Portis looking very good against Pitt...

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
#1 Defense last year getting torn up by Portis...

On the bright side, Ramsey isn't looking too good, though he did hook up with Moss for a nice gain.

I hope our defense is ready this year. We are going up against a lot of good and great running backs. LT, Portis twice, Barber twice, Holmes, Alexander, Kevin Jones...

We better be ready.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I got a little worried, but then I thought one thing: It's the Commanders

I'm not worried anymore :)

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I got a little worried, but then I thought one thing: It's the Commanders

I'm not worried anymore :)

Yea...

If Ramsey can get his act together it won't matter how good Portis is.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
yep, just stack against the run and dare Pansey to beat us *thumbs up*

plus it's Cowboys vs. Commanders, NO WORRIES!

devman90

The Master of Disaster
Reaction score
dragon_mikal said:

actually it was the #1 scoring defense, the title of number 1 overall defense belongs to Buffalo

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Patrick Ramsey is the worst starting QB in football, in fact he wouldnt even be #2 on about 10 teams in the NFL. Worse than Boller, hell he isnt even the best QB on his own team....

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
devman90 said:
actually it was the #1 scoring defense, the title of number 1 overall defense belongs to Buffalo

#1 in points allowed, #1 in total yardage...

I think Pitt was #1.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

It's #1 on NFL.com. I'm not trying to be stubborn, but Troy said Pitt had the #1 Defense last year, and NFL.com says they had the #1 defense last year.

If you allow the fewest points in the NFL as well as the fewest yards...

Eh...I think that makes you the #1 defense.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
he's saying he puts more stock into Pitt having the #1 scoring D instead of having just the #1 overall D (Buffalo)

jem88

Reaction score
dragon_mikal said:
The thing is, Portis is very good (much as we might try to convince ourselves otherwise.)

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
jem88 said:
The thing is, Portis is very good (much as we might try to convince ourselves otherwise.)

I would have agreed with you this time last year, but not now. He wasn't aweful last year but he wasn't great by any means. We all know he came from Denver where RBs always have great years, but he didn't do the same thing in washington his first year. Now he comes in 20 pounds thicker. Won't that take away from some of his speed and quickness? Is he a speed/slasher back like he was in Denver or a power back? I'll beleive it when I see it.

He did put up good numbers last year, but not the numbers he was putting up in Denver.

ghst187

Reaction score
dragon_mikal said:

On the bright side, Ramsey isn't looking too good, though he did hook up with Moss for a nice gain.

I hope our defense is ready this year. We are going up against a lot of good and great running backs. LT, Portis twice, Barber twice, Holmes, Alexander, Kevin Jones...

We better be ready.

Yeah, Ramsey didn't look so hot. Still looks like like a rookie or 2nd year guy. I think he'll spend a lot of time on his back against us.

As for facing good RB's....this is the NFL, which team could we face that doesn't have a good or great RB? Certainly no team that is any good.

Sifillest

Reaction score
much as i hate teh skins, portis is their one bright side....i mena didnt he have like 1300 yards rushing last year?hell on the Commanders thats as good as gold....i would never front on this guy, and as far as him putting on weight being a bad thing, hell JJ did it and hes looking marvelous so far....so no i dont think itll hurt him....

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
dragon_mikal said:

We better be ready.

The Skins have enough talent among their starters to be quite competitive-- until the injuries hit... this is especially true on the offensive line, once the injury bug bites you'll see the play drop off significantly...

But until then, any time they hold on to the ball they'll be tough to beat... I wouldn't be surprised to have them start out semi-strong (except for week 2, of course), then fade toward the end of the season... bottom line, I still think 8-8 is about their max potential...

On the flip side, I expect the Boys to be hitting on less than all 8 cylinders at the start of the season-- because of the new defensive scheme, because of all the rookies likely to be getting significant playing time, and because of the 3 west coast road games in the first 4 games (what moron came up with THAT schedule??), then get stronger as the season progresses... if the Boys are 2-2 after their first 4 games, I'll start feeling real confident about this season...

Rezz

Mr. Blonde
Reaction score
The thing we need to worry about is the Eagles. As I watched tonites game with them and the Bengals, I was once again reminded how kickass DMac is. YOu can blitz McRunningback and get there and still not take him down. I saw him throw a touchdown pass with a freakin defensive end draped around his midsection. To shrug off how good Philly is going to be, is to not really understand football. They are clearly head and shoulders above anyone in the NFC. It's not even close.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
again, it was a preseason game. I don't know how anybody can read into this.

Ramsey's INT was to where Trash was supposed to be. They talked about that in post-game.

Other than that, he was perfect 5 for 5 on his last drive, and threw the TD.... against the Steeler starting D.

I'm more impressed with our running game of Portis and Betts.....and even Rock. The OL while healthy should be decent (no sacks against the Burgh). And the D held tight with the exception of one big run.

Still, its preseason, and has no more weight than last week did for us (I believe). Its all about individual performance, people fighting for jobs and QB's/WR's working on timing.

I doubt we'll ever throw this much in a reg season game.