CFZ Please remind me, why did we cut Mike White?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Our former 2018 fifth round pick started today for the New York Jets and his numbers were 22-28-315-3TD-0INT.

In 2018 the Cowboys kept two quarterbacks as Dak Prescott started and played every down that season.

The quarterback they decided to keep was Cooper Rush, no argument there. However, they found nothing in Mike White that made them decide to keep both White and Rush.

The Cowboys cut Cooper rush before the season and nobody wanted him, which allowed him to be on the practice squad, available to activate if needed.

White ended up on the Jets practice squad and, due to injuries to the other QB's he actually started a game in 2021 against the Bengals, the eventual conference champion.

White threw for over 400 yards in his first start and the Jets upset the Bengals.

I think this is a classic example of excellent evaluation by the scouts and poor evaluation by the coaches.

It's not the first time in Cowboys history, I'm thinking of posting a list of players that the Cowboys cut only to have really good careers.

It would include guys like 1983 second round pick LB Mike Walter, 1978 second round pick RB Todd Christiensen, 1992 second round draft pick Jimmy Smith, 1977 tenth round pick, QB Steve Deberg, and 1970 third round pick LB Steve Kiner. There are a lot of interesting stories there.
It is one game.
Remember Moore had a 400 yard game here as a back up.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Our former 2018 fifth round pick started today for the New York Jets and his numbers were 22-28-315-3TD-0INT.

In 2018 the Cowboys kept two quarterbacks as Dak Prescott started and played every down that season.

The quarterback they decided to keep was Cooper Rush, no argument there. However, they found nothing in Mike White that made them decide to keep both White and Rush.

The Cowboys cut Cooper rush before the season and nobody wanted him, which allowed him to be on the practice squad, available to activate if needed.

White ended up on the Jets practice squad and, due to injuries to the other QB's he actually started a game in 2021 against the Bengals, the eventual conference champion.

White threw for over 400 yards in his first start and the Jets upset the Bengals.

I think this is a classic example of excellent evaluation by the scouts and poor evaluation by the coaches.

It's not the first time in Cowboys history, I'm thinking of posting a list of players that the Cowboys cut only to have really good careers.

It would include guys like 1983 second round pick LB Mike Walter, 1978 second round pick RB Todd Christiensen, 1992 second round draft pick Jimmy Smith, 1977 tenth round pick, QB Steve Deberg, and 1970 third round pick LB Steve Kiner. There are a lot of interesting stories there.
because at the time he sucked and we had to make a choice.....why is that any time any of the former cowboys players does something, then everyone comes here and posts about why we cut him.....if we kept all the former cowboys players that had a good game we need a 95 man roster. don't forget he was a back up behind Wilson. he had one good game (and another one last year). there is a reason he is a back up. and when he was here he sucked. that's why

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
FOPYe26VUAcHjQh.jpg
Im going with this dipstick
I don't think it was his decision. They Joneses have coaches to decide who is the better backup QB. Besides, it was the right decision, based on everything we saw at the time, and still might prove to be.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
His first preseason he looked great. All us fans were singing his praises. His second preseason he looked terrible. Most were thinking he sucks and they should cut their losses. I just thought it was a sophomore slump and they should give him time. He's never going to be a world better but he'd be decent. A poor mans version of Ryan Tanehill. Give him a strong running game, a stout defense and he'll take you places.

Poor choice to let him walk. A taller Cooper Rush with a stronger arm is what he is. He would have made a pretty good bus driver on a Bill Parcells type team.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Anybody who watched Mike White play in the preseason that year understands why he got cut. He stunk in Dallas. Good on him to finally start showing up three years later. But he outstunk Rush and the other kid they picked up in free agency that year.. Austin Davis?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
His first preseason he looked great. All us fans were singing his praises. His second preseason he looked terrible. Most were thinking he sucks and they should cut their losses. I just thought it was a sophomore slump and they should give him time. He's never going to be a world better but he'd be decent. A poor mans version of Ryan Tanehill. Give him a strong running game, a stout defense and he'll take you places.

Poor choice to let him walk. A taller Cooper Rush with a stronger arm is what he is. He would have made a pretty good bus driver on a Bill Parcells type team.
Hindsight is always 20/20.
How bout all the rejects that have come here and had solid seasons?
Do we get credit for them ?
Marc Columbo wants to know.

blueblood70

Reaction score

a lot of you missed the point.. if hes got that type of upside, why since 2019 Hes not been named the starter?? he was on a PS or 2 and then played a few games as sub here and other but NEVER even with the jest have they trusted letting him start or play a lot. why did they pick up Flacco, didn't flacco start most of those game Wilson was out earlier in the year hurt???WHY??

I mean all this noise and i blame the OP is for NOT..MW is a Career backup , reminds me of Heineke but no way we are sorry we let him walk, lol

such an overreaction. maybe the jets came full circle and realize how they made huge mistake letting Geno smith walk. hmm we can do this all day with players who take YEARS after they leave team to look like player ??years man, years, not like he left went out and became a starter within a year.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Mike white is a player. Always thought it was dumb to let him go. Never saw him as a permanent starter but that may be changing.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Hindsight is always 20/20.
How bout all the rejects that have come here and had solid seasons?
Do we get credit for them ?
Marc Columbo wants to know.
When I was gauging Mike White's usefulness it wasn't hindsight. He was still in a Cowboys uniform.

Um...I only mentioned White in my post. How does the rest of your post fit with mine? Colombo, credit, and solid season?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
When I was gauging Mike White's usefulness it wasn't hindsight. He was still in a Cowboys uniform.

Um...I only mentioned White in my post. How does the rest of your post fit with mine? Colombo, credit, and solid season?
I was going big picture.
There is a lot of Mike White Rueing going on the board today.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
a lot of you missed the point.. if hes got that type of upside, why since 2019 Hes not been named the starter?? he was on a PS or 2 and then played a few games as sub here and other but NEVER even with the jest have they trusted letting him start or play a lot. why did they pick up Flacco, didn't flacco start most of those game Wilson was out earlier in the year hurt???WHY??

I mean all this noise and i blame the OP is for NOT..MW is a Career backup , reminds me of Heineke but no way we are sorry we let him walk, lol

such an overreaction. maybe the jets came full circle and realize how they made huge mistake letting Geno smith walk. hmm we can do this all day with players who take YEARS after they leave team to look like player ??years man, years, not like he left went out and became a starter within a year.
I didn't say the guy was great. I didn't say he should be a starter in the NFL. I think he would have been pretty decent in a run first offense with a strong defense. Rush just won four games with a run first offense and some strong defensive performances. So he would have been a taller Rush with a stronger arm, IMO. Does that mean Rush needs to be a starter in the NFL? No! Does that mean White needs to be a starter in the NFL? No!

I think White would be a great backup to Tanehill, because that's the type of team he needs to play for. A run first team, with a strong defense. Yes I'd rather we kept White over Rush. But that doesn't mean I wanted White to replace our starter permanently.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yes, I know what happened. Problem is, he was atrociously good today.

Romo didn't throw his first official NFL pass until his fourth season. I wonder what it was that made them feel White wasn't worth the same development.

Because, obviously whatever it was, they were wrong.
Well first we need to see if he can sustain playing like that rest of season.
The jets HC, is the DC from 49'ers, in his 2nd year, and maybe he is the one who saw something in white.

Alot of guys with potential fall thru the cracks and into obscurity or out of nfl because they never really get a chance,
or they did and werent ready.

Dak got a golden chance when kellen went down for season, and then tony, so he was suddenly the
starter. He did make good with it, so he was more ready than the average qb.
White never really got a chance with dallas being # 3 or # 4 and having to try and look
good in ps or camp. that isnt easy to do.
he has been with the jets since the new HC took over, so he had time to get better and be relaxed.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I didn't say the guy was great. I didn't say he should be a starter in the NFL. I think he would have been pretty decent in a run first offense with a strong defense. Rush just won four games with a run first offense and some strong defensive performances. So he would have been a taller Rush with a stronger arm, IMO. Does that mean Rush needs to be a starter in the NFL? No! Does that mean White needs to be a starter in the NFL? No!

I think White would be a great backup to Tanehill, because that's the type of team he needs to play for. A run first team, with a strong defense. Yes I'd rather we kept White over Rush. But that doesn't mean I wanted White to replace our starter.
but its anciant history and rush won the job and now is the backup..and???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Ten Jets didnt even see white that way, proof? Flacco started many games and was brought in as the backup, NOT WHITE, 3rd on the depth chart
Next

c54650b7278f88a3eeaa7aa7d5fce4f7.jpg

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well first we need to see if he can sustain playing like that rest of season.
The jets HC, is the DC from 49'ers, in his 2nd year, and maybe he is the one who saw something in white.

Alot of guys with potential fall thru the cracks and into obscurity or out of nfl because they never really get a chance,
or they did and werent ready.

Dak got a golden chance when kellen went down for season, and then tony, so he was suddenly the
starter. He did make good with it, so he was more ready than the average qb.
White never really got a chance with dallas being # 3 or # 4 and having to try and look
good in ps or camp. that isnt easy to do.
he has been with the jets since the new HC took over, so he had time to get better and be relaxed.
He didn't last time we had this ridiculous conversation. had a couple high INT games