Philly.com: TO 'splains jersey-gate

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
T.O. tells why he dressed like a Cowboy

spacer.gif

Says he wore Irvin jersey to the stadium, so naturally he put it on after the game
spacer.gif

[size=-1]By LES BOWEN[/size]
spacer.gif

[size=-1]bowenl@phillynews.com[/size]
spacer.gif

Showing the failure to grasp the obvious that might have led to many of his problems with Philadelphia fans, Terrell Owens yesterday explained why he was wearing a Michael Irvin Cowboys jersey after the Eagles' 33-10 loss to Dallas last Sunday.

The answer: He wore it after the game because he wore it to the game.

Oh, that clears up everything, of course.

"Obviously, if that's what I wore to the game, I'm going to have to wear it from the game," Owens said last night on his weekly radio show, aired locally on WIP (610-AM) during Howard Eskin's show. "I'm a big fan of Michael Irvin and I have a choice to wear whatever I want to wear. That's a part of my wardrobe and that's what I felt like wearing, so I wore it."

When one of the program's hosts gently suggested fans might be angry because the Cowboys are the Eagles' hated rivals, Owens said: "It doesn't matter what the fans think. If they want to stock my closet with a new wardrobe, if they want to be my fashion stylist for each weekend, they're welcome to do that... Whatever I wear doesn't correlate to what I do on the field. It shouldn't really matter."

Owens noted that "nothing seemed to go right on Sunday... we just took a beating. We just didn't come to play, and they did."

T.O. also was asked if he would risk his career playing without medical clearance in the Super Bowl this year, given his changed relationship with the Eagles' organization. Owens' answer was very close to what he said last week when he was asked if he would want to come to the Eagles, if he had it to do over.

"Knowing what I know now, probably not," T.O. said last night. "With the dedication that went along with the rehabilitation I did, I felt like I went over and beyond the call of duty for the team... With the contractual situation that happened last year, I felt going into this season that my performance kind of spoke for itself, me being dedicated and trying to get back on the field in [a timely] fashion, I felt that should have spoke volumes for the type of person I am and the player that I am... Once that whole situation arose in training camp, that whole charade, that's why I felt disrespected. But it's water under the bridge now. Just to answer your question, had I known that, no, I would not have risked my career."

Owens' take on the unseemly blowup between Keyshawn Johnson and Drew Bledsoe on the Dallas sideline last week? It just proves that media members are out to get T.O., naturally.

"I really didn't make too much of it, and obviously the media didn't make too much of it, either. Had it been myself, it would have been on every major network across the country," Owens said. "It just shows you that ovbiously, a lot of people have it out for me... It's funny how they just swept it up underneath the rug. They haven't said too much about it."

He offered a similar perspective on the Minnesota Vikings' sex-boat controversy. "I'm just glad I wasn't part of it," T.O. said. "That would be another cloud held over my head."

He called the Vikings incident "very unfortunate." He suggested a boat that didn't contain members of the public might have been a better place for an alleged orgy.

"Living the life of a football player, you work hard, and obviously, guys, they want to play hard, as well," he said. "You've just got to be more responsible in how you do things."

Owens also was asked about quarterback Donovan McNabb's declaration of support for Brian Westbrook, as Westbrook tries to wrangle a long-term contract to replace his 1-year restricted free-agent tender. Previously, when Owens was trying to get his deal revisited, McNabb said he couldn't take sides in salary disputes.

"All I can say is two words: 'Go figure,' " Owens said.

T.O.'s take on McNabb's struggle with a sports hernia was that McNabb was obviously in pain in the second half of Sunday's game. He seemed to suggest that McNabb might still opt for surgery, if playing becomes too uncomfortable.

"Hopefully, he'll make the right decision when it comes down to it, to look at the team and do what's best for the team," Owens said. "Obviously, we have to get him more protection to be effective."

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/12909188.htm

Kilyin

Reaction score
Whatever I wear doesn't correlate to what I do on the field

TO used the word correlate? Was he reading from a flash card?

nathanlt

Reaction score
Owens said: "It doesn't matter what the fans think.

That explains TO completely. :iggles: :shoot2:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Kilyin said:
TO used the word correlate? Was he reading from a flash card?
He got someone else to write that response for him and he practiced it all day in front of a mirror.

rojan

Reaction score
I am acually starting to take TO's side on the whole agrument...He is making alot of sence...I mean if you work over time do u not expect to get paid time and a half...That is exacly what he did...He was willin to risk his carrer for the franchise and gave them all the respect he thought he would get back...It would be differnt if the Eagles didnt have any cap room and couldnt do it but they are loaded...He was just tryin to see how much they respected him....They are sayin that you signed a contract and there is no turning back but of cource if you arnt playing at the same level in 2 years we are gonna release you without thinkin twice about it...I hear ya TO...Your in your PRIME...Do your thing!!!!!!Gods knows how long that will last, get as much moiney as you can while you still can!!

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Owens' take on the unseemly blowup between Keyshawn Johnson and Drew Bledsoe on the Dallas sideline last week? It just proves that media members are out to get T.O., naturally.

"I really didn't make too much of it, and obviously the media didn't make too much of it, either. Had it been myself, it would have been on every major network across the country," Owens said. "It just shows you that ovbiously, a lot of people have it out for me... It's funny how they just swept it up underneath the rug. They haven't said too much about it."

Swept under the rug? Gotta love it.

Of course how would TO know how much play it got?

If it's not about him, would he be watching a tv?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
rojan said:
I am acually starting to take TO's side on the whole agrument...He is making alot of sence...I mean if you work over time do u not expect to get paid time and a half...That is exacly what he did...He was willin to risk his carrer for the franchise and gave them all the respect he thought he would get back...It would be differnt if the Eagles didnt have any cap room and couldnt do it but they are loaded...He was just tryin to see how much they respected him....They are sayin that you signed a contract and there is no turning back but of cource if you arnt playing at the same level in 2 years we are gonna release you without thinkin twice about it...I hear ya TO...Your in your PRIME...Do your thing!!!!!!Gods knows how long that will last, get as much moiney as you can while you still can!!
Not if I'm working under a contract that doesn't have that provision in it. If it wasn't the deal he wanted why did he fight so hard to get it and why did he sign it? Screw TO and his whinning about his poor contract.

Trip

Reaction score
I can't believe there are fans that actually want that guy to be a Cowboy.

He said football players have to be more responsible "how they do things", which is very different from more responsible "with the things they do."

He wouldn't do it again? What exactly did he do that was above and beyond the call of duty? you get hurt, you work as hard as you can to get back, you play when you're able. That's above and beyond?

He was an elite player when he signed that contract and he's still an elite player now. Why does he need a new deal now, a year later? and why did he not just ask Philly for more money before he signed the deal, instead of waiting a year? Because he knows they have risked huge cap dollars on him and they can't just release or trade him, and he's holding it over their heads.

He's a thug. that's what thugs do.

Our caps in good shape, and we have no character-problem players that I can see right now. I'm glad we don't have that jerk to deal with.

rojan

Reaction score
Well you are not goin to get released in a couple of years...You know that you are gonna work out your whole contract....There in no way TO is gonna see years 6,and 7 of the contract whenthe money is the highest...He is definitly makin less than he should be and he is thinkin why would I take less money to play when as soon as Im not worth what im makin they are release me.So why should I bend for them when I know they are not gonna bend for me..They are expecting me to fullfill my comitment and be a team player till they find someone to replace me and than they can show there reall side and get grimey with it...

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
I have said it in other threads about TO. If the Eagles just release him to get ridda his being a problem there then look for him to be a Dallas Cowboy. Some of you do not like this but IF HE IS RELEASED that is...then this could happen.

I bet TO wants a Super Bowl win or 2. If BP can handle Keyshawn he can handle TO also.

Yeah he wants a big contract. But look how hard he worked just to get back in time for the Super Bowl last year. You can say all you want about his me me me tude but the man is as hard a worker as anyone out there.

Love him or hate him. If he is released and Dallas gets him. I am not sure if anyone can stop us from winning some SUper Bowls.

And TO has to be noticing a Cowboy team on the rise and the Eagles falling.

But this is only if he gets released which may not happen.

rojan

Reaction score
Wolverine said:
I have said it in other threads about TO. If the Eagles just release him to get ridda his being a problem there then look for him to be a Dallas Cowboy. Some of you do not like this but IF HE IS RELEASED that is...then this could happen.

I bet TO wants a Super Bowl win or 2. If BP can handle Keyshawn he can handle TO also.

Yeah he wants a big contract. But look how hard he worked just to get back in time for the Super Bowl last year. You can say all you want about his me me me tude but the man is as hard a worker as anyone out there.

Love him or hate him. If he is released and Dallas gets him. I am not sure if anyone can stop us from winning some SUper Bowls.

And TO has to be noticing a Cowboy team on the rise and the Eagles falling.

But this is only if he gets released which may not happen.

That would be soooo bomb!!! The only thing that I think will prevent it is that BP isnt really known for having playmakin WR's..But BP is real and that is what TO is...Neither of them hold anything back, I think it would be an excellent relationship!!!!

arglebargle

Reaction score
"Hopefully, he'll make the right decision when it comes down to it, to look at the team and do what's best for the team," Owens said. "Obviously, we have to get him more protection to be effective."

This is the part of the interview I find the most amusing. Yep, you tell em how to do things for the good of the team Terrell.....

rojan

Reaction score
But I gotta go to bed....Hopefully we can finish this arguement tomrow or something..PEACE OUT EVERYONE

GO COWBOYS!!!!!!!!

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
rojan said:
That would be soooo bomb!!! The only thing that I think will prevent it is that BP isnt really known for having playmakin WR's..But BP is real and that is what TO is...Neither of them hold anything back, I think it would be an excellent relationship!!!!

I hope TO is released and he signs with Dallas. He will be more fired up then ever to win it all and to show up the other teams he played for.

Owens
Keyshawn
Glenn

Now that would be one deadly WR corp.

jman

Reaction score
rojan said:

Which means you know absoultly NOTHING about the word team.

And by the way...I, like TO work for a salary...which means NO over-time for either me or TO...And I can bet that TO make a whole lot more than I....

And also, you should have a lot more respect for those who work 10, 20 or more hrs overtime a week more than you for free a little more respect...punk!!!!

jman

Reaction score
rojan said:
Well you are not goin to get released in a couple of years...You know that you are gonna work out your whole contract....There in no way TO is gonna see years 6,and 7 of the contract whenthe money is the highest...He is definitly makin less than he should be and he is thinkin why would I take less money to play when as soon as Im not worth what im makin they are release me.So why should I bend for them when I know they are not gonna bend for me..They are expecting me to fullfill my comitment and be a team player till they find someone to replace me and than they can show there reall side and get grimey with it...

TO is talented and probably the best receiver in the game...He's never been a team player...period...

Reed

Reaction score
illl take him on our team if we use him correctly, the presense of bp, plus its the dallas cowboys organization, plus micheal irvin, willl make him respect us like no other and we will use him wisely and be very good wit him if we do get him.

Trip

Reaction score
you think that's what Philly thought? He'll have McNabb and a chance to win a championship every year, and that would make him respect the Eagles organization like no other?

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
Reed said:
illl take him on our team if we use him correctly, the presense of bp, plus its the dallas cowboys organization, plus micheal irvin, willl make him respect us like no other and we will use him wisely and be very good wit him if we do get him.

If Owens is released I bet Michael Irvin tells him to get over to Dallas.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I hope (sarcastic) he does indeed go to Dallas. I cant wait to see the first blowout with him and Parcells or him and Bledsoe.

That would be a classic.

He needs to go to a team like the Cardinals. A team that needs a draw, a team with a coach that doesnt conform. Should be interesting how low the Eagles will go to rid themselves of this guy.

What a piece of...