TRADED Porter traded to Cowboys (2027/6th round, 2028/2nd round)

This is an excellent trade! So much ignorant whining.

Joey Porter Jr, a great press man CB who hasn’t given up a TD in the regular season in almost 3 years, a solid zone player, for this year’s 6th rounder and a second rounder two years from now. This is called trying to get better and win now while you have an offense, something most of you have pretended to want.

I’m not saying he is as good as Philly’s Mitchell, but he will be our Mitchell, the guy who plays man on one side of the field while you play more zone on the other side with safeties back or one in the box. He is immediately our #1 CB, and we didn’t sacrifice depth by having to trade Revell, who is now #3 with room and time to grow.

Does this make our run defense better or improve our pass rush? No, but you trade for the guys who are available who improve your team. And who says we aren’t still looking at LB possibilities. And don’t tell me about a bad back. He was holding in in Pittsburg. There’s nothing wrong with his back.

Sidenote, it won’t happen now because there’s no time to learn, but I personally wouldn’t mind taking a look at Revell at deep safety at some point.
 
Anyone complaining about the compensation doesn’t understand football. Draft picks are scratch-off tickets that hit less than 50% in the first round with following rounds hitting at a lower %. Porter is a known commodity that fills a major need. Very good trade for Dallas.
 
I think Porter’s back injury is fictitious. Lol. The question is whether or not Porter is willing to play for the Cowboys on his current deal.
Usually the framework for an extension is in place before the trade happens.
 
Late to the party and all I read was teh first page so I imagine how this went, but this is a really good move for us and it's a long term move as well. Our CBs were not good, heck let's be honest, they were bad and we 100% would have needed to draft or sign one any way. Have people watched our corners the last number of years? We were using a prime pick on a corner anyway. We didn't trade a first at all (which I would have been against) and didn't trade anything of value next year. It's a 2028 2nd which hopefully will be a latish pick (but fairly of course, who knows).

Cap space. We have it and for Pickens too. I'm not getting a cap argument because tons of people on here think we can't sign anyone and just don't understand it. Also we can trade or cut Bland next year which is basically a wash from a cap perspective if pre-6/1 and then he is off our books entirely in 2028 or if post 6/1 the rollover savings covers his dead money. Point being going forward we save his cap space at that point and Porter big cap hits won't start for a year or 2 any way. Or we could do this in 2028 instead of 2027 and it only costs us another $12M (his 2027 salary) which is what I would do if we can't find a #2 CB.

Lastly he is young and here for years. We are not a Super Bowl team THIS YEAR. We did just IMO become the favorites in our horrible division this year. Do with that what you may. Do you care if we make the playoffs, I do, but you may not care knowing we aren't winning a SB.2027 has always been my target going into 2025 and this helps us for that. Will we be a SB contender in 2027? I don't know but we will have the current team with Porter and another #1 and #2 pick and if we can add an OT and a pass rusher...maybe...

My problem is he isn't an elite cover guy like Gonzalez who just reset the market, so I hope we don't pay him that much. He is a really good cover guy (and especially compared to what we have), but not elite and he isn't a good tackler. We have that every man must help out in the run game mentality and that's just not his thing.

Just my two cents. YMMV

Go Cowboys :starspin:
 
It's a good trade and hes our best cb. Would you rather them do nothing
You trade for who is available who makes your defense better. JPJ hasn’t given up a TD in almost 3 years. In CP’s scheme, he becomes our Mitchell, a guy who plays man on one side of the field while we zone up the other side.
 
Doesn’t help the core problems of this D at all. I get the injuries in the secondary are brutal at the moment, but this is like putting a band-aid on a compound fracture. We can’t rush the passer or stop the run, CB improvement is going to have a minimal impact.
 
The guys who are just here to complain every post are out early I see.
they'll feel better when that 2027 pick is #64 haha

One guy won't fix the defense, but it might help the Dline a little hopefully.

Giving the DLine an extra second or two could help some
 
I think Porter’s back injury is fictitious. Lol. The question is whether or not Porter is willing to play for the Cowboys on his current deal.
So he’s been out for 3 weeks due to his lying or is the medical staff in on his false injuries as well?
 
Expensive band-aid on a gash wound, good player but with so many weaknesses not sure how much this moves the needle, compensation isn’t terrible so worth the risk
 
I'm in the minority, but I like the move.

We needed a good CB. And I'd rather have a good CB now than a mystery box 2nd rounder 2 years from now.

Only frustration is the refusal to go out and get free agents. We never get top end talent the easiest way: signing them without giving up draft capital.

Still need a pass rusher. But this was a big position of need.
The problem is we have to pay this dude and he wants big money.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,013
Messages
14,657,059
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top