CFZ Please remind me, why did we cut Mike White?

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I'm happy for Mike White, and will be rooting for him down the stretch.

I'd be furious and lamenting the decision to let him go if we didn't win all but 1 game that Dak was injured this year.

If anything, it should give you confidence that the Cowboys are improving their scouting of QB's (minus the Ben DiNucci anomaly- that guy isn't an NFL player).

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Our former 2018 fifth round pick started today for the New York Jets and his numbers were 22-28-315-3TD-0INT.

In 2018 the Cowboys kept two quarterbacks as Dak Prescott started and played every down that season.

The quarterback they decided to keep was Cooper Rush, no argument there. However, they found nothing in Mike White that made them decide to keep both White and Rush.

The Cowboys cut Cooper rush before the season and nobody wanted him, which allowed him to be on the practice squad, available to activate if needed.

White ended up on the Jets practice squad and, due to injuries to the other QB's he actually started a game in 2021 against the Bengals, the eventual conference champion.

White threw for over 400 yards in his first start and the Jets upset the Bengals.

I think this is a classic example of excellent evaluation by the scouts and poor evaluation by the coaches.

It's not the first time in Cowboys history, I'm thinking of posting a list of players that the Cowboys cut only to have really good careers.

It would include guys like 1983 second round pick LB Mike Walter, 1978 second round pick RB Todd Christiensen, 1992 second round draft pick Jimmy Smith, 1977 tenth round pick, QB Steve Deberg, and 1970 third round pick LB Steve Kiner. There are a lot of interesting stories there.

because are are not yet mature enough to see or guide QB talent....but of course give dinucci more chances....we draft like the best in league but do not train anywhere near how we draft....hope we get

a lot better.....feeling very negative right now and not sure why....might be time for Klonopin

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Our backup QB is like 5-1 as a starter? I'll take that for a backup.

Nick but truth is Rush throws about has hard as Danny White if you ever remember him in 80's....more like a frisbee than a rope

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Seattle should be given more credit for being patient and believing in Geno Smith, ironically a former 2nd pick of the Jets. That dude is completing 72% of his passes and outplaying many QBs this entire year (not just one game).

yes for the first time EVER.....the stars aligned for Geno this year...lets see if he replicates it consistently?

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Our former 2018 fifth round pick started today for the New York Jets and his numbers were 22-28-315-3TD-0INT.

In 2018 the Cowboys kept two quarterbacks as Dak Prescott started and played every down that season.

The quarterback they decided to keep was Cooper Rush, no argument there. However, they found nothing in Mike White that made them decide to keep both White and Rush.

The Cowboys cut Cooper rush before the season and nobody wanted him, which allowed him to be on the practice squad, available to activate if needed.

White ended up on the Jets practice squad and, due to injuries to the other QB's he actually started a game in 2021 against the Bengals, the eventual conference champion.

White threw for over 400 yards in his first start and the Jets upset the Bengals.

I think this is a classic example of excellent evaluation by the scouts and poor evaluation by the coaches.

It's not the first time in Cowboys history, I'm thinking of posting a list of players that the Cowboys cut only to have really good careers.

It would include guys like 1983 second round pick LB Mike Walter, 1978 second round pick RB Todd Christiensen, 1992 second round draft pick Jimmy Smith, 1977 tenth round pick, QB Steve Deberg, and 1970 third round pick LB Steve Kiner. There are a lot of interesting stories there.
Todd refused to play TE for the Cowboys and was not a FB. He got cut and immediately played TE for the Raiders. Todd was born and mentally impaired to be a Raider.
Mike Walter was overrated for the 4-3 Defense as Landry said he could run the 40yd dash backwards as fast as he ran forward, which was 4.90 seconds. ***! We knew then that Landry was losing it.
Jimmy Smith was the beginning of showing what a Dumbo GM and Dynasty Killer Jerry Dumbo GM Jones would be for the Cowboys.
Steve Deberg was a numbers game with the previous signing of Danny White back from the WFL, and Landry being comfortable with Glenn Carano as a no.3. Not drafting Montana, Marino, and not trading for Elway was the end of the Landry era.
There was no room for Kiner with the LBers of the 70's Lee Roy Jordan, Chuck Howley, Dave Edwards, DD Lewis, and then there was Hollywood and the Dirty Dozen draft.

Oh we cut Mike White because the scouts were smart and the coaches were stupid...see Jason Garrett and Kellen Moore. Mike Mayock loved him...

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I don't think teams should give up on young players as early as they do, although I understand it some because of roster considerations. When you draft a quarterback from Western Kentucky or James Madison, you should give them at least three full years to develop.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He stunk when he saw the field for us and they decided other players were better. Some guys take longer to develop and adjust to the league. Kudos to him for navigating his way to stay in the league long enough to be able to produce when his number was called but he didn't do it fast enough to stick with the team that drafted him. There are 100s of guys like him and most wash out before that ever gat a real chance. I have no regrets on him. He was horrible and no one could have ever thought he would develop into anything with what he showed.

Havic

Reaction score
This isnt the same Mike White who was cut. The one who was cut looked like he was done in this league imo.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
So here's the thing

We drafted him in 2018...and he spent that entire season as the #3 QB...which makes sense.\

In 2019, he didn't look particularly well in training camp and pre-season and we decided to only carry 2 QBs...Dak and Cooper. Hard to say why...I'm pretty sure there was some player at the time we just had to keep who ultimately developed into nothing, but I don't see any reason as to why we cut him. Ultimately it may have just cut down to not having enough reps to develop Rush and White. If so, hard to say we didn't make the right call. But fwiw, White spent the entire year on the Jets *practice squad* so we could have signed him at any point.

In 2020, we let Rush go since we signed Dalton and drafted the great Ben DiNucci. Obviously this was a disaster. Dak went down early in the season, but despite the cluster **** we had at QB and Mike White being on the practice squad, we never signed him. Would have been a waste considering it was a new coaching staff at this point *and* he still never threw a pass for the Jets.

Finally in 2021, White would finally see the field and have mixed results. Wasn't better than Cooper Rush...but obviously more talent is here than in NY. Also worth noting that *if* we kept White, he'd be an UFA after this season and we'd still have to either pony up for a back up QB or draft a new one.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Todd refused to play TE for the Cowboys and was not a FB. He got cut and immediately played TE for the Raiders. Todd was born and mentally impaired to be a Raider.
Mike Walter was overrated for the 4-3 Defense as Landry said he could run the 40yd dash backwards as fast as he ran forward, which was 4.90 seconds. ***! We knew then that Landry was losing it.
Jimmy Smith was the beginning of showing what a Dumbo GM and Dynasty Killer Jerry Dumbo GM Jones would be for the Cowboys.
Steve Deberg was a numbers game with the previous signing of Danny White back from the WFL, and Landry being comfortable with Glenn Carano as a no.3. Not drafting Montana, Marino, and not trading for Elway was the end of the Landry era.
There was no room for Kiner with the LBers of the 70's Lee Roy Jordan, Chuck Howley, Dave Edwards, DD Lewis, and then there was Hollywood and the Dirty Dozen draft.

Oh we cut Mike White because the scouts were smart and the coaches were stupid...see Jason Garrett and Kellen Moore. Mike Mayock loved him...

I remember Marino going very late in the first round. So many teams passed on him, including his hometown Steelers who had to know Bradshaw was done. I forget how man QBs were taken ahead of him 4-5-6. I believe there were drug rumors about him and thats why his stock dropped back then. They were unfounded, never proved to be true. Wouldn't that have been nice to have had Marino in the 80s.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Don't forget OG Brian Waters.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I remember Marino going very late in the first round. So many teams passed on him, including his hometown Steelers who had to know Bradshaw was done. I forget how man QBs were taken ahead of him 4-5-6. I believe there were drug rumors about him and thats why his stock dropped back then. They were unfounded, never proved to be true. Wouldn't that have been nice to have had Marino in the 80s.
Landry was losing it. So when the Elway deal felled through he was confident in White and was blind by the arm of Hogeboom. The next year they drafted Steve Pathetic Pelluer who fit Landry's Christian Athlete mode. Because Landry was on the Christian Athlete kick, he passed on Marino, who partied (beer and mary jane) and chased girls (mary jane with legs) after winning a national championship for Pittsburgh as a Junior. What else was a 19-20 year old college man going to do as big man on campus. Well White got hurt, Hogeboom was not Elway, Pelluer was pathetic, Landry was not ready for the modern QB revolution of Reggie Collier, and the rest is history for the Jimmy Johnson era, no more Landry.

RonWashington

Reaction score
He didn’t develop fast enough to warrant a roster spot. Also, they played the Bears today, tap the brakes a bit :muttley:

He put up 450 against the Bengals last season in a rare Jets win . At the very least barring injury White should start the rest of the year try and get a miserable franchise a wildcard spot .

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Our backup QB is like 5-1 as a starter? I'll take that for a backup.

5-1 as a starter because the defense led the way. Cooper's offense was ranked near the bottom of the league when he played. Absolutely zero chance the offense would ever break through when he played. I'd rather have White, who at least has the ability to have a really big day instead of the bus driver Rush who was bad at keeping drives alive.

This is the same at telling us how good a pitcher is because of his W-L record while having a high ERA but his offense bails him out.

Defense was the MVP of the season while Dak was out.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Everyone seems to forget that White threw 8 interceptions last year in 4 games, that’s almost 32 interceptions in one season! No thank you, I’ll take the more steady Cooper Rush. I’d rather have the guy who doesn’t turn the ball over 4 straight games instead of the guy who wins my fantasy football league.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Everyone seems to forget that White threw 8 interceptions last year in 4 games, that’s almost 32 interceptions in one season! No thank you, I’ll take the more steady Cooper Rush. I’d rather have the guy who doesn’t turn the ball over 4 straight games instead of the guy who wins my fantasy football league.

But he had one really GOOD game so that negates the other three clunkers. Repeat that for a full season and you got yourself a 4-13 season! Punch yer ticket fer the Super Bowl!

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
He's two years removed from Dallas, and developed. This was one game, and while he looked really good with no real pressure against a so-so defense, it's still just one game. I wish him luck, but he was the very definition of inconsistent when he was here, and that's not what you want in a backup QB.

He was inconsistent but so was any QB that we had then including Rush. We drafted him in the 5th round and we should have at least given him a year to see what we had. I guess Garrett and Co. wanted a red-headed noodle arm QB backup because it reminded him so much like him.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Mike White was a very late bloomer. It's a curse to QBs who spend too much time on the bench and develop slowly. It happens. :huh:

I think it'll be interesting to see his games to come to allow determination of what he can do to with more experience to serve his cause.

Last edited: