Players on the bubble with a new DC

Carson

Reaction score
so Armstrong officially gone???...i was so hurt by our loss i could not watch any cowboy news????
Nothing official until the new year begins.

But Washington has around $93 million in cap. He will follow Quinn

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Is there a player on defense from the Quinn regime that you feel may be on the bubble? Of course Zimmer will want to pick up some players, and that means some will have to leave. Who are you thinking could be let go?

One player that stands out to me is Chauncey Gholston, he was solid, but did he even impress you enough this past season to say he's a keeper? Please give your thoughts
Zimmer could keep Golston at 4-3 3-tech, but I think it's possible that he'll have him drop some weight and play end on some downs. If our goal is to improve the run defense, I could see him out there in that role, instead of having Williams or Parsons manning RDE on early downs.

It will be interesting to see what Zimmer does with the tweeners. He's one we had gain weight to play more inside. We were attempting to do the same with Fehoko. Then, we have the safety Bell playing linebacker, the corner Mukuamu playing safety.

I don't know if Zimmer will necessarily get rid of any of them. There are enough players we'll let leave as FAs (Fowler, Gallimore, Kearse, Gilmore or Lewis) to open up spots for anyone we bring in. And, of course, the Joneses have a propensity to try to upgrade in the draft, not through free agency, so unless Zimmer knows some cheap players he can pick up, he's got no reason to toss out what we've got.

It will be interesting to see, though, if we bring back Hankins. He's a FA, too, but our run defense is worse without him than with him unless we upgrade.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yup....I think they move him to LDE......which may be his more natural position anyway. Don't think he will ever be more than a 2 down run stuffer...but I will take it if he can contain the run.
I see both him and Fehoko in an end rotation to help play the run. Williams will probably mainly be used in passing situations. A lot will depend, though, on how much we use Parsons as a down lineman. I think Zimmer might play him at linebacker, but "blitz" him a lot, with one of the ends dropping into coverage so that it's still a four-man rush. (Zimmer doesn't often send more than four.)

Mr_437

Reaction score
At this point in the offseason I feel the guys who may have character concerns or may be on the softer side in how they liked to be coached could be on the way out.

Coming from a hard-nosed program like Iowa I don't see Chauncey Golston having a issue fitting into what Zimmer wants to do. Zim likes bigger traditional DEs, and Chauncey is a traditional LDE.

shabazz

Reaction score
.Zimmer will have correct people in correct position to play run....he has far better personnel here than in Minnesota

I don't claim to know all the defensive players that Zim had in Minny, but it's hard to imagine that they had worse DTs and LBs than we have on the current roster.

And as far as acquiring them, in an "all in" year the best way to find those guys is to get them via FA........we don't have the cap space to buy enough players that can hit the ground running and drafting takes time to develop

25% of the salary cap for one player breeds that kind of thing but that's a different topic

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Mazi Smith. Jones were criticized for drafting him and fabricated a story about other teams wanting him. No chance.

Viliami Fehoko. Huge 4th round reach. Jones will whisper in Zimmer's ear about how much "position flex" Fehoko has.

Damon Clark. Only real linebacker on the roster. He's safe for another year.

Eric Scott. Zimmer says he doesn't see much him in. Stephen and Jerry chime in that they traded a future 5th for him. He's safe.

Nahshon Wright is in the final year deal and cutting him frees up $1.2M in cap room. He will be the sacrificial lamb that the Jones will title a "Zimmer move"

Part of the bigger issue in Dallas. It's not about getting better. It's about protecting the frail egos of billionaires pretending to be football men.

raven55

Reaction score
trade micah he's a one trick pony and teams have figured out how to take care of him also when o drop back as a linebacker forget it he's lost and i will say that he has no intention of being a linebacker

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
trade micah he's a one trick pony and teams have figured out how to take care of him also when o drop back as a linebacker forget it he's lost and i will say that he has no intention of being a linebacker
My only issue is how he rushes the passer by going too far up the field

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He does not go to far up field. We have no push up the middle. Get a legit DT.
Trust me, he rushes right up the field and creates a lane for qb's to step up in, or run through, surely a DT would help, but as a PASS rusher, he's got to get better at going up and coming back down/needs more bend!!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Trust me, he rushes right up the field and creates a lane for qb's to step up in, or run through, surely a DT would help, but as a PASS rusher, he's got to get better at going up and coming back down/needs more bend!!
Sure. He runs up the field so past the QB, that he gets doubled and triple team more than anyone. If he takes himself out of the play, how does that make any sense?

Please explain

MikeT22

Reaction score
Part of the bigger issue in Dallas. It's not about getting better. It's about protecting the frail egos of billionaires pretending to be football men.
Yep, neither Mike or Zimmer can even bench someone without Jerry’s approval. No way they can cut anyone.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Parsons, Williams, Overshown, Diggs, Bland, Wilson, Hooker, Mukuamu, Clark, Eric Scott are all keepers. Anyone outside of that I could care less. Our secondary is strong but we need to fix the front 7. I would love to see us run a 3-4 with Parsons and Williams outside but it takes a lot to convert and the worst thing is Mazi looked like ****.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Parsons, Williams, Overshown, Diggs, Bland, Wilson, Hooker, Mukuamu, Clark, Eric Scott are all keepers. Anyone outside of that I could care less. Our secondary is strong but we need to fix the front 7. I would love to see us run a 3-4 with Parsons and Williams outside but it takes a lot to convert and the worst thing is Mazi looked like ****.
Several mock drafts have us drafting a corner. So nothing will surprise me. Our biggest priority las year according to McCarthy was to fix the running game, and we did nothing to fix the running game.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Several mock drafts have us drafting a corner. So nothing will surprise me. Our biggest priority las year according to McCarthy was to fix the running game, and we did nothing to fix the running game.
Corner would be terrible. Both sides of the ball interior should be the focus. Mazi was such a wasted pick. So slow off the line, worst pick McClay has ever made and that includes Taco.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Corner would be terrible. Both sides of the ball interior should be the focus. Mazi was such a wasted pick. So slow off the line, worst pick McClay has ever made and that includes Taco.
Appears not to be a good pick, but we did him no favors by asking him to lose 30 lbs in an attempt to be someone he is not.

If that was the plan, why would you draft him in the first round? That sounds more like a 5th round development pick to me.