Playoff Scenarios Website

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Danny White;2460172 said:
Apparently, if we go 11-5 with our loss being to the Giants, the three top NFC South teams can all go 11-5 as well and we'd be on the outside looking in.

That CAN happen, but only in the right combination of results (certain wins and losses). There are ways we can get in at 11-5, even if all three of those teams are 11-5.

tiny tim

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2460251 said:
:lmao2: @ Steelers eliminated on the AFC side too.

On a lot of them I was just picking whatever and the way it all turned out was interesting :) I kept having Arizona and some other teams get beat to make sure we would get the number one seed so that is how Arizona got to 7-9 and Arizona still made the playoffs :eek: I see that I had the Lions win 3 games. I actually just wanted to make sure the the Lions won one game. Some of it was me having the Lions beat teams that are still in the playoffs race and some of it was me just doing whatever. So the Lions went 3-1 in December.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hostile;2459358 said:
Which is exactly what I have been saying.

I think everyone whose paying attention is saying that.

It is the crazies who think we will get in even if we lose 3 games or not get in even if we go undefeated that worry me:)

The answer is simple, win at least 3 more and screw the scoreboard watching.

:star:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
fwiw, my scenario has us losing to the giants but winning all the rest.

giving the nfc south home teams wins and wins where they are the better team.

Carolina at 11-5 wins a tiebreaker over the 11-5 Bucs for the division.
Dallas at 11-5 wins the tie-breaker over the Bucs because of head to head and claim the 5th seed.

Dallas plays Minny at Minny as the 4th seed.

Giants 14-2
Panthers 11-5
Cards 10-6
COWBOYS 11-5
Bucs 11-5

In my scenario Dallas gets in regardless if they win 11 games but would not if they win 10.

kramskoi

Reaction score
something has to give in the NFC South over the next two weeks...

Dallas has a few things going for them:

Strength of Victory in the event of a tied conference record and not enough common games [4 needed] [Car and Atl]

Head to Head against Tampa Bay

Incredibly, Dallas could lose this weekend and still pick up the #6 seed if Atlanta also loses, which would push them to 5-4 within the NFC versus 6-4 Dallas.

A Dallas win coupled with a Carolina loss also moves them to #6 on strength of victory.

A Dallas win plus a Tampa Bay loss moves Dallas to #5 regardless of what Atlanta does because Tampa currently holds the head to head against them until they play for the second time.

I do hope that Dallas realizes that they must either win at Pittsburgh or home against New York [running the table afterward] because 11-5 or better has to be the way in for them. I don't trust Atlanta with its softer schedule.

That said, Carolina, Atlanta and Tampa Bay are the only teams that matter now for the Cowboys. Footballlocks.com has Dallas #5 and Carolina #6 as the wild card teams in its playoff projections, both finishing at 11-5. Washington and Chicago are the bubble teams, though i think 11-5 for Washington is a bit high considering their remaining schedule.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2459354 said:
Wow, after playing around with it for awhile, we pretty much have to go 3-1 to get into the playoffs.

and even that may not get us in.

These 8-3 teams scare me.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
sacowboysfan513;2459499 said:
There were a few likely scenarios that I came up with where 10-6 gets us in.

First of all, it would be in our best interest to beat both Giants and Eagles. If we had to lose two, we would want it to be against the Steelers and Ravens.

But if we were to lose to Pitt and Eagles, or Ravens and Eagles, we would need the Commanders to lose to the eagles. But in this scenario, we would need the Eagles to lose to the Giants, otherwise that would mean they probably win out and make the playoffs instead.

We absolutely HAVE to beat NYG and PHI in order to make the playoffs, since it would give us a better record in the NFC. With other teams losing, we'd still make it in as a 5 or 6 seed.

If we pick up one win against PIT or BAL (especially PIT) we're almost surely in.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
casmith07;2460493 said:
We absolutely HAVE to beat NYG and PHI in order to make the playoffs

"Absolutely have to" implies that we can't make it without winning both of those games, which isn't true at all.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2460572 said:
"Absolutely have to" implies that we can't make it without winning both of those games, which isn't true at all.

No. But if we lose we need to lose out of conference. Preferably we win them all and prove we are SB contenders.

Rudy

Reaction score
My most rational scenario has Dallas (5th) Skins (6th) both getting in at 10-6, obviously meaning the Cowboys could lose 2 games. Maybe I'm nuts, but at least this will websites given optimism that will keep the gun out of my mouth if things don't go so smoothly Sunday.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
jobberone;2460607 said:
No. But if we lose we need to lose out of conference. Preferably we win them all and prove we are SB contenders.

There's a difference between wanting and needing. We don't NEED to win both of our NFC games to make the playoffs. It would help, but it's certainly not necessary.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
Rudy;2460673 said:
My most rational scenario has Dallas (5th) Skins (6th) both getting in at 10-6, obviously meaning the Cowboys could lose 2 games. Maybe I'm nuts, but at least this will websites given optimism that will keep the gun out of my mouth if things don't go so smoothly Sunday.

atlanta and the panthers/bucs planes would have to explode during a flight for this to happen. even if that happens, there is still a good chance they would still beat us out.

three and one or we are done.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Great stuff guys.

What's interesting is that the consensus is that we take the #5 seed, which is what I've been expecting since last weeks game results.

Hoping for 12-4, but in the end it most likely wont matter. In fact I'm guessing that we head into week 17 at 11-4, with the play-offs clinched and perhaps even the #5 seed clinched.

#5 is what I want. Not that going to Arizona scares me at all. It's just that going to Minn is obviously the easier draw.

#5 would also give us a chance to travel to TB or Carolina for the divisional round if the #6 seed beats Arizona. I certainly see this as a good possibility.

Either way at Minn and at Carolina is a fairly reasonable path to the NFC Championship game. In fact I'd bet we'd be favored in both games.

Most importantly, we'd get to play the Giants in NY for the NFC Championship with an equal amount of rest.

Rudy

Reaction score
That scenario makes the last week @ Philly for the wildcard...the winner would be in.