Players to avoid

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Furguson weighed in at the Senior Bowl at 297 and supposedly drew oohs and aahs about his physique then dominated practice. He's number one on my board for NFL success.

I agree. I have had Ferguson in the top 5 since the begining of the year. I just think he's that good.

I consider Anthoney Munoz to be the finest NFL lineman I've ever seen play and when he was coming out of USC, many didn't like him as much as other's because he had a knee injury previously and only weighed something like 285 pounds or so coming out. He would eventually get bigger but he was consider a bit lite in those days as well. I just think Ferguson is the best OT talent I've seen in a very good while. I think he will be a cornerstone player. I think he will dominate in the NFL and I think the team that gets him just might end up with a HOF player on there hands.

neosapien23

Reaction score
cobra said:
Except when he drafted Drew Bledsoe with the #1 overall pick.

Or when he drafted Chad Pennington with his first pick.

I swear, you people just make this stuff up about what BP will or won't do.

Bill Parcells did not draft Drew Bledsoe. The GM made that pick. He also over ruled Parcells on the Terry Glen pick as well. Thats why BP said, "If they want me to coock the meal, they could let me pick the groceries." He did make the Pennington pick as the Jets GM though.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
No, Drew was a Parcells Pick. As was Pennington.

You are right on Glenn.

But all the same, comments like "Parcells hates young QBs [so he won't draft one]" are just ignorant nonsense made up by people to confirm their own preferences as opposed to be an accurate reflection of Parcells' own beliefs.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I agree. I have had Ferguson in the top 5 since the begining of the year. I just think he's that good.

I consider Anthoney Munoz to be the finest NFL lineman I've ever seen play and when he was coming out of USC, many didn't like him as much as other's because he had a knee injury previously and only weighed something like 285 pounds or so coming out. He would eventually get bigger but he was consider a bit lite in those days as well. I just think Ferguson is the best OT talent I've seen in a very good while. I think he will be a cornerstone player. I think he will dominate in the NFL and I think the team that gets him just might end up with a HOF player on there hands.

If I were the Texans, I'd take him #1 or give up Bush for him and others. If NO grabs Leinart and Tenn grabs Young, a trade down with the Jets after the picks makes perfect sense. The Texans get the best player plus other compensation while the Jets get to really make a splash with Bush in the major media market.

neosapien23

Reaction score
cobra said:
No, Drew was a Parcells Pick. As was Pennington.

You are right on Glenn.

But all the same, comments like "Parcells hates young QBs [so he won't draft one]" are just ignorant nonsense made up by people to confirm their own preferences as opposed to be an accurate reflection of Parcells' own beliefs.

There really haven't been any good quarterbacks that we've had a legitimate chance of drafting. Aaron Rogers slipped for a reason. Most scouts did not like him. I can't remeber why he slipped. It's not like BP passed on Eli or Rothlesberger. They were never their to begin with.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
cobra said:
Except when he drafted Drew Bledsoe with the #1 overall pick.

Or when he drafted Chad Pennington with his first pick.

I swear, you people just make this stuff up about what BP will or won't do.

Bingo - thats it - they just make it up

He hates young QB's so much he's gone with Romo/Henson as backups past two seasons.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Bill Parcells did not draft Drew Bledsoe. The GM made that pick. He also over ruled Parcells on the Terry Glen pick as well. Thats why BP said, "If they want me to coock the meal, they could let me pick the groceries." He did make the Pennington pick as the Jets GM though.

No Parcells was part of the process to take Bledsoe. He inherited a 1-15 team and Parcells/Bledsoe turned that franchise around and were in the Super Bowl in short order.

Drew Bledsoe was 20 years old and he started him day 1. Bledsoe broke almost every passing record by a QB in first 5 seasons.

Parcells does not hate young QB's. The Hensonites try and throw Hensons lack of playing readiness at Parcells. Deal with it - he's in NFLe for a reason.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
If I were the Texans, I'd take him #1 or give up Bush for him and others. If NO grabs Leinart and Tenn grabs Young, a trade down with the Jets after the picks makes perfect sense. The Texans get the best player plus other compensation while the Jets get to really make a splash with Bush in the major media market.

I would do that trade down in a second. I just think he's going to be a great football player. To be honest with you, I wouldn't mind trading up to get a player of that quality. Never going to happen. We don't have the ordinance to move up that high and he won't slip far enough down IMO. Would be nice thou.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
No Parcells was part of the process to take Bledsoe. He inherited a 1-15 team and Parcells/Bledsoe turned that franchise around and were in the Super Bowl in short order.

Drew Bledsoe was 20 years old and he started him day 1. Bledsoe broke almost every passing record by a QB in first 5 seasons.

Parcells does not hate young QB's. The Hensonites try and throw Hensons lack of playing readiness at Parcells. Deal with it - he's in NFLe for a reason.

The part about Bledsoe is true but I think you also have to qualify it with the fact that he started Bledsoe as a Rookie because he had no choice. I believe Hugh Millan was the starter but sustained injury. Scott Zolak (also injured), Tom Hodson (also injured) and Scott Secules were the other QBs. Parcells really had no other choice but to start Bledsoe that year.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
AJ Nicholson has a rather lengthy rap sheet. DUI. Sexual Assault. Restrained by officers using tasers.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
The part about Bledsoe is true but I think you also have to qualify it with the fact that he started Bledsoe as a Rookie because he had no choice. I believe Hugh Millan was the starter but sustained injury. Scott Zolak (also injured), Tom Hodson (also injured) and Scott Secules were the other QBs. Parcells really had no other choice but to start Bledsoe that year.

He could have gone out and brought a Vet in if he felt the kid was not ready. Bledsoe played at a very high level quick in the NFL. Parcells saw that and didn't "go get" a VT type and he could have if he saw Drew 3/4 years away from ready - JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
He could have gone out and brought a Vet in if he felt the kid was not ready. Bledsoe played at a very high level quick in the NFL. Parcells saw that and didn't "go get" a VT type and he could have if he saw Drew 3/4 years away from ready - JMO

They did. If memory serves, Hodson was slated to be the guy but got hurt in camp. That left NE with few options so they brought in Secules and figured that between Secules and Zolak, they would be able to struggle through. Didn't happen that way. BP could not forsee all the injuries that happened to the QB position and as it turned out, Bledsoe was his best option. Not saying Bledsoe didn't have talent but I'm pretty certain that if the injuries wouldn't have occured the way they did, Bledsoe would not have been the starter for Parcells in his rookie year.

wileedog

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
They did. If memory serves, Hodson was slated to be the guy but got hurt in camp. That left NE with few options so they brought in Secules and figured that between Secules and Zolak, they would be able to struggle through. Didn't happen that way. BP could not forsee all the injuries that happened to the QB position and as it turned out, Bledsoe was his best option. Not saying Bledsoe didn't have talent but I'm pretty certain that if the injuries wouldn't have occured the way they did, Bledsoe would not have been the starter for Parcells in his rookie year.

Anectodal evidence, but according to Drew he was not handed the job outright in TC. Bill told Drew's dad he wouldn't "throw him to the wolves." A few weeks later when he talked to Drew's dad again, he said "I think he just might be a wolf."

Take it FWIW, but it seems to indicate Bledsoe was not slated to start automatically from day 1, but by the end of camp Bill was comfortable with the idea.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Anectodal evidence, but according to Drew he was not handed the job outright in TC. Bill told Drew's dad he wouldn't "throw him to the wolves." A few weeks later when he talked to Drew's dad again, he said "I think he just might be a wolf."

Take it FWIW, but it seems to indicate Bledsoe was not slated to start automatically from day 1, but by the end of camp Bill was comfortable with the idea.

Bill will play a Rookie if deemed ready. Bledsoe won the job as a Rookie for Parcells. Hodson? Secules? (Zolak was young too) Millen? Bledsoe beat them all out at age 20.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
wileedog said:

I don't think he was comfortable, I think the injuries dictated the fact that he was the best option left. I mean, what's the guy gonna say when the only healthy QB you got on the roster, able to throw the ball 20 yards down field is a rookie?

One thing I've noticed about Parcells in the time he's been here is that he protects his QBs. Who ever the starter is, he says all the right things and never does anything to shake confidence. Look at Carter, Vinnie and Drew. In games that they have clearly played poorly, he never says anything in public that might shake confidence.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
Bill will play a Rookie if deemed ready. Bledsoe won the job as a Rookie for Parcells. Hodson? Secules? (Zolak was young too) Millen? Bledsoe beat them all out at age 20.

Absolutely, all be it, from the IR.

wileedog

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
One thing I've noticed about Parcells in the time he's been here is that he protects his QBs. Who ever the starter is, he says all the right things and never does anything to shake confidence. Look at Carter, Vinnie and Drew. In games that they have clearly played poorly, he never says anything in public that might shake confidence.

Good points.

Still, he was talking to Drew's dad, not the media. The story didn't come out until many years later.

But I'll take your word on the rest, I didn't/don't remember the injury situations.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Good points.

Still, he was talking to Drew's dad, not the media. The story didn't come out until many years later.

But I'll take your word on the rest, I didn't/don't remember the injury situations.

In truth, I don't remember all there is to remember about the injury situation either. I remember that there was a rash of injuries that year for New England at QB and I believe it was to Hugh Millan, (a guy they had traded for, from Atlanta I believe), Tom Hodson, a guy they drafted a few years earlier, and maybe Zolak early in the year. I think Secules was brought in later to give the team 3 QBs on the roster. I don't know that Bledsoe wasn't good enough to win the job out right but knowing BP, I just don't think that Bledsoe would ever have gotten the chance to do so with Vet in the line up. I don't think any of these guys were ever seriously viewed as the future of the club and I do believe that it was only a matter of time, in any case, but I'm not certain it would have been Bledsoe's rookie year.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. The truth of the matter is that NE did not have a great deal of talent at QB then. Bledsoe was certainly a boast in the arm where that was concerned. Things worked out the way they did. Bledsoe started his rookie year for a number of reasons that were unique to that team and that time.

Had a QB like Bledsoe been drafted by us last year with the quality of Veteran QB we had in Bledsoe, do you think a rookie would have started?

I don't see it.

ghst187

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Furguson weighed in at the Senior Bowl at 297 and supposedly drew oohs and aahs about his physique then dominated practice. He's number one on my board for NFL success.

if that's true then I'll put him on my want list. He's absolutely amazing athlete and so good at blocking i think he gets bored. There was a lot of reports floating around though that he was playing in the 270 range this past year though. If he's 297, then it probably won't hurt him much to put on 20 more pounds.