Poor Raiders...

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Sounds very much like the Barry Switzer/Chan Gailey years where Troy Aikman and the rest of the veterans would go running to Daddy when they didn't like something.

Yep.

I think Jerry really liked that role, too.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Chief said:
Yep.

I think Jerry really liked that role, too.

Not positive, but let's just say he never did anything to discourage it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
poke said:
wow i never thought i would write anything that was even close to
sounding like an Al Davis fan.........but after reading some of these posts
i have to wonder if very many people know what Al D. has done in pro
football.

1. assistant coach for Chargers and Rams
2. head coach and general manager for Oakland
3. Commisioner of AFL
4. Principal owner and CEO of Oakland
5. Inducted into HOF 1992
6. Chosen by 8 former players to present them at their HOF inductions

having said all that I am still not a big fan of his. But you gotta give the
man the respect he is due. how he runs his team is up to him.
I have always liked the way he "tweaks" the NFL execs noses any time he
gets a chance.
Okay ..history lesson is over. resume Raider bashing, they deserve it !!

Davis was a big part of the AFL and while I disagree with him on certain issues like moving his team from Oak to LA then back to Oak as well as his suite aginst the NFL over the very subject I do reconize the man knows football from a coaching stand point as well as a GM. All in all his franchise has known a lot of success in it's history. I guess I never had the overall hatred of the Raiders in large part because during the 70's they were big rivals of the steelers and I tended to pull for the Raiders in those games.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Sounds very much like the Barry Switzer/Chan Gailey years where Troy Aikman and the rest of the veterans would go running to Daddy when they didn't like something.

Well, actually, Apparently Aikman never did that. But it did start with Deion Sanders. Apparently he was the first one to do that and other followed that suit.

Troy gets blamed for many things he never did, just because of the perception. Like many still believing he had Cowboys Draft David Lafluer, when he never recommend him other than, working him out, just like he apparently did with Gonzalez. And although he never publicly critized or said anything to Jerry about Gailey ( it was mostly Irvin and Emmit who did that, heck Irvin sometimes took pot shots at him even during his initial ESPN days :D)., he is still blamed about getting Gailey fired.

Please, lets not even get Barry Switzer into that same category as Gailey. Switzer was/is Jerry is personal buddy. Aikman or anyone will never influence Jerry to fire him. Barry is entirely Jerry Jones doing.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Being a head coach in the NFL is a lifelong dream for anyone related to football, and like Al Davis or not, right now there is only 1 job opening. This is a good thing because the last thing we should be hoping for is another recycled coach from the coaching heap.

Hopefully Al reaches a bit and picks an unknown coach from the college ranks, giving someone a shot who would not have otherwise gotten a chance. More than a few quality coaches were previously unknowns.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
Whisenhunt, Petrino not interested in Raiders vacancy

By JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer
February 9, 2006

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- Super Bowl winning offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and Louisville coach Bobby Petrino have pulled out of consideration for the Oakland Raiders coaching vacancy.

Whisenhunt came to the Bay Area to interview Wednesday with owner Al Davis and team officials, a day after celebrating the Steelers' Super Bowl win with a parade in Pittsburgh.

He told the Raiders on Thursday that he had decided to stay in Pittsburgh for another season, making him one of the top coaching candidates for after next season. Oakland is the only team currently with a head coach opening.

"After coming out here and taking a look, he decided to stay with the Steelers," Eric Metz, Whisenhunt's agent, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"We came out here, had an enjoyable visit, met with Mr. Davis, and Ken likes and respects him."

The Raiders also talked with Petrino, who had previously said he had no interest in the NFL. Louisville assistant sports information director Rocco Gasparro said Petrino will stay at the school.

Oakland has been without a coach since Norv Turner was fired Jan. 3, giving a new coach little time to put together a staff and set his offseason priorities before the scouting combine begins Feb. 22.

Davis has already interviewed Al Saunders, James Lofton and Rod Marinelli, and had talks with former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz, former Raiders coach Art Shell and Oakland quarterbacks coach John Shoop.

Saunders decided to take a job running the Washington Commanders' offense, Marinelli was hired as Detroit Lions coach, and Martz will be the Lions' offensive coordinator next season.

It is unclear what direction the Raiders will go in now. They could turn back to Shell, who had a 54-38 record with the Raiders and led the team to the AFC championship game following the 1990 season. Shell was fired after going 9-7 in 1994, a move Davis has said he regretted.

Shell, currently the senior vice president of football operations and development for the NFL, had a winning record in four of his five complete seasons. The Raiders have had only three winning seasons since his firing and are just 13-35 the past three seasons.

The Raiders could also try to interview Baltimore offensive coordinator Jim Fassel, who led the Giants to the Super Bowl following the 2000 season with Raiders quarterback Kerry Collins at the helm.

Has an NFL team ever fired and then rehired a head coach? Would really make Al Davis look like an ***. Part of me thinks he won't be man enough to admit he made a mistake and take back Shell. I'd be shocked if he did.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Marcus Allen?

Lance Alworth, Jim Otto, George Blanda, Willie Brown, Gene Upshaw, Fred Biletnikoff, Art Shell and Ted Hendricks.