Poll: Who should replace Jason Garrett as the next Head Coach?

Who should replace Jason Garrett as the Head Coach.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Western

Reaction score
Make a splash.
Jerry "woos" Urban Meyer to the most visible head coach position in team sports.
As a head coach, Meyer has won at every level of coaching -- now is the time to take that same winning approach to the NFL.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
He's a 5x superbowl champ.

I'll cut him some slack over 2 awful season...#becausecutler
Fair enough. But he's had Brady. I'd give him a shot, just because it would mean a changing of the guard, finally.

But he is nowhere close to my top two desirables (Patricia and Jimbo)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
by the same token we could say belichick is garbage because he failed in cleveland and new york.
He didn't fail in either place. Are you serious? He won 2 SBs in NY as DC.

He took a 1 win CLE team and won them their last playoff game, with the best coaching staff assembled of all-time. CLE's last PO win was with BB at the helm.

This narrative that he "did bad" in CLE is so ridiculous and rampant on this board. Migosh. Most of the time I bite my tongue, but you replied to me. The only reason his gig there fell through was because the team was moved to BAL under his nose, and the team and coaching staff were deflated.

Stop it.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Stanford’s HC, Brian Shaw!

I like Shaw for a few reasons. 1) he's from the Harbaugh Coaching Tree, 2) his offense is a PRO OFFENSE, and 3) seems to get the most out of his players. Stanford doesn't always have the Top athletes in the country because of their legendary entrance requirements, but his teams are tough, smart, blue collar, physical guys.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Stanford's coach is David Shaw, and I'd much prefer him over the booger-eating hothead in Ann Arbor.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Coaches I like as upgrades would be Arians or Harbaugh who both might become available.

I agree with @Trouty that McDaniels is a retread I want no part of.

Patricia I don't have a lot of confidence in but he is the best of the rest. He has a lot of diverse experience but so have a lot of other Belichick scions and their history is one of NFL failure.

College coaches where recruiting is key to success but has no bearing on NFL success do nothing for me.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
No one should replace Garrett, and no one will replace Garrett stop with this foolishness!!!!!
crazy-sketch.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shaw and Meyer are two choices I am glad others have already mentioned and would endorse as possible replacements.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Coaches I like as upgrades would be Arians or Harbaugh who both might become available.

I agree with @Trouty that McDaniels is a retread I want no part of.

Patricia I don't have a lot of confidence in but he is the best of the rest. He has a lot of diverse experience but so have a lot of other Belichick scions and their history is one of NFL failure.

College coaches where recruiting is key to success but has no bearing on NFL success do nothing for me.
Patricia has really jumped out in my eyes this season, doing the things he's doing with that depleted D (albeit, under the nose and tutelage of BB), Fuzzy. They started off horrendous on D, and Patricia has turned that ship around spectacularly.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
With what you listed, OP -- Patricia (would be nice to have a squared away, D-oriented coach in here to produce a balanced team) or Harbaugh.

Josh McDaniels is not HC material, imo.

A lot of people said thing about Mike Shanahan after he flopped with Oakland.

Denver gave him more responsibility than he was ready for. Being a first time coach and GM is big jump from coordinator.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
A lot of people said thing about Mike Shanahan after he flopped with Oakland.

Denver gave him more responsibility than he was ready for. Being a first time coach and GM is big jump from coordinator.
Maybe. As I said, I'd take him over JG just to change things up. But if I'm picking between McDaniels and Patricia, it's a no-brainer for me. It's high-time we get a legit D-oriented coach in here. We need balance. It's been seven years.

We already have the offense pieces in place (for the most part), so he won't have to revamp both sides of the ball.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Maybe. As I said, I'd take him over JG just to change things up. But if I'm picking between McDaniels and Patricia, it's a no-brainer for me. It's high-time we get a legit D-oriented coach in here. We need balance. It's been seven years.

Hard to have balance on that side of the ball when you spend 75% of the CAP on offense.

My only concern with bringing in a defensive coach is Dak's progression. They need the right people on offense to groom him.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Hard to have balance on that side of the ball when you spend 75% of the CAP on offense.

My only concern with bringing in a defensive coach is Dak's progression. They need the right people on offense to groom him.
Oh, yes, no doubt, Dooms. Patricia bringing in the right OC would be monumental, especially due to him being a D Coord/D-centric.

Jimbo would be my number one choice.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Patricia has really jumped out in my eyes this season, doing the things he's doing with that depleted D (albeit, under the nose and tutelage of BB), Fuzzy. They started off horrendous on D, and Patricia has turned that ship around spectacularly.

BB is rightfully respected as the best defensive mind of his era. Hearing him talk about how they demand smart players that can allow him to change gap/coverage responsibilities on the fly has me just short of in awe of him.

I don't know how good Patricia is because of that. BB has a long track record of making his coordinators overperform. That is not necessarily the case here but it could be.

Patricia could be better than what we have and he could be worse. Its a crap shoot.

OTOH, I have seen Harbaugh and Arians develop programs that outperform the talent on their rosters. After seeing what Harbaugh did with Kaep, Gore and a talented OL I like his fit with our offensive talent. Arians has revitalized the moribund AZ franchise with smoke, mirrors, and retreads.

I like them much much better.