Verdict
Well-Known Member
- Messages
- 27,613
- Reaction score
- 22,100
I’m curious to see how Cowboys Zoners view the Cowboys options after the close of this season as it relates to Pickens and Porter. The Cowboys seem to have two players here that would be worthy of a tag and only one tag to use.
The Cowboys “could” obviously extend one or the other during this season, and it would be a moot issue. We could easily tag the other.
Obviously the Cowboys know things that the public does not. Porter wanted a new deal NOW and was willing to sit the season out to force a trade. The Cowboys have not agreed to extend him, at least at present, and it seems like Porter is willing to play now, at least for the time being, without a new deal.
I guess it is possible that Porter will play out the season on his current deal, but common sense says that seems a bit unlikely given his prior situation. Maybe he has agreed to give the Cowboys a small sample size of his play to decide whether ti extend him or not? I’d like to hear people’s views on that.
Assuming no in season extensions for either Pickens or Porter, what are the Cowboys options in trading one or the other after the season? How would a trade work of Pickens or Porter without them signing a new deal after the season, or being under a tag? I would assume that is not a possibility.
I would assume that the Cowboys would have or should have had a plan in place to not let Porter walk for a single 3rd (or 4th) round compensatory pick in 2028 for Porter.
Could Pickens be on the way out prior to the trade deadline in the 2026 season? I’d love to hear your thoughts on these topics. Thanks in advance.
The Cowboys “could” obviously extend one or the other during this season, and it would be a moot issue. We could easily tag the other.
Obviously the Cowboys know things that the public does not. Porter wanted a new deal NOW and was willing to sit the season out to force a trade. The Cowboys have not agreed to extend him, at least at present, and it seems like Porter is willing to play now, at least for the time being, without a new deal.
I guess it is possible that Porter will play out the season on his current deal, but common sense says that seems a bit unlikely given his prior situation. Maybe he has agreed to give the Cowboys a small sample size of his play to decide whether ti extend him or not? I’d like to hear people’s views on that.
Assuming no in season extensions for either Pickens or Porter, what are the Cowboys options in trading one or the other after the season? How would a trade work of Pickens or Porter without them signing a new deal after the season, or being under a tag? I would assume that is not a possibility.
I would assume that the Cowboys would have or should have had a plan in place to not let Porter walk for a single 3rd (or 4th) round compensatory pick in 2028 for Porter.
Could Pickens be on the way out prior to the trade deadline in the 2026 season? I’d love to hear your thoughts on these topics. Thanks in advance.
