Play it safe with Johnson, or go for it and try to steal one...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If that is the best that Johnson can do, I would start Bollinger if for nothing else that the Giants might not expect it.

I don't see any way we can beat New York with Johnson at the helm and I am already anticipating a very bad and very ugly loss which would dash any headway we made after a tough win yesterday.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
percyhoward;2378034 said:
Better to go with the devil we know, but have him work within the framework of a diabolical game plan. This is Garrett's chance to empty the whole bag of tricks, just pour it out on the desk, and sift through it to find 3 or 4 gems that could actually work with Johnson.

I don't believe there is any diabolical gameplan you can scheme when you QB plays as poorly as Johnson has done thus far. All you can hope for is that he does not turn the ball over and that you can run the ball well enough. He is no threat to get the ball downfield.

wick

Reaction score
percyhoward;2378034 said:
Better to go with the devil we know, but have him work within the framework of a diabolical game plan. This is Garrett's chance to empty the whole bag of tricks, just pour it out on the desk, and sift through it to find 3 or 4 gems that could actually work with Johnson.

Garrett is at the mercy of Brad Johnson's eyes, which apparently can't see anything more than 10 yards downfield. I'm not sure I can put into words how bad Brad Johnson has been in two weeks. In the first game, he was a turnover machine, committing four that gave us no shot to be in the game. Yesterday, he averaged less than four yards per attempt. I've seen nothing from Brad Johnson that suggests we can field even a mediocre offense with him under center. Now maybe we can beat the Giants with a defensive performance like yesterday, but I don't think you can go into the game expecting that again. We need to have at least a fighting shot of scoring 20+ points, so while I don't know that Bollinger can do it, I know that Johnson can't. Play the unknown.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;2377960 said:
There's no disagreement over how bad Johnson has been the last two weeks. And it's not just arm strength related. He way overthrew Roy Williams and T.O. on a couple of passes, and was basically inaccurate the whole game.

So the question is this: Do we play it safe with Johnson and try to grind it out with the running game and defense? Or do we take the gamble for one week with Bollinger and try to steal this one from the Giants?

I'm not with the doom and gloomers who say we are fixin' to get blown out, but I know for a fact we won't beat the Giants with 172 yards of total offense.

Yesterday I was pretty sure that Johnson is the way to go. Now I'm not so sure.

Steal one? OK.......let's do it for the team!

EGTuna

Reaction score
Whoever gets the start this week, they need to take no less than 90% of the snaps in practice, because dealing with Spagnuolo's pressure will take practice, and if the staff splits the snaps evenly, neither qb will be adequetely prepared. Me? I'd go with Bollinger and take the risk that he can make plays, as it doesn't seem a slow, grind-it-out game will work on the road against one of current top2 teams in the NFL.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Pretend you are the Giants. You are praying that the Cowboys start Brad johnson and keep him in the whole game. That would be the best thing that could happen to you.

Bollinger, although not an All Pro, changes everything. He has a degree of touch on the medium routes and is certianly capable of going over the top. Then, you add his mobility and ability to run on third and five (Wisconsin's all time leading rusher at QB).

Joe Elliot once said "It's better to burn out, than fade away"

I'd rather lose fighting than watch this offense with Brad Johnson another week, interceptions or not.

Nav22

Reaction score
while I don't know that Bollinger can do it, I know that Johnson can't. Play the unknown.
Bollinger is not an unknown. He's in his 6th year, he's seen action in the preseason and the regular season, and he has never looked good.

If we start Bollinger, the entire board will be calling for Brad after the 1st quarter. Seriously.

Would you trade 50 more pass yards than Brad for 2 turnovers? I sure as hell wouldn't. But that's what you're most likely getting from Bollinger.
Steal one? OK.......let's do it for the team!
Yeah!!!

(Seriously, what is the reason CC is so... well, CC? Is there something I don't know? An explanation in a PM would be great)

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Nav22;2378134 said:
Bollinger is not an unknown. He's in his 6th year, he's seen action in the preseason and the regular season, and he has never looked good.

If we start Bollinger, the entire board will be calling for Brad after the 1st quarter. Seriously.

Would you trade 50 more pass yards than Brad for 2 turnovers? I sure as hell wouldn't. But that's what you're most likely getting from Bollinger.Yeah!!!

(Seriously, what is the reason CC is so... well, CC? Is there something I don't know? An explanation in a PM would be great)

Back that up with numbers. He started almost the whole season for the Jets two years ago. He was not that bad, in spite of the inexperience.

Reaction score
Nav22;2378134 said:

Would you trade 50 more pass yards than Brad for 2 turnovers? I sure as hell wouldn't. But that's what you're most likely getting from Bollinger.Yeah!!!

the problem with Brad is that his supposed strong points are no longer strong points. He is so rediculously inaccurate that turnovers are bound to happen, he has zero production and poses no deep threat whatsoever, and he is taking sacks, so where is the upside with Brad?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2378132 said:
Pretend you are the Giants. You are praying that the Cowboys start Brad johnson and keep him in the whole game. That would be the best thing that could happen to you.

Bollinger, although not an All Pro, changes everything. He has a degree of touch on the medium routes and is certianly capable of going over the top. Then, you add his mobility and ability to run on third and five (Wisconsin's all time leading rusher at QB).

Joe Elliot once said "It's better to burn out, than fade away"

I'd rather lose fighting than watch this offense with Brad Johnson another week, interceptions or not.

That is my line of thinking as well. You know that his mobility alone would worry the Giants, at least a little bit. I don't see them worrying at all about Johnson. He will be five yards back from center anytime you might wonder where he is. The Giants defenders will just tee-off on him.

With Bollinger, he could give the Giants fits with his mobility. The way NY's defenders gets upfield so quickly... those types of QB's probably worry them some.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AsthmaField;2378377 said:
That is my line of thinking as well. You know that his mobility alone would worry the Giants, at least a little bit. I don't see them worrying at all about Johnson. He will be five yards back from center anytime you might wonder where he is. The Giants defenders will just tee-off on him.

With Bollinger, he could give the Giants fits with his mobility. The way NY's defenders gets upfield so quickly... those types of QB's probably worry them some.

Not if Dallas rolls him out now and then. You don't need to be much of a mobile QB to call roll outs. Johnson is not going to take off you are right about that and he will not scramble around but he is very capable of having him in controlled rollouts to keep the Giants from teeing off

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Tony does get injured again and is out for awhile or done for the season than we will regret not playing Bollinger this week because Brad will not get us where we need to go.

Neither will Bollinger but at least he gives us somewhat of a pulse.

Give him a chance!

onetrickpony

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2377969 said:
I would get Bollinger some work this week but I would start the game with Johnson and see how things go before I would put Bollinger in.

Not me. Decide now which one to go with and practice, practice, practice.

Splitting practice reps with two QBs who need work means that neither one would be ready. Johnson has had his shot. I say practice Bollinger and let him have a go at the Giants. No one in their right mind thinks we have a shot at beating them with Johnson under center, anyway.

onetrickpony

Reaction score
CATCH17;2378387 said:
If Tony does get injured again and is out for awhile or done for the season than we will regret not playing Bollinger this week because Brad will not get us where we need to go.

Neither will Bollinger but at least he gives us somewhat of a pulse.

Give him a chance!

If we lose Romo again for any length of time we will miss the playoffs anyway. Let's see if we need to shop for one or two QBs this off-season by playing Bollinger.

jordan20

Reaction score
Play the QB that can hit open WR's. I didn't see much of that yesterday while attending the game. Norm was saying yesterday about Brad not turning the ball over. He was damn lucky a few times on dropped int's.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
onetrickpony;2378413 said:
Not me. Decide now which one to go with and practice, practice, practice.

Splitting practice reps with two QBs who need work means that neither one would be ready. Johnson has had his shot. I say practice Bollinger and let him have a go at the Giants. No one in their right mind thinks we have a shot at beating them with Johnson under center, anyway.

Starter will get the majority but you need the backup getting some in case he is forced into the game. As for what people think about us having a shot? Hell I could care less what people think many said we would not win last week and many other gave up on this team already.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
A coward dies a 1000 deaths.....

"Play it safe" = loser mentality.

Either we try to win or we might as well forfeit and avoid any more risks to the team. Starting Brad to me is like forfeiting the game but worse cause we are risking players for nothing....