Player Game Footage Review: Ben DiNucci

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Is this why you Hate Dinucci? . . . because you Perceive people who "Liked" Romo Like DiNucci . . . makes perfect Sense.

I bet with your logic if you Like DiNucci you hate Dak . . . maybe you are right because those who love Dak hate DiNucci
I've seen several DiNucci supporters state he reminds them so much of Romo. I'm simply stating the obvious. Am I wrong?

NotForLong

Reaction score
I've seen several DiNucci supporters state he reminds them so much of Romo. I'm simply stating the obvious. Am I wrong?
Your perceptions are your own . . . I can not judge if you are right or wrong.

I just find it foolish to Hate him because you are at war with fans Who appreciated the Cowboys former QB.

Its weird

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Your perceptions are your own . . . I can not judge if you are right or wrong.

I just find it foolish to Hate him because you are at war with fans Who appreciated the Cowboys former QB.

Its weird
I don't hate DiNucci. I simply agree with Laufenberg and Irvin: DiNucci stinks...and he has major problems with both his form, accuracy and mental capacity to perform up to a pro standard.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't hate DiNucci. I simply agree with Laufenberg and Irvin: DiNucci stinks...and he has major problems with both his form, accuracy and mental capacity to perform up to a pro standard.
Of course. That's why he's on the PS. That's where you put guys w/ stuff to correct.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Ben DiNucci played in all 4 preseason games, had a 53.0 % completion rate, threw for 0 TDs but 4 INTs, and had a 53.1 QBR rating.

But he has no accuracy or throwing mechanics problems?
:facepalm:

black label

Reaction score
gQo.gif

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That’s funny McCarthy the QB whisperer. In all the times I have seen his interaction with Dak it actually seems quite cold to me. Now I do not see them together 24/7, but as I said in the times that I do see them together it is quite interesting.

I don't think Dak needs a lot of whispering at this point. Much like Tony, he's taken responsibility to develop himself.

Our PS QBs is where McCarthy can earn his paycheck. Turn one of them into a starting QB.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
You can have the strongest arm
You can be the most accurate
You can read defenses fast
But as Mike Tyson once said, we all have a plan until we get punched in the mouth.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ben DiNucci played in all 4 preseason games, had a 53.0 % completion rate, threw for 0 TDs but 4 INTs, and had a 53.1 QBR rating.

But he has no accuracy or throwing mechanics problems?
:facepalm:
You appear to have reading comprehension problems.

If a QBs brain decides to throw into triple coverage it would not matter if he had Aaron Rodgers physical mechanics.

kskboys

Reaction score
Changing his mechanics and thinking process will be very hard to do.
Yes, it will. No idea if he can do it or not.

At the same time, it was quite obvious that the kid has talent and very good arm. He needs to cut the sidearm backfoot crap and the game needs to slow down for him most obviously. Definitely worth a PS spot.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Note: DiNucci is not my pet cat and I was neutral about him as a draft pick.

This review is just for fans that are interested to know what actually happened in the preseason games.
  • Pro/Con:
    • Con: DiNucci's overall performances were bad.
    • Pro: His physical ability is very good.
      • He made some throws that I don't think Rush can make.
      • Very athletic and accurate when rolling out.
  • Bad Reads not Poor Accuracy
    • Bad reads made physically good passes appear inaccurate.
    • Without defenders in the way, most passes would have been on target to the WR.
  • Passing Mechanics NOT the problem
    • The announcers loved to ramble on about his passing mechanics.
      • In reality that was never really the problem.
    • If a QB makes the wrong reads his passing mechanics don't matter.
      • I think his ability to throw from multiple arm angles is an advantage, not a fault.
    • His passes have more velocity with tighter spirals as compared to Rush/Gilbert.
  • Actual Inaccurate Passes
    • There was 1 pass on a crossing route that was behind the WR.
      • The pass was off due to pressure in DiNucci's face.
      • He should have thrown it away.
    • There was a deep sideline pass that was underthrown.
      • Anticipation vs Physical Passing Accuracy
      • The QB must "guess" where the WR will be located when the ball arrives.
      • This requires many repetitions with specific WRs.
    • The vast majority of his passes were very accurate.
  • Bad Reads part 2
    • The pass to the WR in the flat area that got picked was really not an accuracy problem.
    • The problem was that he didn't read the coverage correctly.
    • The outside CB covering that WR dropped and the Nickel (slot) CB came underneath.
    • The route by the slot WR make it easy for the NCB to be in that spot.
  • DiNucci vs Rush/Gilbert
    • Physically DiNucci is much better than Rush/Gilbert.
      • DiNucci would win a passing skills competition over Rush/Gilbert.
      • There no NFL DBs on the field for those competitions.
    • Gilbert: 7th year hanging around the NFL.
    • Rush: 5th year hanging around the NFL.
      • Rush only has value if he is the #2 QB on the depth chart.
      • Rush has no upside. If Grier moves to #2, then no point keeping Rush.
  • Summary:
    • It would be dumb NOT to keep a physical upside player like DiNucci on the practice squad.
I watched two of his JMU games in full. His first read was open very often. When it wasn't, he almost always would pull it down and run.

I'm no XO guy like you, but I figured this would by far be his biggest problem at the next level....second/third reads.

He has the physical skills, and the part he is missing can be learned.

Sure, he faces very long odds, but I'll say it again....if Romo were forced to start a game in 2003, and the preseason was canceled that year....people would have written him off too.

Remember Drew Henson was ahead of him at that time, so we have a point of measure as far as how bad Romo must have been at that point.

I'm not at all saying Nooch will be Romo....but he shouldn't be written off.

kskboys

Reaction score
I watched two of his JMU games in full. His first read was open very often. When it wasn't, he almost always would pull it down and run.

I'm no XO guy like you, but I figured this would by far be his biggest problem at the next level....second/third reads.

He has the physical skills, and the part he is missing can be learned.

Sure, he faces very long odds, but I'll say it again....if Romo were forced to start a game in 2003, and the preseason was canceled that year....people would have written him off too.

Remember Drew Henson was ahead of him at that time, so we have a point of measure as far as how bad Romo must have been at that point.

I'm not at all saying Nooch will be Romo....but he shouldn't be written off.
No matter how many times the juveniles declare "He sucks", the truth of the matter that he's a very raw kid from a small school who desperately needed TC last season and has a long way to go. Will he suck? Possibly, but it's way premature to go screaming that at this point.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
If they wanted to keep him on the practice squad, then they wouldn't want him to look good in the preseason games...

In the Garrett era they almost always gave each QB at least a quarter with at least 2nd string OLinemen.
- More often the 3rd QB got some time with some 1st string OL plus 2nd stringers.​
- This preseason DiNucci played with the 4th string OL (And 4th string WRs, TEs, RBs).
- He generally didn't even get the 3rd OT or top backup interior OLineman.
- Even in the Parcells era, the 3rd QB got some snaps with 1st or 2nd string OL.

He didn't get much in the way of receiving options either.
- He generally didn't even get Cedrick Wilson or Noah Brown.
- Simi Fehoko has interesting upside but he was completely lost this preseason.
- The TEs that played most of the snaps with DiNucci at QB didn't even make the practice squad.

RBs were a similar issue.
- None of the RBs that played with DiNucci made the 53 man roster.

The Cowboys were not even interested in evaluating QBs in the preseason games we saw. One could see that from the play calls and the WR routes. And the personnel used, as you mentioned with DiNucci.

I can’t recall right now but I don’t even know if DiNucci even was allowed to audible.

One of the funny things I saw when Trevor Lawrence was out there in the last game was no one had outside contain during the rush. They just let a mobile QB like Lawrence easily escape the pocket. It was like the NFL scripted the two plays so Lawrence could succeed and Jag fans would buy tickets. Weird to me.

blueblood70

Reaction score

This review is just for fans that are interested to know what actually happened in the preseason games.
  • Pro/Con:
    • Without defenders in the way, most passes would have been on target to the WR.
      • I think his ability to throw from multiple arm angles is an advantage, not a fault.
    • His passes have more velocity with tighter spirals as compared to Rush/Gilbert.
  • Bad Reads part 2
    • The pass to the WR in the flat area that got picked was really not an accuracy problem.
    • The outside CB covering that WR dropped and the Nickel (slot) CB came underneath.
  • Summary:
    • It would be dumb NOT to keep a physical upside player like DiNucci on the practice squad.
dont tell this group that they dont want to hear how coach knows more then them and doesnt want to give up on him quite yet so a spot on the ps isnt big deal..yet some have taken it personal. Never understand why fan do this but hey..:facepalm::muttley:

I can care less whos on the team and whos not , just like watching football..

blueblood70

Reaction score
No matter how many times the juveniles declare "He sucks", the truth of the matter that he's a very raw kid from a small school who desperately needed TC last season and has a long way to go. Will he suck? Possibly, but it's way premature to go screaming that at this point.
there are more then one entire thread on the nooches not deserving to be on any team and some say he might be able to make a HS team but that it LOL fans can be idiots at times..

they said the same thing about Mike white and hes starting to progress some looked like servicable backup in the pS but fans wanted him gone as well..

blueblood70

Reaction score

• Pro/Con:
  • Bad Reads part 2
  • Summary:
maybe he needs Lasik or contacts lenses lol it seems to ahve worked for Winston..

kskboys

Reaction score
dont tell this group that they dont want to hear how coach knows more then them and doesnt want to give up on him quite yet so a spot on the ps isnt big deal..yet some have taken it personal. Never understand why fan do this but hey..:facepalm::muttley:

I can care less whos on the team and whos not , just like watching football..
Man, we must have the worst group of talent evaluators here ever assembled. That Nooch has talent is glaringly obvious. No, he's not good at this point, but it's not hard to see the talent. I can definitely see why we threw a late round pick at him. Strange that he was picked as a whipping boy. Very strange.