Players That I'm Optimistic About

McMicah

Reaction score
In this bleak offseason, I’d like to highlight a few players that I think will take a step next season or even surprise people. Let me know who think will take a step or surprise this year.

1. Juanyeh Thomas (S) - I don’t think it’s crazy to claim that Thomas was playing better than both Kearse and Wilson at their respective positions last year. I’m very happy Kearse left to give Thomas more time on the field. His reaction times and instincts are rare and he flies to the ball.

2. Demarion Overshown (LB) - I think Kendrick’s will be the QB for the defense, leaving the WLB an open competition. I think Overshown takes it and doesn’t look back. He has good coverage skills and crazy lateral mobility, and like Thomas, good instincts. His year might start slower due to the ACL, but hoping he’s fully himself by mid year.

3. TJ Bass (G) - Dude is a starter. He has great functional strength, and gets to the 2nd level better than most NFL linemen. I genuinely believe if Martin takes another step back like he did last year, Bass might surpass him. Yes, I just spoke that heresy

4. Asim Richards (T) - I think the Cowboys drafted this guy to play G and frankly he balled out at T in preseason, and kinda stunk at guard. If they let this guy play to his strength, he can minimum be your swing tackle going forward. No idea why they played Chuma over him except $.

5. Josh Ball (T G) - This is my crazy pick. You all hate Ball, and for good reason. He’s objectively a terrible OT. But go back and watch the 2nd preseason game. They moved him to Guard and he played like an absolute monster. If you go watch the press conference, McCarthy talks about him after. He got hurt the next week, so we never saw what could’ve been, but look for this guy to play G next preseason. He might be a good depth piece going forward.

sbark

Reaction score
Good list...guys gotta step up, it’s their opportunity of a lifetime.
Add young guys that saw pt hope they can keep coming on

Question.....during preseason we had a young TE, tall but light, almost a Wr, could really move, big target
Got dinged up, put on IR
He still around?....or get poached

Mcsports

Reaction score
If 60
Percent of that list comes through dallas
Will be ok. Bass does look good.
Im hoping waletzko or ball becomes
A servicable
Lineman.

plymkr

Reaction score

Question.....during preseason we had a young TE, tall but light, almost a Wr, could really move, big target
Got dinged up, put on IR
I believe he got injured around the time Overshown did. He’s the real athletic freak at TE that was a surprise. I think he’s injured. Not 100% sure tho.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Got dinged up, put on IR
John Stephens. I believe we still have him under contract. 6'5, 220. Hopefully he gained some wait. However, we have no idea what to do with a second TE other than asking them to block.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I agree with Thomas, Overshown, Bass but have my doubts on Ball and Waletzko....maybe Hoffman can step it up and be the C the Cowboys need. They still gotta draft a C and G/T in the top three rounds in my opinion.

I still also think Duece can be used properly and become a weapon on offense. This OL was dreadful in the run game for any runner to gain much yardage.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Agree on Thomas. He has exceptional movement skills. Not afraid to be physical.

Overshown is another defender with great athleticism. I think some fans are overhyping him and asking too much of him. He’ll be a good player but is not the LB savior some here are proclaiming him to be.

Bass is another overhype. He does well when he can lock up a guy but he has major deficiencies in athleticism and struggles with quickness. If they anoint him into a starting role, he will get exposed.

They needed OL help last year and despite Edoga struggling, they kept playing Edoga over Richards. That is telling.

Ball can’t play.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Agree on Thomas. He has exceptional movement skills. Not afraid to be physical.

Overshown is another defender with great athleticism. I think some fans are overhyping him and asking too much of him. He’ll be a good player but is not the LB savior some here are proclaiming him to be.

Bass is another overhype. He does well when he can lock up a guy but he has major deficiencies in athleticism and struggles with quickness. If they anoint him into a starting role, he will get exposed.

They needed OL help last year and despite Edoga struggling, they kept playing Edoga over Richards. That is telling.

Ball can’t play.
Passing on O'Cyrus for Schoonmaker looks even better now.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree with Thomas, Overshown, Bass but have my doubts on Ball and Waletzko....maybe Hoffman can step it up and be the C the Cowboys need. They still gotta draft a C and G/T in the top three rounds in my opinion.

I still also think Duece can be used properly and become a weapon on offense. This OL was dreadful in the run game for any runner to gain much yardage.
Ball looked quite good at guard and terrible at tackle. Waletzko looked sold at left tackle when we briefly saw him as a rookie but terrible at right tackle in this last preseason. Not sure either can stay healthy, though.

sbark

Reaction score
John Stephens. I believe we still have him under contract. 6'5, 220. Hopefully he gained some wait. However, we have no idea what to do with a second TE other than asking them to block.
Yup, thats the guy...
Thanks

Chasing6

Reaction score
John Stephens. I believe we still have him under contract. 6'5, 220. Hopefully he gained some weight. However, we have no idea what to do with a second TE other than asking them to block.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
In this bleak offseason, I’d like to highlight a few players that I think will take a step next season or even surprise people. Let me know who think will take a step or surprise this year.

1. Juanyeh Thomas (S) - I don’t think it’s crazy to claim that Thomas was playing better than both Kearse and Wilson at their respective positions last year. I’m very happy Kearse left to give Thomas more time on the field. His reaction times and instincts are rare and he flies to the ball.

2. Demarion Overshown (LB) - I think Kendrick’s will be the QB for the defense, leaving the WLB an open competition. I think Overshown takes it and doesn’t look back. He has good coverage skills and crazy lateral mobility, and like Thomas, good instincts. His year might start slower due to the ACL, but hoping he’s fully himself by mid year.

3. TJ Bass (G) - Dude is a starter. He has great functional strength, and gets to the 2nd level better than most NFL linemen. I genuinely believe if Martin takes another step back like he did last year, Bass might surpass him. Yes, I just spoke that heresy

4. Asim Richards (T) - I think the Cowboys drafted this guy to play G and frankly he balled out at T in preseason, and kinda stunk at guard. If they let this guy play to his strength, he can minimum be your swing tackle going forward. No idea why they played Chuma over him except $.

5. Josh Ball (T G) - This is my crazy pick. You all hate Ball, and for good reason. He’s objectively a terrible OT. But go back and watch the 2nd preseason game. They moved him to Guard and he played like an absolute monster. If you go watch the press conference, McCarthy talks about him after. He got hurt the next week, so we never saw what could’ve been, but look for this guy to play G next preseason. He might be a good depth piece going forward.
good report, but sadly it all depends on what MM and his coaches do with these guys.
They may put them in wrong spot or not play them enough.
For years I saw guys in PS that I liked, and then they either cut them, put on P. squad, or never used them much or at all.

Look at duece, we all or most of us thought he had skills if he was used in the right ways.
But cowboys lol just benched him and we didnt see him the rest of the season.

Mcsports

Reaction score
They won’t ask Stephens to block. He’s an undersized tight end with athleticism.
He have to learn the position.
Folks were excited about him last August

Chasing6

Reaction score
They won’t ask Stephens to block. He’s an undersized tight end with athleticism.
He have to learn the position.
Folks were excited about him last August
Well historically we don't throw to a second TE, so just another wasted roster spot that will have flash plays at camp and in preseason games just to go back to the practice squad.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Well historically we don't throw to a second TE, so just another wasted roster spot that will have flash plays at camp and in preseason games just to go back to the practice squad.
Barely throw it to guys who are open

McMicah

Reaction score

Got dinged up, put on IR
John Stephens, the WR convert to TE right? I’m excited to watch him again. He might be a great red zone threat / special teams piece

McMicah

Reaction score
If 60
Percent of that list comes through dallas
Will be ok. Bass does look good.
Im hoping waletzko or ball becomes
A servicable
Lineman.
Not holding out hope for Waletzko. He just can’t seem to put it together, plus health is a major factor for him

McMicah

Reaction score

I almost wrote about Deuce, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I want to believe in him so badly, but he’s just so small and we saw how that hurt him last year

McMicah

Reaction score
Ball looked quite good at guard and terrible at tackle. Waletzko looked sold at left tackle when we briefly saw him as a rookie but terrible at right tackle in this last preseason. Not sure either can stay healthy, though.
Oh man now I need to go back and watch him play LT. I totally forgot he switched between preseasons

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
1. Thomas - Not sure how he’ll perform under a different scheme, but he did look good.

2. Overshown - Dallas looked to have a great LB, until tearing his ACL. You never know how a very young player will react to coming back, plus he will be learning his second system before playing his first regular season snap!

3. Bass - A definite maybe. I certainly don’t see him as a starter on a dominant offense line, maybe a second or third stringer.

4. Richards - On a great team, he would be a practice squad player.

5. Ball - Terrible T, okay G. Another practice squad player at best for a great team.

Man, that’s quite the anointing oil you got. Acme?