Philly.com: TO 'splains jersey-gate

Trip

Reaction score
I hope not. I honestly believe we will have a better receiving core without him. Forget the off-the-field stuff.

there's only so much money a team can spend on the WR position. If you have an Owens, then it's unrealistic to think you can can have a group like Keyshawn, Glenn, Crayton and Price.

Our receiving is better than Philly's right now. Good receivers, a notch below Owens, are available every year on the free agent market and can be had at a good enough price that you can get about 3 of them on your team.

Now drafting an Owens type talent - that's a different story. You can get him at a good price for 3-5 years.

Bring in Owens as a free agent, and Freddie Mitchell and Pinkston may as well come with him.

jay cee

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Swept under the rug? Gotta love it.

Of course how would TO know how much play it got?

If it's not about him, would he be watching a tv?
:lmao: Now that was one of the alltime greats LaTuna.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
I hope (sarcastic) he does indeed go to Dallas. I cant wait to see the first blowout with him and Parcells or him and Bledsoe.

The only blowout would be is the Cowboys beating you by at least 28 points.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
He got someone else to write that response for him and he practiced it all day in front of a mirror.

Funny enough, TO's show actually originates from here in South Florida on 790 AM and is simulcast in Philly. The Miami station was able to get the scoop on having him on every Friday during the season at 5pm, which is actually his only regularly scheduled media appearance during the season anywhere. Dan LeBatard, who many people recognize nationally from his years on ESPN's Sports Reporters and in ESPN Magazine and more recently, as an occasional guest on PTI, has an established relationship w/ Owens and was instrumental in landing the gig for the station. He's one of the co-hosts of Owen's show.

Listening to Owens week in and week out for a month and a half now, it actually is not surprising to hear him use "correlate" and other phrases. He comes across as pretty articulate and honest. Incidentally, he also gave the Cowboys plenty of credit for the win, with no qualifiers or strings attached, during the show this past Friday afternoon.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
rojan said:
I am acually starting to take TO's side on the whole agrument...He is making alot of sence...I mean if you work over time do u not expect to get paid time and a half...That is exacly what he did...

No, it isn't... his contract calls for him to play 16 regula season games, plus whatever playoff games they may qualify for... the "time and a half" comes in with the playoff bonus, which he got paid...

He was willin to risk his carrer for the franchise and gave them all the respect he thought he would get back...

He did that for one reason only-- himself... he wanted to play in that Super Bowl, and he knew he'd get a LOT of attention for doing so... if you think that Terrell Owens cares about the Iggles, or any team he's ever played for, you're deluding yourself... TO cares about TO and that's IT...

It would be differnt if the Eagles didnt have any cap room and couldnt do it but they are loaded...He was just tryin to see how much they respected him....They are sayin that you signed a contract and there is no turning back but of cource if you arnt playing at the same level in 2 years we are gonna release you without thinkin twice about it...I hear ya TO...Your in your PRIME...Do your thing!!!!!!Gods knows how long that will last, get as much moiney as you can while you still can!!

Never mind that the Iggles RESCUED him last year, when he really, REALLY didn't want to go to Baltimore... don't they get any consideration for THAT??

It's Owens who doesn't respect the Iggles, not the other way 'round... if he wasn't willing to live up to the terms of the contract HE SIGNED (including the possibility that he could be cut if he didn't live up to their expectations)...

It's really simple-- if you're a MAN, and you sign a contract, you live up to the terms of that contract... if you're not willing to do that, then you're something less than a man...

Which is, of course, the case with TO... the Iggles are doing exactly the right thing here, if they cave in to this guy's attempted extortion then every other player on their team who wants a raise will go down the same road... it's hard for me to believe that I'd ever approve of anything those clowns do, but in this case I applaud them...

I can't believe anybody would defend that greedy jagoff...

silverbear

Reaction score
rojan said:
Well you are not goin to get released in a couple of years...You know that you are gonna work out your whole contract....There in no way TO is gonna see years 6,and 7 of the contract whenthe money is the highest...He is definitly makin less than he should be and he is thinkin why would I take less money to play when as soon as Im not worth what im makin they are release me.So why should I bend for them when I know they are not gonna bend for me..

Uhhh, because you signed a CONTRACT??

Doesn't your word mean anything to you??

They already "bent" for him last year...

As for him not seing the big money in years 6 and 7, of course he's not gonna see that money... he's not gonna be playing football for ANYBODY then, he'll be 35 years old in 2009, and in his 14th season... he knew that when he signed the deal...

And even if his career ended tomorrow, he'll never have to worry about where his (or his family's) next meal is coming from... so excuse me if I don't worry about his future...

silverbear

Reaction score
Wolverine said:
I have said it in other threads about TO. If the Eagles just release him to get ridda his being a problem there then look for him to be a Dallas Cowboy. Some of you do not like this but IF HE IS RELEASED that is...then this could happen.

When donkeys fly... the more you repeat that ridiculous claim, the sillier you look... Parcells shipped off troublemaker after troublemaker, now you're gonna tell us that he'd willingly take on the biggest head case in the entire NFL??

silverbear

Reaction score
rojan said:
That would be soooo bomb!!! The only thing that I think will prevent it is that BP isnt really known for having playmakin WR's..But BP is real and that is what TO is...Neither of them hold anything back, I think it would be an excellent relationship!!!!

For God's sake, get off TO's jock...

silverbear

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Looks like the bear is out of hibernation.

???

Haven't been in hibernation, been here all along...

Mind you, I could USE a good nap about now... LOL...

sbuscha

king****
Reaction score
BP would not touch this cancer garunteed.... This guy is disrespectful to the organization, the team and its fans. JJ and BP are out for people of good quality, leadership and "TEAM" individuals ...TO is not any of these....keep dreaming this will NEVER happen. He is not a Parcells guy... wake up!!

How would you feel the first time TO put on an Santana Moss jersey after a Commanders victory over the Boys and says"who cares what the fans think." Who you be proud to have him on your team?'

This guy is everything the 2005 Cowboys are not...he is selfish, egotistical and not a team player...'

WAKE UP!!!!

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
sbuscha said:
BP would not touch this cancer garunteed.... This guy is disrespectful to the organization, the team and its fans. JJ and BP are out for people of good quality, leadership and "TEAM" individuals ...TO is not any of these....keep dreaming this will NEVER happen. He is not a Parcells guy... wake up!!

How would you feel the first time TO put on an Santana Moss jersey after a Commanders victory over the Boys and says"who cares what the fans think." Who you be proud to have him on your team?'

This guy is everything the 2005 Cowboys are not...he is selfish, egotistical and not a team player...'

WAKE UP!!!!

Thank you.

I think most people realize that this is not a player to cheer for or want on their favorite team. Its just those few pesky ones we gotta wonder about.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
silverbear said:
???

Haven't been in hibernation, been here all along...

Mind you, I could USE a good nap about now... LOL...

haha.

I know you have been here. But for some reason others do not.

I am going to take a good nap soon. Been a long day for me and for some stupid reason it is an early game.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
rojan said:
That would be soooo bomb!!! The only thing that I think will prevent it is that BP isnt really known for having playmakin WR's..But BP is real and that is what TO is...Neither of them hold anything back, I think it would be an excellent relationship!!!!
That must be some really good stuff you're smoking. TO is nothing like Keyshawn beyond being outspoken. The issues that they are outspoken on are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. TO is a punk in the style of AB and Parcells could not handle AB. There is no reason to think that Parcells would want to contaminate his team with a cancer like that just because they are both "real"...whatever the hell that means.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Many of you will not understand this perspective ...but then, I've come to learn that many of you will understand this twist.

Judging by comments made on this MB and the PhillyEagle.Com MB, T.O. has several charateristics that aren't so appealing to many fans -- I won't name them, besides, everyone else is doing such a fine job of that. But I will mention just a few positive components of those characteristics...participates in supporting charities, not afraid to speak about what's on his mind, wants the best for his family, star wide-receiver/pro-bowler.

Here's a different perspective (if you're open-minded enough to consider it), and my two-cents worth about T.O. wearing the Michael Irvin jersey. First, he chose a member of the Dallas Cowboys' jersey -- that alone brings honor and respect to not only Mr. Irvin, but admiration to the Cowboys' franchise. T.O. is not limited to thinking opponent versus home team -- he thinks "out-of-the-box." His quote about "not caring about what the fans think" has to be placed into proper perspective. I think T.O. was merely saying that he is not going to let anyone (fans or otherwise) dictate his wardrobe; nor what he can wear, and when he can wear it -- damn, that's fair isn't it?!

SIDE BAR: Long time "Zone members" will remember a thread last year about a lady who wore a Minnesota Vikings jersey to a Eaqles home game against the Vikings. Apparently, the woman received verbal abuse, and alledgedly was nudged at some point in time during the game. The point is that while some fans felt as though this Vikings fans should be able to wear whatever team jersey she chooses while attending home games against the Eagles, many Zone members posted that ...if you know wearing a certain team's jersey will create problems, why would she even want to provoke disruptive behavior -- especially during a Eagles game at home.

Wearing opponent team jersey's whenever and whereever you want is another dialogue, however there are threads of relevance that are indeed applicable in this T.O.s situation. Bottom line: T.O. has always been very controversial -- why would this situation create such a surprise to anyone. Listen, there are going to be things that NFL players will do that are far worse -- that does not mean fans condone/support the behavior.

It's something that is beyond any fan's control. Besides, while I greatly respect and admire Michael Irvin's all-star performance on the gride iron, he was no angel off the field.

Just some food for thought.

rojan

Reaction score
silverbear said:
It's really simple-- if you're a MAN, and you sign a contract, you live up to the terms of that contract... if you're not willing to do that, then you're something less than a man...

QUOTE]

Ya but TO knows that he is not gonna see the whole cotract...He just wonts to make what he is worth. Its not about being a MAN because the Eagles aint gonna be loyal to him. The NFL is a buisness. he saw Jerry Rice get released by the 49ers,Smith get released by the Cowboys and so on...The NFL is a buisness 1st. And they will use you to make money for as long as they can and than get ride of you as soon as they can find a replacement. TO is aware of that and is not gonna sit down and take it like all the other ICONS. You guys know that Jerry skrewed Smith royaly. Jerry knew Smith wanted to finish his carrer as a Cowboy. Smith was loyal to the Cowboys for a long time, He could have probly easly went to a diferent team for more money when the team was going downhill behind the sense. But he stuck it out expecting Jerry to stick it out with him when the tables were turned. But nope, as soon as Smith broke that record, Jerry didnt need him mo more.Basically what I tryin to say is that you can not trust the owners and GMs, They are not gonna be loyal to you so make as much money as you can while you still can because you are gonna be a Jerry or Emmit in 3-4 years. You cant commit to a team that is not gonna commit to you, TO is what 32,33, He doesnt have that much time left to be makin top bucks, He better capture the moment before it slips away..