CFZ Player development: Best candidates for a breakout season

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The addition of impactful talent doesn’t just automatically happen when players are acquired in the draft or free agency. It must also include the development of young players- taking your draft picks and refining them into good NFL players. The Cowboys the last several seasons have become not only one of the better drafting teams in the league, but also one of the better developers of NFL talent. Development is part coaching and part having patience.

Every year, a young player or two emerges from the shadows and becomes a breakout player. I would define a “breakout player” as a someone who has never played a big role with the team who becomes either a starter or role player with impact. Recent examples include Cedee Lamb in 2020, Tony Pollard, Cedric Wilson, Travon Diggs and Terrance Steele in 2021, Tyler Smith, DaRon Bland and Dorrance Armstrong in 2022.

So…Who will emerge this year as the Cowboys’ breakout players who will have impact? Here are my candidates:
  • Sam Williams- he had a good rookie season with 4 sacks and 9 QB hits. And that was accomplished while only playing about 15 snaps a game. He needs to add some off-field maturity as exemplified by his car accident last year. But his talent is obvious. He could be a major upgrade in the pass rush this year.
  • Jake Ferguson- last year’s 4th round pick had a decent rookie year with 19 receptions and 2 TDs. I expect to see major growth in year two, probably doubling his receptions and TDs. The trio of Ferguson, rookie Like Schoonmaker and last year’s UFA surprise Peyton Hendershot, the TE position can be a real strength.
  • Matt Waletzko- a shoulder injury kept him sidelined last year. If he’s healthy, stronger, and has learned more about adjusting to the NFL game, Waletzko could be a key role player for the OL this year.
  • Deuce Vaughn- I know many fans see him as too small and a long shot to even make the team. That could happen. But having seen Deuce play for KState numerous times, I think he can be an impactful player by mid-season.
Who’s on your list of breakout players this year and why?
I’m going with Tolbert. He’s got the talent and after a year with the offense, I look for him to have an impact.

plasticman

Reaction score
I'm going to go with Damone Clark.

I think that when it comes to breakout seasons thee are a few things to consider.

The first is potential. Does this player have the physical gifts and college history to indicate that he should become a good contributor to the team? Some players just take a little longer to acclimate themselves to the NFL and all that comes with it. It is not their abilities that have hindered them up to this point, it is a lack of NFL experience. It might also be, as in Damone's case, an injury setback. Some injuries even take more than one season to recover both physically and mentality.

Another way to understand Damone's Clark's potential is to understand that he was originally considered to be a 1st or 2nd round pick prior to his injury.

I will also go with Jake Ferguson, an example of another aspect to consider. This would be opportunity. Is the player going to receive ample opportunity to have a breakout season?

The only other viable candidates at TE to start would be fellow 2nd year TE Pendershot and rookie Schoonmaker. Jakle seemed a little more ahead of the game than Pendershot so I see him taking a higher percentage of the available opportunities.

Another aspect would be the level of play by other teammates that surround him on the field. It would be difficult to have a breakout year if your teammates are struggling. This is especially true for both the secondary and defensive lines.

If, for example, if the player is at DE and the other DE is basically ineffective then as soon as he begins to show signs of improvement, the opposition will focus on stopping him. If the DT next to him is struggling them it opens up the possibility of a double team which also hinders the ability to make meaningful plays.

In the case of a CB, if the other CB is playing well then he will be seeing more targets which means opportunities to make plays like INT's. They would also get a large helping hand from a dominant pass rushing D-line.

Since both conditions are positives for the Cowboys defense, it shouldn't be a reach to suspect breakout seasons from both Sam Williams and Israel Mukuamu

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The addition of impactful talent doesn’t just automatically happen when players are acquired in the draft or free agency. It must also include the development of young players- taking your draft picks and refining them into good NFL players. The Cowboys the last several seasons have become not only one of the better drafting teams in the league, but also one of the better developers of NFL talent. Development is part coaching and part having patience.

Every year, a young player or two emerges from the shadows and becomes a breakout player. I would define a “breakout player” as a someone who has never played a big role with the team who becomes either a starter or role player with impact. Recent examples include Cedee Lamb in 2020, Tony Pollard, Cedric Wilson, Travon Diggs and Terrance Steele in 2021, Tyler Smith, DaRon Bland and Dorrance Armstrong in 2022.

So…Who will emerge this year as the Cowboys’ breakout players who will have impact? Here are my candidates:
  • Sam Williams- he had a good rookie season with 4 sacks and 9 QB hits. And that was accomplished while only playing about 15 snaps a game. He needs to add some off-field maturity as exemplified by his car accident last year. But his talent is obvious. He could be a major upgrade in the pass rush this year.
  • Jake Ferguson- last year’s 4th round pick had a decent rookie year with 19 receptions and 2 TDs. I expect to see major growth in year two, probably doubling his receptions and TDs. The trio of Ferguson, rookie Like Schoonmaker and last year’s UFA surprise Peyton Hendershot, the TE position can be a real strength.
  • Matt Waletzko- a shoulder injury kept him sidelined last year. If he’s healthy, stronger, and has learned more about adjusting to the NFL game, Waletzko could be a key role player for the OL this year.
  • Deuce Vaughn- I know many fans see him as too small and a long shot to even make the team. That could happen. But having seen Deuce play for KState numerous times, I think he can be an impactful player by mid-season.
Who’s on your list of breakout players this year and why?
I would have said Ferguson, but his opportunities are now curtailed with Luke in town.
I wouldn't say a rookie as part of "breaking out" to me is establishing a level of play and than significantly exceeding it the next year.
Best fit of those 4 is Waletzko. He can exceed last year by a *lot*, while Sam will likely be better, but he was already on the radar from his play last year.

Sam.

quickccc

Reaction score
1. Tony Pollard
2.. Sam Williams
3. Tyler Smith
4 KaVontae Turpin
5. Israel Mukuamu
6. Jake Ferguson
7. Osa Odighizuwa
8. Damone Clark
9. Deuce Vaugh
10. Peyton Hendershot

speedkilz88

Reaction score
2nd & 3rd yr players have a chance to breakout. Of course some are guys that may be given up on as well. Wright doesn't look like he has the talent. Cox has to get over the knee injury. Ball doesn't look like he has the talent. One guy not listed may have a breakout season for another team, John Ridgeway.

Candidates

Kelvin Joseph
Osa Odighizuwa
Chancey Golston
Nahshon Wright
Jabril Cox
Josh Ball
Simi Fehoko
Quinton Bohanna
Israel Mukuamu
Matt Farniok

Tyler Smith (He's just scratching the surface)
Sam Williams
Jalen Tolbert
Jake Ferguson
Matt Waletzko
Daron Bland
Damone Clark
Devin Harper

quickccc

Reaction score
1. Tony Pollard
2.. Sam Williams
3. Tyler Smith
4 KaVontae Turpin
5. Israel Mukuamu
6. Jake Ferguson
7. Osa Odighizuwa
8. Damone Clark
9. Deuce Vaugh
10. Peyton Hendershot
- The electric Pollard, who now starts, under an play caller that can best design and utilize his speed/receiving skills will pay huge impact to this offense.
- Williams now has a year experience/strength offseason under his belt. Natural edge rusher.
- if Turpin improves his lower leg strength, balance he’s gonna have a ton of TD runbacks. Punters will shank in fear of him.
- Izzy seems active & to have an instinctive knack for pass game. Versatile, Only needs to master one position
- Ferguson offers YAC skills, can he prove separation outside roll outs/waggles ?
- Osa flashes rush in spots -can he advance to impact ?
- Clark- ex-Butkus candidate in college, came in midseason, now with a full offseason, camp time, could be ready.
- Vaugh in a Sproles like role, could add even more electric juice to offense in spot duty
- Hendershot has vertical downfield ability

Creeper

Reaction score
I would say Sam Williams and Damone Clark could have breakout years.

I would not surprise me if Jabril Cox did too.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
1. Tony Pollard
2.. Sam Williams
3. Tyler Smith
4 KaVontae Turpin
5. Israel Mukuamu
6. Jake Ferguson
7. Osa Odighizuwa
8. Damone Clark
9. Deuce Vaugh
10. Peyton Hendershot
Im not sure TP can have a breakout season, I agree he will be damn good but I'm sure every defense will have him 1B right behind Lamb as the biggest threat.

quickccc

Reaction score
Im not sure TP can have a breakout season, I agree he will be damn good but I'm sure every defense will have him 1B right behind Lamb as the biggest threat.
That is why it is so very critically important to have an imaginative, creative scheme designer and play caller.

- You have to be able to scheme design your best players in plays and positions where they can excel best.
If Pollard is a mismatch problem in the pass game vs coverage LBs (ala his wheel route TD vs Vikes) it's up to the coaches to scheme him as such.

- Design the run game where it design to stretch the run lanes and he can hit the quick opening and into 2nd level of defenders- this is could be interior cut back lanes
or a quick bounce to the edges. (ala his Saints TD, or the Bengals long run last year) ...

" Misdirection " plays comes up big in both the run game ..as well as the pass game.
Quick RB screens was a patented thing when Zeke had his homerun speed,.. when Kellen was here, he either hated RB screens or was clueless or very impatience with it,
so it was often scraped.
Thus our RBs in pass game had very little effect to opposing defenses majority of times.

- We as fans have to expand our thinking beyond just the run game with our RBs.

vlad

Reaction score
Williams is my pet cat for this year. I expect him to level up.
My hope is Parsons being an insane competitor rubs off on the younger guys and he's like our Ray Lewis and they just go nuts following him. Williams would be #1 to see live up to his potential. Would be cool for sure.

plasticman

Reaction score
Some of you seem to be implying that Pollard is eligible for a breakout season.

You can't have two breakout seasons in your career.

And if you don't think that earning Pro Bowl honors, reaching a thousand yards rushing for the first time. and being franchise tagged doesn't indicate a breakout season last year, then what would impress you?

T-RO

Reaction score
One guy not listed may have a breakout season for another team, John Ridgeway.
He's not headed for a breakout but a knockout. Whether he TKO's another teammate, or gets his own bell rung...is the main question. That, or who gets up after a 10-count.

Not sure the Commanders will extend much more patience with that dude. He's really really messy with a dubious future in the sport and in his life.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
If Sam and Clarke and Bland break out like i think they can, that will raise the level of this defense to a top 3. Mazi will have an impact too. And we know what Micah, Diggs, Gilmore can do. And throw in Overshown as a wild card who could surpass Cox in the depth chart and you gots yourself something there. DQ pulling the strings.