Playoff Scenarios Website

demirji22

Reaction score
So me and another poster both tried to put together an excel spreadsheet that could figure out all the possible scenarios for the playoffs.
We both got a certain amount done but...

Yahoo just put up a site where you can do this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoff...=01450004&15=05010450&16=01400451&17=10014400

You chose wwho wins which games and it will tell you who is the division winner, wildcard, and all of the playoff matchups.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Wow, after playing around with it for awhile, we pretty much have to go 3-1 to get into the playoffs.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt;2459354 said:
Wow, after playing around with it for awhile, we pretty much have to go 3-1 to get into the playoffs.
Which is exactly what I have been saying.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
This thing is sweet.

I was just messing around with it putting in teams that I think would win. I came up with a scenario where Dallas(12-4) vs Vikings (8-8) lol, Vikings can win the division at 8-8?? Crazy

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
There were a few likely scenarios that I came up with where 10-6 gets us in.

First of all, it would be in our best interest to beat both Giants and Eagles. If we had to lose two, we would want it to be against the Steelers and Ravens.

But if we were to lose to Pitt and Eagles, or Ravens and Eagles, we would need the Commanders to lose to the eagles. But in this scenario, we would need the Eagles to lose to the Giants, otherwise that would mean they probably win out and make the playoffs instead.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Hostile;2459358 said:
Which is exactly what I have been saying.

there are some scenarios where both dallas and atlanta can finsih @ 10/6 and we make the playoffs.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theogt;2459354 said:

We can go 2-2 and make the playoffs. I've found all sorts of scenarios where it happens.

If we beat only the Giants and Eagles, the Commanders lose once (such as at Baltimore) and the Falcons lose twice (most likely to Tampa Bay and Minnesota, but possibly New Orleans), we're in, no matter what else happens.

There are other scenarios, but that's probably the simplest.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2460160 said:
We can go 2-2 and make the playoffs. I've found all sorts of scenarios where it happens.

If we beat only the Giants and Eagles, the Commanders lose once (such as at Baltimore) and the Falcons lose twice (most likely to Tampa Bay and Minnesota, but possibly New Orleans), we're in, no matter what else happens.

There are other scenarios, but that's probably the simplest.
Oh, I know. But there doesn't seem to be nearly as many as there are against it. A statistical analysis would be cool.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Apparently, if we go 11-5 with our loss being to the Giants, the three top NFC South teams can all go 11-5 as well and we'd be on the outside looking in.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
theogt;2460165 said:
Oh, I know. But there doesn't seem to be nearly as many as there are against it. A statistical analysis would be cool.

I found this website last year. It calculates the chances we win a given seed. Right now there's less than 1% chance we win seed 1-4 (and its out of our control). Out of all the scenarios there's an 18% chance we win the #5 seed (and its out of our control). And there's a 20% chance we win #6 (in our control).

Interesting stuff...

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfcstandings.html

Also, Commanders have now lost control of their destiny.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2460175 said:
I found this website last year. It calculates the chances we win a given seed. Right now there's less than 1% chance we win seed 1-4 (and its out of our control). Out of all the scenarios there's an 18% chance we win the #5 seed (and its out of our control). And there's a 20% chance we win #6 (in our control).

Interesting stuff...

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfcstandings.html

Also, Commanders have now lost control of their destiny.
Thanks, that is pretty interesting. Though I'm not sure what they're defining "chance" as. I assume they mean, out of X number of possible scenarios, in 20% of them we end in the 6th seed. Not that there's a 20% likelihood we end in the 6th seed.

Edit: Forget all that, I've just read a little more of the website.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
theogt;2460182 said:
Thanks, that is pretty interesting. Though I'm not sure what they're defining "chance" as. I assume they mean, out of X number of possible scenarios, in 20% of them we end in the 6th seed. Not that there's a 20% likelihood we end in the 6th seed.

Edit: Forget all that, I've just read a little more of the website.

Hmm, i am not sure if it does an analysis or it predicts your chance of winning. Found something else nice there, it tells us what the best/worst case scenarios for us this week are.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/cowboyswhatif.html

Best Case Scenario
Ravens beats Commanders
Saints beats Falcons
Cowboys beats Steelers

Helps having to do thinking. And less thinkin am good.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Okay, according to that website, if we go 2-2, we have a 43% chance of making the playoffs. And if we go 3-1, we have a 92% chance of making the playoffs.

And, of course, if we go 4-0, then we have 100% chance of making the playoffs.

Bizwah

Reaction score
theogt;2460202 said:
Okay, according to that website, if we go 2-2, we have a 43% chance of making the playoffs. And if we go 3-1, we have a 92% chance of making the playoffs.

And, of course, if we go 4-0, then we have 100% chance of making the playoffs.

I'll take this one please.