PFW'S TE ratings. (something wrong here)

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I picked up a copy of Pro football weekly's nfl preview mag and their Tight end ratings seem somewhat skewed:
1.Tony Gonzalez
2.Alge Crumpler
3.Jeremy Shockey (!)
4. Antonio Gates
5.Todd Heap
6.Randy McMichael
7. Bubba Franks
8. Jim Kleinsasser (he of the one game played last season)
9. Jason Witten
10. Marcus Pollard

At minimum, Jason should be no lower than fourth on the list.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
I'd say no lower than 6th on that list. Who cares tho? Let em rank him low. Pretty soon he'll be #1 on that list and they'll feel stupid.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While that is somewhat disappointing, it's not surprising either. Mediots. Consider the source. We know he is gonna rock!

Reed

Reaction score
In Yahoo fantasy rankings, JJ is ranked 12th overall, and Witten is the second highest rated TE after Gonzalez.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
How is Shockey so high? He cant even catch the ball. I think Gates is too high, right for last year, but he will maybe be half as good this year. Hes more or less a glorified reciever...I think that this year teams will just put a LB under and safety over him and he wont be nearly as effective.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Gates' rating notwithstanding, Pro Football Weekly's rankings are always skewed away from players who are early in their careers. Very few players in their second or third seasons are even rated, let alone rated highly.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I like it. I hope Witten tapes it up in his locker, and reads it before every game of his 1,000-yard season.

stag hunter

Hater
Reaction score
My list:

1.Tony Gonzalez
2.Alge Crumpler
3.Todd Heap
4. Antonio Gates
5. Jason Witten
6. Marcus Pollard
7. Jeremy Shockey
8. Randy McMichael
9. Bubba Franks
10. Jim Kleinsasser

Gates is the real deal

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
One look at where they have Shockey rated and you know there is zero crediblity...

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
TheFuture21 said:
How is Shockey so high? He cant even catch the ball. I think Gates is too high, right for last year, but he will maybe be half as good this year. Hes more or less a glorified reciever...I think that this year teams will just put a LB under and safety over him and he wont be nearly as effective.

Gates is pretty nasty. Sure he's a glorified WR, but he can play. With LT in the backfield, Vincent Jackson and McCardell, they wont be able to key in on him so easily. San Diego is good, but I dont see them going 12-4 again. Gates is the next Tony Gonzalez.

I agree that Shockey is too high though...he's still banking on that very impressive rookie year. He's getting a potential pass, because when he's on, he is scary.

silver

Reaction score
i stopped caring about PFW since Joel Bauchbaum (sp) passed away. Nowadays it's all New York New York for those guys.

HanfordDixon

Please, Call Me Shirley
Reaction score
Adam makes a good point. PFW ratings are the most intelligent out there. The editors take the position that anybody with one great year is downgraded. As long as they're consistent I don't have a problem with it. Newman is rated 13th, while Sheppard is rated 22nd or thereabouts. Dallas players are rated consistently well across the board because we have veteran players. Allen/Rivera are both in the top 10 at gaurd. Glover is 3rd at DT I believe. There's no bias against the Cowboys. With another good year, I would bet that Witten is in the top 5.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Shockey's NUMBERS were not that much off from his rookie year- but he was nowhere near the threat he was then. And he dropped way too many. Now of course he had half the season with a rook QB, but he still did not impress me. He is not even top 10 in my book.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Has any other player lived off one year of hype like Shockey? :eek:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
Has any other player lived off one year of hype like Shockey? :eek:
Well his agent did say they wanted him to be the male version of Anna Kournikova. He's got the all hype down.

Both have skills, but neither seems to reach their potential.

I love calling him Anna Shockey.

cowboygolfer

Reaction score
I think with another year under Witten like last, and all these polls will have recognize him. Heck they are already showing him breaking into the top groups after his rookie season.

He did play better than many ahead of him on that list, but he has to do it again, and again, and again.

But just wait and see if he doesn't, my money is on him for a long time.

5 Super Bowls

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Well his agent did say they wanted him to be the male version of Anna Kournikova. He's got the all hype down.

Both have skills, but neither seems to reach their potential.

I love calling him Anna Shockey.

I'd like to Shockey Anna.