 31 teams that did not select a single HBCU player.

Bolden, who was drafted in the seventh round, agreed with Sanders.

“Only time I’ll speak on this,” Bolden said. “I agree 1000 percent with his statement. [I’m] beyond thankful for the opportunity to be selected by the Patriots. Let’s get to work.”

On Tuesday, Cowboys vice president of player personnel Will McClay was asked about the criticism leveled at the NFL by Sanders, who spent part of his playing career with the Cowboys.

“Deion’s doing a great job of promoting HBCUs and promoting Colorado and all those things,” McClay said, via Mike Fisher of SI.com. “And so that’s part of what the deal is. He wants to see players drafted. We want to draft good football players and good football players come from everywhere.”
I have a fairly strong opinion about Deion’s comments but I don’t think they are politically correct so I will refrain from stating said strong opinions. Lol.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If a player is good enough for the NFL and they don’t have any major off the field issues they’ll get drafted no matter what school they play for.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
IMO, people are missing the ulterior motive here. Deion knows full well how competitive the recruiting world is and the challenges he faces at smaller programs.

His comment wasn’t really directed at the NFL, it was directed at his team and future recruits. If they think he will go to the mat and fight for them, that’s great optics to leverage in the future. If his “celebrity“ status gives him a microphone, he’s going to leverage it and I would too.

McClay isn’t dumb and knew full well what Deion was trying to accomplish. IMO, made a calculated decision. It isn’t a race thing…it’s a recruiting thing.

SiCk_DiAbLo

Reaction score
So Deion is pushing teams who to Draft? But jumped ship as soon as that big offer came, Deion was always about that money! Left those kids from Jackson State flat...

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
The NFL doesn't care about anything but that you can play football. They even draft, recruit, continue to hire criminals who are currently in the league. As long as you can help bring a W, that is what teams really care about no matter how sad it is character is only a tiny % of it as long as the player is manageable. Once they are not then they get the boot and another team picks them up till they run their crap out of the league. This is just Dion trying to bring attention for himself and to be put in the media which he accomplished.

DanA

Reaction score
Dieon should be ashamed for not developing players to a level worthy of drafting.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Once upon a time, Deion was one of my favorite players ever.

But everything that comes out of his mouth, everything he does, all his motives, are self-serving..He's coaching his son, not for his son, but so Deion can be relevant again.

In fact, he's the one who left Jackson State.. Nobody made him leave. Why didn't he just stay there? You know, so he can help them get drafted? Because Deion only cares about his son getting drafted; that's why I left the HBCU, so Shedeur would have a better shot at getting drafted.

I just think it's funny. The deal is, James Houston got drafted last year.. I wanted him. He apparently had 8 sacks for Detroit.