Please somebody hire Mr. "Yards are Yards" Kellen Moore

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Kellen Moore has the #1 offense in the NFL how can he be the problem? Stats say he's a great OC. Jerry is a great evaluator of talent, and if he handpicked KM the offense is in good hands. ;)

I hate you.. :angry:

Brax

Reaction score
And put us out of this misery. It should be very instructional to the Cowboys brain trust that this team had the #1 scoring offense and the #1 offense in yards and yet nobody is interested in hiring the architect of that greatness. They were also #1 in yards and #6 in scoring in 2019, his first season. And I believe they were #1 in both categories in 2020 before Dak got hurt. Up until this year we blamed the defense for not reaching the mountain top with all this great offense going on.. But what we learned this year, and really should have known all along, is that this offense pads its numbers against patsies and mostly fall flat when facing the big boys. Good DCs can handle this offense and it becomes a matter of the guys being super human for it to succeed. Obviously that's no way to make a living.

These aint the 90's Cowboys.. Those guys could go super human even against good teams.. hell against other GREAT teams.. and make no mistake.. those 90's Packers, 49ers and Bills were great teams.. The Cowboys were just greater. But those guys don't play for this team. These guys need help .. in the form of the OC.. and the bottom line is I don't think Mr. Yards are Yards is the answer. He doesn't want to run the ball.. he doesn't want to feature one receiver or focus on favorable matchups. He wants to "take what the defense gives us.." Which works when the defense sucks.. but good defenses give you crap.. And you can have all the crap you want.. cause you aint winnin no games with it.
Here in may be the root cause.
Total Packers Reveals Coach McCarthy’s Playbook | Total Packers

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Moore better figure something out quickly if he is still here as the OC. The upcoming season has them playing some teams that Moore has problems with.
I do like that Mr. "Yards are Yards". lol
“yards are Yards” only works if they are coming up constantly and converted into points. You go up and down but dont score , then no use.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

The Cowboys have not adopted McCarthy's playbook to any degree. They are still using the Garrett/Linehan playbook.. in deference to making life easier for Dak. But if you make things too easy for your QB you make it easy for defenses too. Some people claim Dak doesn't have it upstairs to take that next step. I don't buy that.. the dude got his masters in psyche while playing NFL football.. He's plenty smart enough.. And you only have to look at how the offense runs when in no-huddle for a glimpse of what it looks like when HE is calling the plays. I just think he needs some distance between himself and Moore. Dak doesn't think Moore can do any wrong in terms of play calling and Moore doesn't think there is any play Dak can't execute to perfection against any defense. They're both wrong.

Reactions: CWR

Brax

Reaction score
The Cowboys have not adopted McCarthy's playbook to any degree. They are still using the Garrett/Linehan playbook.. in deference to making life easier for Dak. But if you make things too easy for your QB you make it easy for defenses too. Some people claim Dak doesn't have it upstairs to take that next step. I don't buy that.. the dude got his masters in psyche while playing NFL football.. He's plenty smart enough.. And you only have to look at how the offense runs when in no-huddle for a glimpse of what it looks like when HE is calling the plays. I just think he needs some distance between himself and Moore. Dak doesn't think Moore can do any wrong in terms of play calling and Moore doesn't think there is any play Dak can't execute to perfection against any defense. They're both wrong.
Cowboys have not adopted McCarthy's playbook to any degree.
You know this how? You are at team meeting and give input LOL.
They are still using the Garrett/Linehan playbook.
Again you are reviewing the play book and at the meetings with KM and MM.

got his masters in psyche while playing NFL football.
Wrong, got before drafted.
He's plenty smart enough
So by your logic Paul Allen, and people like him be great at running a offense..
We saw his football masters degree at work on that last blotched play.
How about links for all your claims, bet we don't see any.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Cowboys have not adopted McCarthy's playbook to any degree.
You know this how? You are at team meeting and give input LOL.
They are still using the Garrett/Linehan playbook.
Again you are reviewing the play book and at the meetings with KM and MM.

got his masters in psyche while playing NFL football.
Wrong, got before drafted.
He's plenty smart enough
So by your logic Paul Allen, and people like him be great at running a offense..
We saw his football masters degree at work on that last blotched play.
How about links for all your claims, bet we don't see any.

I know the Cowboys are using the Garrett/Linehan playbook and not McCarthy's because 1) I didn't start watching the Cowboys last year and 2) McCarthy himself stated he wasn't changing the offense when he came to Dallas because he liked what Kellen Moore was doing and he didn't want to screw with Dak's development. Are you saying he was lying?

But you are right about when he got his master's.. I forgot he finished TWO of them while he was at MSU. And has been working towards his doctorate while in the pros. But we both know there is a difference between book smarts and football IQ. And I don't know if Paul Allen would be good at running an offense.. I never saw him play.. Did you? Now I'm guessing that if given a few years to study NFL defenses and one offensive scheme could come up with a pretty good plan of attack against any of them .. but he wouldn't be able to execute any of them.

I do know that football is more complicated than a game of checkers.. but it aint rocket surgery. So reasonably intelligent people can memorize the plays.. and know which ones work against which defenses. Then those same intelligent people can study film and determine what different defenses look like live and where the ball needs to go against them. The question of course is whether the intelligent person who knows all this can recognize the defenses when he sees them and possesses the physical tools to execute the play that is designed to exploit them. Oh and he needs his teammates to have seen the exact same things and be on the same page, and block the right guys and run the right routes. The physical tools part is where Paul Allen would probably have a problem.. In the computer business we call it great software, bad hardware. He aint built to play NFL QB.. Even if he might have a supercomputer for a brain. Dak IS built to play NFL QB and for the most part has shown that he has a decent football IQ.. Is it up there with Tom Brady or someone like that? Probably not.. But let's check back after HE's been in the league 10 years..

Links? You really needs links to McCarthy's opening press conference where he talks about not wanting to change the offense and looking forward to working with Moore? Or you just want to have the satisfaction of making me dig out a link to a two year old video? Hint: That's never gonna happen.

Reactions: CWR

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Moore has some great ideas but he struggles to get his players to execute the complex ones without a lot of mistakes.

I can remember Payton struggling in a similar fashion and Parcells reigning him in publicly. Parcells was more than happy to share what he was doing in his pressers but I think McCarthy did the same thing this year.

Moore is at a bit of a crossroads but he is hardly the first to take time to put it all together.

Brax

Reaction score
I know the Cowboys are using the Garrett/Linehan playbook and not McCarthy's because 1) I didn't start watching the Cowboys last year and 2) McCarthy himself stated he wasn't changing the offense when he came to Dallas because he liked what Kellen Moore was doing and he didn't want to screw with Dak's development. Are you saying he was lying?

But you are right about when he got his master's.. I forgot he finished TWO of them while he was at MSU. And has been working towards his doctorate while in the pros. But we both know there is a difference between book smarts and football IQ. And I don't know if Paul Allen would be good at running an offense.. I never saw him play.. Did you? Now I'm guessing that if given a few years to study NFL defenses and one offensive scheme could come up with a pretty good plan of attack against any of them .. but he wouldn't be able to execute any of them.

I do know that football is more complicated than a game of checkers.. but it aint rocket surgery. So reasonably intelligent people can memorize the plays.. and know which ones work against which defenses. Then those same intelligent people can study film and determine what different defenses look like live and where the ball needs to go against them. The question of course is whether the intelligent person who knows all this can recognize the defenses when he sees them and possesses the physical tools to execute the play that is designed to exploit them. Oh and he needs his teammates to have seen the exact same things and be on the same page, and block the right guys and run the right routes. The physical tools part is where Paul Allen would probably have a problem.. In the computer business we call it great software, bad hardware. He aint built to play NFL QB.. Even if he might have a supercomputer for a brain. Dak IS built to play NFL QB and for the most part has shown that he has a decent football IQ.. Is it up there with Tom Brady or someone like that? Probably not.. But let's check back after HE's been in the league 10 years..

Links? You really needs links to McCarthy's opening press conference where he talks about not wanting to change the offense and looking forward to working with Moore? Or you just want to have the satisfaction of making me dig out a link to a two year old video? Hint: That's never gonna happen.
No not looking for you to do it as I said I bet you wouldn't, as I also recall he also said he would be working with Moore and also learning the system.Also from a SI piece Aug 2020
Said Moore: "It’s been a fun process to go through, me being a younger guy, having an opportunity to learn from Mike and kind of build a 2020 Dallas Cowboys offense. Pull pieces from things we’ve done in the past, pull pieces from things he’s done in GB and pull stuff from all the rest of our coaching staff.'
I hope it's not going take 10 years in the NFL for it to click, and that seems to be a problem, no knock against Dak some QB's need a lot more than others and so far with some really good players around him he's seems to find a way to fail. He's in Dallas probably another 6 years or so as Stevie keeps pushing the $$$ out and unless a miracle happens, I don't think Dak is the answer because it has been shown to this point, he doesn't seem to have it between the ears.
So the gist of your Dak argument is the coaching sucks which I don't disagree with you, but I don't blame KM I point the finger at MM and his low football IQ.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
and the bottom line is I don't think Mr. Yards are Yards is the answer. He doesn't want to run the ball.. he doesn't want to feature one receiver or focus on favorable matchups. He wants to "take what the defense gives us.."

"Yards are Yards" was the first true clueless dogmatic blunder I heard out of Moore. Every football fan knows that isn't true. That running grinds down a defense more than passing. That it's safer.
Maybe he knows that too, and "yards are yards" was just a rationalization for a point he was trying to make once. I haven't heard him repeat it. But even if it was a one time rationalization that he knows isn't true, a guy who is going to rationalize his failures is not the guy you want.

Doesn't seem like he focuses on matchups either.

It's not surprising. He is a scheme guy. When your best tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. And it's not like he was gonna learn to focus on matchups under Garrett.

These are the kind of things he should have been learning from McCarthy. But I heard word that McCarthy kept his hands off the offense. Don't like that either. If he isn't helping out his OC, I don't know what he's bringing to the team. Donuts in the morning?