News: PFT: Would DeMarcus Lawrence skip the full season?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would DeMarcus Lawrence skip the full season?

gettyimages-845424804-e1550607283286.jpg

The Le'Veon Bell odyssey ultimately taught anyone paying attention one key lesson: That a player who is franchise tagged a second time can skip the full season and essentially avoid another f...

Read Full Story

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Emmitt was the SB MVP, Lawrence is not. Bell did something that 99% of players will not do and that is sacrifice 14+ million. Tank will not hold out, maybe for a week or so but he will not hold out and miss games.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
To be fair, this time last year I dont think anyone believed Bell would do it either.

Dallas is finally appearing to build a DLine and they're afraid of using some of their 47 million in cap space to retain their best lineman. Smh.

MaaS

Reaction score
He'd be insane to sit out the year. Bell isn't making that 14.5 million back. He'll sign a similar deal to what the Steelers offered him IMO. The odds are Lawrence wouldn't gain an extra 20+ million with his 2020 team either.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
He'd be insane to sit out the year. Bell isn't making that 14.5 million back. He'll sign a similar deal to what the Steelers offered him IMO. The odds are Lawrence wouldn't gain an extra 20+ million with his 2020 team either.
I think the 2nd tag should be banned/against the CBA. It's BS that they should be able to do that to players... you already tagged him, he got 26 sacks in the last 2 years, so make up your mind... pay him or watch him play for the Colts or Jets this year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would DeMarcus Lawrence skip the full season?

gettyimages-845424804-e1550607283286.jpg

The Le'Veon Bell odyssey ultimately taught anyone paying attention one key lesson: That a player who is franchise tagged a second time can skip the full season and essentially avoid another f...

Read Full Story

I'm not certain that Florio is correct.

DLaw and Bell are different situations. DEs get bigger contracts than RBs. DLaw would get a contract that averages somewhere around 20M per. Khalil Mack averages 23.5M per. It would cost around 25M to franchise a player the 3rd time as of this year. The Cowboys would likely take DLaw at 3 years on the tag (17M, 20M,, ~25M) over giving him a long-term contract with big guaranteed money. The 3 years on the tag would average about 21M per with a huge risk reduction as compared to the long-term contract.

The biggest current RB contract averages 14.375M vs the 23.5M average for DE Khalil Mack.

The biggest question for Bell is whether he'll ever regain the 14.54M that he lost by not playing in 2018.

The value of players rarely goes up when they've been out of football for over a year.

The Steelers won't franchise him again, but if they did, Bell would be in a pickle. Would he hold out another year? At that point he would be 28 years old which is the age where the majority of RBs start to decline. Teams are well aware of the analytics regarding RBs beginning to decline at this age. I think he would be forced to consider a reasonable contract offer from the Steelers if they did franchise him the 3rd time.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I think the 2nd tag should be banned/against the CBA. It's BS that they should be able to do that to players... you already tagged him, he got 26 sacks in the last 2 years, so make up your mind... pay him or watch him play for the Colts or Jets this year.
38m over 2 years is just as good as a long-term deal if not better

Being Tagged is a reward, not a curse

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
38m over 2 years is just as good as a long-term deal if not better

Being Tagged is a reward, not a curse

Comparing Khalil Mack on the tag vs the new contract.

Consider his total pay if he had a career ending injury in 2019.

Option 1: Played 2018 and part of 2019 on the tag.
Total pay is about 38M.

Option 2: Played 2018 and part of 2019 on the new contract.
Total pay is 60M.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
No, he's smarter than Bell was........regardless of what a contract you get after being out of the game will never recoup the huge amout the franchise tag would be.

Sydla

Reaction score
To be fair, this time last year I dont think anyone believed Bell would do it either.

Dallas is finally appearing to build a DLine and they're afraid of using some of their 47 million in cap space to retain their best lineman. Smh.

There’s another side to this. Lawrence has to be somewhat reasonable himself. He can’t show up and demand Mack or Donald type contract either.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No, he's smarter than Bell was........regardless of what a contract you get after being out of the game will never recoup the huge amout the franchise tag would be.
Unless you get what you want after the first couple of games.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I don't think he will.
hopefully we never find out.
pay him.

LittleD

Reaction score
There’s another side to this. Lawrence has to be somewhat reasonable himself. He can’t show up and demand Mack or Donald type contract either.

He surely could if he wants to test the market and see if some team will offer him Mack money.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think he'd be crazy to skip a season. As some have already eluded to, a wasted season of potential earnings in the 20 million range is not wise. Those earnings will never be recuperated. Now if you are a back, especially a physical inside runner, then it makes much more sense because earning potential for backs is much, much shorter. A season off may actually help you in terms of recuperation and the longer you can stretch your career out, the higher the salary cap goes so the more you get paid. In the case of Lawrence, his career is based more on age and skills deterioration. Losing a season impacts him much more in terms of recapturing lost salary.

That's just my opinion.