Pollard vs McCaffery

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
True, and we'll never know the answer. That's why comparing players is so subjective. Best we can do is extrapolate what they might do in a similar situation based on their otherwise incomparable situation. And why there are so many varied opinions.
Maybe we could get a better idea by comparing Pollard's numbers to McCaffrey's first 248, but even then, there are so many variables.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
This year there has been quite a bit of (admittedly, well deserved) media hype surrounding Christian McCaffrey since he joined the 49ers and based off of the talk around here he is without a single near-peer in the entire league. In full disclosure, I have not watched a lot of 49ers football this season outside of the wildcard and a few other games here and there (the LA, AZ, and NO games come to mind), so I decided to do some investigation into just how dominant CMC has been this season and compare him to our star tailback. The results may surprise you.

Pollard - 1007 yds rushing/371 yds rec/ 12 TDs on 248 total rushing attempts + receiving tgts
McCaffrey - 1139 yds rushing/ 741 yds rec/ 13 TDs on 352 total rushing attempts + receiving tgts

PFF Grade:
Pollard - 89.5
McCaffrey - 88.9

Yards:
Pollard - 1007 rush, 371 rec
McCaffrey - 1139 rush, 741 rec

Yards Per Carry:
Pollard - 5.2
McCaffrey - 4.7

Yards Per Reception:
Pollard - 9.5
McCaffrey - 8.7

Touchdowns;
Pollard - 12
McCaffrey - 13

These numbers may suggest that perhaps there is a player in the league that can hold a candle to CMC in terms of production. I will admit his ability as a pure receiver is second to none, but as a total player at the RB position, Pollard compares strikingly well.

If you were to extrapolate Pollard's production to reflect the numbers you would expect if he had a workload matching CMC (352 total rushing attempts + receiving tgts), you would get this:

1268 yds rushing - 723 yds receiving - 17 total TDs

Pollard would outclass or nearly match CMC in every statistical category with what most of us would consider to be an inferior supporting cast on the offensive line and at play caller.

I'm not here to say one is definitively better than the other, they are probably the two best running backs in the NFL and both have different standout traits, but to say that CMC has no match is ridiculous. The match resides right here in Dallas.
You are the definition of FANATIC. Give me CMac with a star on his helmet with Elliott and you blow out SanFran.

Also, check out the rushers on the 1971 and 1972 Cowboys teams. It takes 2 to tango these days in the NFL. Jacobs was the exception and he did not make the Playoffs. Cowboys have Elliott and Pollard. SanFran has CMac and Mitchell.

Kellsbells

Reaction score
Maybe we could get a better idea by comparing Pollard's numbers to McCaffrey's first 248, but even then, there are so many variables.
OK, I just did a little game by game analysis.
First, I started at the beginning of the year. But since he started the year in Carolina, I figured some people might say those don't count because they didn't use him the same. So here's what I got:

From the beginning of the year through the 12/4 game (12 total games, 6 with Carolina, 6 with SF):
243 total touches - 160 rushes, 83 pass targets (as close as I could get to TP's 248 total)
700 rushing yards
559 receiving yards

McCaffrey's 11 games as a 49er:
193 total touches - 128 rushes, 65 pass targets
637 rushing yards
464 receiving yards

TP - 1007 yds rushing/371 yds rec/ 12 TDs on 248 total rushing attempts + receiving tgts

So, no matter how you slice it, McCaffrey has better receiving stats, but I don't necessarily think that makes him a bigger threat, he's just used differently.

Golota

Reaction score
OK, I just did a little game by game analysis.
First, I started at the beginning of the year. But since he started the year in Carolina, I figured some people might say those don't count because they didn't use him the same. So here's what I got:

From the beginning of the year through the 12/4 game (12 total games, 6 with Carolina, 6 with SF):
243 total touches - 160 rushes, 83 pass targets (as close as I could get to TP's 248 total)
700 rushing yards
559 receiving yards

McCaffrey's 11 games as a 49er:
193 total touches - 128 rushes, 65 pass targets
637 rushing yards
464 receiving yards

TP - 1007 yds rushing/371 yds rec/ 12 TDs on 248 total rushing attempts + receiving tgts

So, no matter how you slice it, McCaffrey has better receiving stats, but I don't necessarily think that makes him a bigger threat, he's just used differently.
Mccaffrey is the biggest reason for the niners 11 game win streak. The streak started w before Purdy started .

Kellsbells

Reaction score
Mccaffrey is the biggest reason for the niners 11 game win streak. The streak started w before Purdy started .
Just because he was a missing piece and made them a more complete team than they were, doesn’t make him better.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think it’s ironic of the now we see comparisons to Pollard vs McCaffrey, . .as opposed to the once Pollard vs Alvin Kamara some while back.

Especially when Kamara was coming off the bench behind Mark Ingram -at that time Kamara was the epitome of a splash, all purpose impact player- as both a runner and receiver.

Only nowadays, Kamara doesn’t seem to make near as many explosive splash now vs that time period,

Is he being asked to take on a bigger role and toll in Saints land – despite being paired with Ingram again ?
.. or without Brees, its' much more easier to target and corral and detain him ?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
This year there has been quite a bit of (admittedly, well deserved) media hype surrounding Christian McCaffrey since he joined the 49ers and based off of the talk around here he is without a single near-peer in the entire league. In full disclosure, I have not watched a lot of 49ers football this season outside of the wildcard and a few other games here and there (the LA, AZ, and NO games come to mind), so I decided to do some investigation into just how dominant CMC has been this season and compare him to our star tailback. The results may surprise you.

Pollard - 1007 yds rushing/371 yds rec/ 12 TDs on 248 total rushing attempts + receiving tgts
McCaffrey - 1139 yds rushing/ 741 yds rec/ 13 TDs on 352 total rushing attempts + receiving tgts

PFF Grade:
Pollard - 89.5
McCaffrey - 88.9

Yards:
Pollard - 1007 rush, 371 rec
McCaffrey - 1139 rush, 741 rec

Yards Per Carry:
Pollard - 5.2
McCaffrey - 4.7

Yards Per Reception:
Pollard - 9.5
McCaffrey - 8.7

Touchdowns;
Pollard - 12
McCaffrey - 13

These numbers may suggest that perhaps there is a player in the league that can hold a candle to CMC in terms of production. I will admit his ability as a pure receiver is second to none, but as a total player at the RB position, Pollard compares strikingly well.

If you were to extrapolate Pollard's production to reflect the numbers you would expect if he had a workload matching CMC (352 total rushing attempts + receiving tgts), you would get this:

1268 yds rushing - 723 yds receiving - 17 total TDs

Pollard would outclass or nearly match CMC in every statistical category with what most of us would consider to be an inferior supporting cast on the offensive line and at play caller.

I'm not here to say one is definitively better than the other, they are probably the two best running backs in the NFL and both have different standout traits, but to say that CMC has no match is ridiculous. The match resides right here in Dallas.
I agree.

Yet he's still splitting carries 50/50 with "No Screen Zeke"

It's clear who dictates that btw. Not too many great coaches would limit the better players like that

But if we're paying them we're playing them and going all in on popularity instead of pure overall talent

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like Pollard but he really can't handle more than 15 runs a game along with the catches and blocking he does. He relies on another back like zeke or whomever so he can come out, catch his breath, kinda re-fuel and go.

plasticman

Reaction score
What I find interesting is the fact that McCafferty's rushing average in SF is virtually the same as it was for Carolina. Prior to being traded to the 49ers, he averaged 4.62 yards a carry with the Panthers. With the 49ers, he averaged 4.69 yards a carry.

Considering how the 49ers love to run the ball you would have thought their O-line would afford much better results. Statistically speaking, it seems like they are a non-factor in McCafferty's productivity given the equal results.