Pollard vs McCaffery

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And his first game was off the street and not knowing anything....they played him some but it was a bit of a cluster. So that too would dilute his per-game value.

Anyway, I appreciate your work.

Here's to hoping on Sunday, Pollard > CMC

:flagwave:
I appreciate the good discussion. I just found it real interesting our guy is at least in CMC's ballpark.

Let's win this thing Sunday. If Pollard can be > CMC, I like our chances.

:grin:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Pollard is faster, a little more elusive, and just as powerful. They both are tough backs, especially for their size. Pollard catches just as well, but does not get as many opportunities as McCaffrey. McCaffrey can handle a little bit more of a workload.

Pollard is every bit as good as McCaffrey!
Just curious
Where do you get that Pollard is faster?
Eye test?
It's not by 40 time, I know that

That's fine though

As far as elusive....that too is an opinion. I would say he is not more elusive. McCaffery has the quickest feet I've ever seen other than Barry Sanders. But again, you are entitled your take on this.

Pollard is very good though. We're lucky to have him. And he has less miles

Go Cowboys

Kellsbells

Reaction score
It doesn't usually work that way.
100 touches is a LOT of touches and may include a ton of short yardage work--which increases wear and tear and always decreases yards per touch

Felix Jones would be in the hall of fame....lol
100 is a lot of touches. But their stats are not that far off with far fewer touches. 352 touches over a 17 game season is 20.7 touches a game. TP only played 16, so that would mean 22 touches a game. He had 248 touches over 16 games, which is 15.5 touches a game. Are you saying he couldn't handle 5 more touches a game? Would that completely wear him down? If so, he's not worth franchising, or the millions he'll get from someone after this year.

cnuball21

Reaction score
TP is having a great year, but don’t think it’s fair to put him in the same discussion as CMac as he’s been doing it for a long time now when healthy.

He also has been doing it in terrible teams prior.

DFWJC

Reaction score
100 is a lot of touches. But their stats are not that far off with far fewer touches. 352 touches over a 17 game season is 20.7 touches a game. TP only played 16, so that would mean 22 touches a game. He had 248 touches over 16 games, which is 15.5 touches a game. Are you saying he couldn't handle 5 more touches a game? Would that completely wear him down? If so, he's not worth franchising, or the millions he'll get from someone after this year.
I'm not saying that.
I'm saying if he got bell-cow touches his yards per carry and yards per catch would normally go down some.

And maybe, though we don't know, he may wear down quicker....especially after several years of that

Kellsbells

Reaction score
I'm not saying that.
I'm saying if he got bell-cow touches his yards per carry and yards per catch would normally go down some.

And maybe, though we don't know, he may wear down quicker....especially after several years of that
True, and we'll never know the answer. That's why comparing players is so subjective. Best we can do is extrapolate what they might do in a similar situation based on their otherwise incomparable situation. And why there are so many varied opinions.

vlad

Reaction score
Bruh, you didn’t factor in that Pollard has the unprecedented benefit of Zeke softening them up. If cmc had that he’d have 6000 yards

@CowboyRoy knows what i mean

Proof

Reaction score
Those numbers are present in the original post (add rushing + receiving together), and McCaffrey is shown highlighted in green with the edge here.

I think the most compelling argument to be made is that on a per-touch basis, even with pretty high volume, Pollard appears to be the better asset even with what many would say is the weaker supporting cast. I just don't think the difference between the two is as vast as many would make it seem.

good post. think the overlooked point is the huge disparity between cmc's production with the panthers this year, and with the niners. i'd have to look again, but I think his numbers JUST since joining the niners is comparable to pollards entire season.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
good post. think the overlooked point is the huge disparity between cmc's production with the panthers this year, and with the niners. i'd have to look again, but I think his numbers JUST since joining the niners is comparable to pollards entire season.
On a per touch basis CMC's yards per carry increased by only 0.1 ypc since joining SF, but his per reception numbers are up 0.5 ypr. Even with those increases in per touch efficiency, Pollard still outpaces him in both categories with what most would consider worse blocking and worse offensive scheme.

Really he has been pretty much the same player, just with more volume particularly in the passing game.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Pollard is good but he is neither fast nor more elusive.
You don’t think Pollard is fast or elusive? LOL

One of the reasons he averages more than any back in the league, per carry, is because he fakes guys out in the hole, which is impossible, if you are not elusive.

On one of his long runs this year he was timed at over 21 mph. Which at the time was top 3 in the league. But he’s not fast!

rags747

Reaction score
Unfortunately Dallas very rarely uses Pollard out on routes, it definitely is not a point of emphasis for our offense.

DanA

Reaction score
I swear Pollard **** the bed on his forty time coming out of college. There’s no way Zeke is or was faster than Pollard and the same with McCaffrey.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You don’t think Pollard is fast or elusive? LOL

One of the reasons he averages more than any back in the league, per carry, is because he fakes guys out in the hole, which is impossible, if you are not elusive.

On one of his long runs this year he was timed at over 21 mph. Which at the time was top 3 in the league. But he’s not fast!
Why would you say I think that?
I never said that or even hinted at it
I know he's fast and elusive

Last edited:

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
I swear Pollard **** the bed on his forty time coming out of college. There’s no way Zeke is or was faster than Pollard and the same with McCaffrey.
Sometimes guys just aren't as fast once they put the pads on, which might be the case here, Pollard is faster in the actual game. But yeah, Pollard was a kick returner in college who took a lot of them to the house, that takes speed.

shabazz

Reaction score
Debate aside, let’s just pray that Pollard is better than CMC on Sunday because if he’s not, we lose for sure.

we are way more dependent on Pollard than they are on CMC because of their depth of weapons