Play it safe with Johnson, or go for it and try to steal one...

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
There's no disagreement over how bad Johnson has been the last two weeks. And it's not just arm strength related. He way overthrew Roy Williams and T.O. on a couple of passes, and was basically inaccurate the whole game.

So the question is this: Do we play it safe with Johnson and try to grind it out with the running game and defense? Or do we take the gamble for one week with Bollinger and try to steal this one from the Giants?

I'm not with the doom and gloomers who say we are fixin' to get blown out, but I know for a fact we won't beat the Giants with 172 yards of total offense.

Yesterday I was pretty sure that Johnson is the way to go. Now I'm not so sure.

elcocinero

Reaction score
We can still grind it out with the running game and defense with Brooks Bollinger in the game. But maybe he can hit that occasional 20 yard pass.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;2377960 said:
There's no disagreement over how bad Johnson has been the last two weeks. And it's not just arm strength related. He way overthrew Roy Williams and T.O. on a couple of passes, and was basically inaccurate the whole game.

So the question is this: Do we play it safe with Johnson and try to grind it out with the running game and defense? Or do we take the gamble for one week with Bollinger and try to steal this one from the Giants?

I'm not with the doom and gloomers who say we are fixin' to get blown out, but I know for a fact we won't beat the Giants with 172 yards of total offense.

Yesterday I was pretty sure that Johnson is the way to go. Now I'm not so sure.

I would get Bollinger some work this week but I would start the game with Johnson and see how things go before I would put Bollinger in.

thekavorka

Reaction score
not sure how we can win with our running game with brad johnson behind center. Put Bollinger in the game and see what he can do.

links18

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2377969 said:
I would get Bollinger some work this week but I would start the game with Johnson and see how things go before I would put Bollinger in.

Here's how they will go: running play, dink and dunk pass, incompletion, punt......

Nav22

Reaction score
Stick with Brad and pray he hits on a few of those 15+ yarders he missed on yesterday. The one thing Brad IS capable of doing is avoiding turnovers. If we can win the turnover battle in New York, it's anybody's game.

Having followed Brooks Bollinger closely since his Wisconsin days, I have zero faith in the guy.

Either way, if we can't run the ball effectively, we have no shot.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If Bollenger has the athleticism to run for some first downs when the pocket falls apart, I say go with him. Just drill in his head that he's going to take some hits and that his job is to run when the pocket starts breaking down.

The Giants pass rush is made to succeed against QB's like Johnson. He'll be a sitting duck back there. If he was very effective with his arm, I'd say play him and just take some sacks... but his arm isn't winning many battles either, so we might as well take the more mobile guy who can get out of trouble with his legs.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Play it safe with Johnson.

Kick the offensive line in their butts to open up more holes for Barber when the defense isn't stacking the line.

Have Garrett call more short, underneath crossing routes to take the pressure off Johnson with Owens and Williams when the defense IS stacking the line.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
links18;2377973 said:
Here's how they will go: running play, dink and dunk pass, incompletion, punt......

Well according to many experts around here last week Dallas season was done, season over and we would lose to Tampa Bay. As I said I would start Johnson and go to Bollinger if things start going south. I think without Romo in the lineup Dallas has to play it close to the vest and not start handing out gifts that would only put more pressure on the defense. If we beat the Giants I think it will come down to a defensive battle. If it is a high scoring game then I think the advantage swings in favor of the Giants.

links18

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2377990 said:
Well according to many experts around here last week Dallas season was done, season over and we would lose to Tampa Bay. As I said I would start Johnson and go to Bollinger if things start going south. I think without Romo in the lineup Dallas has to play it close to the vest and not start handing out gifts that would only put more pressure on the defense. If we beat the Giants I think it will come down to a defensive battle. If it is a high scoring game then I think the advantage swings in favor of the Giants.

Our best hope to win this game is to score on defense......

stiletto

Reaction score
With Brad Johnson in, no defense will respect a deep threat and this makes it easy to stop the run. IMO we have zero to little chance against this Giants with BJ in. Brooks Bollinger can throw the ball deeper so this will at least keep the Giants D honest and might give our running game a chance which is what we will have to do to beat the Giants. If we don't run we are screwed either way really...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DallasEast;2377980 said:
Play it safe with Johnson.

Kick the offensive line in their butts to open up more holes for Barber when the defense isn't stacking the line.

Have Garrett call more short, underneath crossing routes to take the pressure off Johnson with Owens and Williams when the defense IS stacking the line.

I agree and I think it would be a good idea to roll the pocket to help buy more time. Johnson is not a scrambler by any means but he can roll out in controlled situation.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll take my chances with Bollinger over Johnson.

Bollinger might make mistakes, but he'll also make plays Brad Johnson is incapable of making.

fortdick

Reaction score
I am still thinking we may see Romo. It will be three weeks since the finger broke, and maybe, again, maybe, he can take a snap now. If you were ever going to risk it, this is the game to do so. Win this one, and we are back in the driver's seat.

Romo coming back would give the team a great lift. Especially after the Giants spend the whole week looking at Johnson's tendencies.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
If they stick with Johnson, they must, must use a flea flicker with Roy Willams. Teams are going to play a short field with eight and nine in the box with Brad at QB, so it would be an ideal situation to get Roy in one-on-one coverage down the field.

I say Roy instead of TO because he is much better in a jump ball situation and I don't think Brad can hit him in stride.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
I would have both play. Give Bollinger a package of 15-20 plays that he can practice all week. It keeps the Giants on their toes and guessing. I would also have a at least 1-2 gadget type plays. Fleaflicker, Stanback end around option pass...that sort of thing. A fake punt or surprise onsides would be other considerations for me.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Better to go with the devil we know, but have him work within the framework of a diabolical game plan. This is Garrett's chance to empty the whole bag of tricks, just pour it out on the desk, and sift through it to find 3 or 4 gems that could actually work with Johnson.