CFZ Position groups: Strengths and weaknesses

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After just a couple of weeks into camp, here are what IMO are the strongest and weakest position groups on the 2024 Cowboys. Obviously before the final 53 man roster is settled, Tgere will be cuts and additions. I will list the strongest and weakest position groups, not necessarily in a particular order of strength or weakness.

POSITIONS OF STRENGTH
  • TE: This is a really strong TE group. I expect Jake Ferguson to take another step upward into being one of the best TEs in the league. If Luke Schoonmaker can stay healthy, he has certainly improved. John Stephens, Jr has a ton of talent and upside, and UFA Princeton Fant has shown lots of potential.
  • QB: I know Dak has been a major disappointment in the playoffs, but when the anger and frustration clears, he’s still 73-41 in the regular season and has to be considered a top ten QB. (I’m not here to argue with anyone on this!) Cooper Rush is probably going to remain Dak’s backup and he’s proven to be very trustworthy. Trey Lance? I have very low expectations. We will see.
  • Secondary- the corners, Deron Bland and Trevon Diggs are top shelf and I also think we have some decent depth. Our safeties are not great but better than we had 5 years ago.
  • OL- Zack Martin in my book is still great. Tyler Smith has emerged as a top guard in this league and he’s 24. The additions of Tyler Guyton and Cooper Beebe could be great. Looks like Brock Hoffman has shown flashes to be considered the front runner to be the C and Terrance Steele is fully recovered from his knee injury in 2022.
  • K/P: Brandon Aubrey was almost perfect last year in an All Pro season. Bryan Anger is a consistently reliable punter which is underrated. Very strong unit.
POSITIONS OF WEAKNESS
  • RB: I will get straight to it. This is the worst RB room in the league. And having a running game with absolutely no threat to a defense puts a ton of pressure on the QB and passing game. Not good. We must pick up someone from late cuts or this is going to really hurt our offense.
  • DL: With the loss of Sam Williams, the question marks hanging over Mazi Smith, and DeMarcus Lawrence now 32, it’s hard to see this DL being better than last year. Parsons is obviously a great pass rusher but teams could double him if no one else is a threat. Perhaps Marshawn Kneeland can step into this void and be good but that’s a ton to ask a rookie.
  • LBs: This could become a position of strength as the season progresses. Last year it was a disaster at times, especially in the running game. The addition of Eric Kendricks could really help cement Mike Zimmer’s scheme but he’s 32. Damone Clark will probably be much better as on outside LB than the middle. Maybe DeMarvion Overshown and rookie Marist Liafu could be wild card upgrades. We will see in time.
  • WR: Once Cedee Lamb signs, this will be a position of strength. If this holdout drags into the season, having a Brandin Cooks as your #1 receiver is not great. I like Cooks, but without Lamb as a threat, this WR group is below average.
Obviousy it’s early in preparation for the season. I fully expect to see a RB added and perhaps a DT. We have to hope so because those two positions hurt two areas where we need to get better: Running the ball and being able to stop the run.

What say you? How do you see these position groups?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
After just a couple of weeks into camp, here are what IMO are the strongest and weakest position groups on the 2024 Cowboys. Obviously before the final 53 man roster is settled, Tgere will be cuts and additions. I will list the strongest and weakest position groups, not necessarily in a particular order of strength or weakness.

POSITIONS OF STRENGTH
  • TE: This is a really strong TE group. I expect Jake Ferguson to take another step upward into being one of the best TEs in the league. If Luke Schoonmaker can stay healthy, he has certainly improved. John Stephens, Jr has a ton of talent and upside, and UFA Princeton Fant has shown lots of potential.
  • QB: I know Dak has been a major disappointment in the playoffs, but when the anger and frustration clears, he’s still 73-41 in the regular season and has to be considered a top ten QB. (I’m not here to argue with anyone on this!) Cooper Rush is probably going to remain Dak’s backup and he’s proven to be very trustworthy. Trey Lance? I have very low expectations. We will see.
  • Secondary- the corners, Deron Bland and Trevon Diggs are top shelf and I also think we have some decent depth. Our safeties are not great but better than we had 5 years ago.
  • OL- Zack Martin in my book is still great. Tyler Smith has emerged as a top guard in this league and he’s 24. The additions of Tyler Guyton and Cooper Beebe could be great. Looks like Brock Hoffman has shown flashes to be considered the front runner to be the C and Terrance Steele is fully recovered from his knee injury in 2022.
  • K/P: Brandon Aubrey was almost perfect last year in an All Pro season. Bryan Anger is a consistently reliable punter which is underrated. Very strong unit.
POSITIONS OF WEAKNESS
  • RB: I will get straight to it. This is the worst RB room in the league. And having a running game with absolutely no threat to a defense puts a ton of pressure on the QB and passing game. Not good. We must pick up someone from late cuts or this is going to really hurt our offense.
  • DL: With the loss of Sam Williams, the question marks hanging over Mazi Smith, and DeMarcus Lawrence now 32, it’s hard to see this DL being better than last year. Parsons is obviously a great pass rusher but teams could double him if no one else is a threat. Perhaps Marshawn Kneeland can step into this void and be good but that’s a ton to ask a rookie.
  • LBs: This could become a position of strength as the season progresses. Last year it was a disaster at times, especially in the running game. The addition of Eric Kendricks could really help cement Mike Zimmer’s scheme but he’s 32. Damone Clark will probably be much better as on outside LB than the middle. Maybe DeMarvion Overshown and rookie Marist Liafu could be wild card upgrades. We will see in time.
  • WR: Once Cedee Lamb signs, this will be a position of strength. If this holdout drags into the season, having a Brandin Cooks as your #1 receiver is not great. I like Cooks, but without Lamb as a threat, this WR group is below average.
Obviousy it’s early in preparation for the season. I fully expect to see a RB added and perhaps a DT. We have to hope so because those two positions hurt two areas where we need to get better: Running the ball and being able to stop the run.

What say you? How do you see these position groups?
Wait Bob, you said it’s hopeless as long as the Jones are in control. So what do strengths and weaknesses have to do with anything? Season’s over right?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
POSITIONS OF WEAKNESS
It's a position of strength now. Just because they are unproven I get some would consider them a weakness. This group will surprise people this year. It will be nice to see actual linebackers (not misplaced S's) making plays again.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I think you exaggerate how bad our RB group is/ I would say around 20 or so in the league
and someone could shine so it is not a given that it will stink like a three day old dead skunk on the road

I am optimistic with the OL overall expecting rookies and second year players to shine is pushing it some

stiletto

Reaction score
I agree with most except OL and LB. LB'er is greatly improved from last year, there are actual NFL LB'ers going to be playing. The OL is an unknown at this point because of LT and C. Even though practice reports are promising, we haven't seen Guyton and Hoffman for a whole year. DT is also a potential disaster. If Mazi sucks, they have really no one that is NFL starting caliber.

RB is a joke this year. Zeke as the starter?! Laughable. Total Jerry homer idea.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you exaggerate how bad our RB group is/ I would say around 20 or so in the league
and someone could shine so it is not a given that it will stink like a three day old dead skunk on the road

I am optimistic with the OL overall expecting rookies and second year players to shine is pushing it some
Maybe. But a good running game must be able to make defensive coordinators sweat dropping their safeties too deep in fear of a gashing running game. I do not honestly believe that our backfield as currently constructed would make any DC sweat.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

20th! Wow, we’re moving up!

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Same thoughts. LB and DL dragged us down against the Bills, 49ers, and Packers.... the 3 main games of the year.

Bills maybe not as bad as the other 2 because there were 3 or 4 mental, technical, and poor fundamental plays that made that game go off the rails.

Only thing I would say is while I don't think TE is a weakness, I don't think our Tight End is at the level of Kittle, Andrews, La Porta, and Kelce.

Seems to be a common thing last year. All teams with a Top 5 Tight End made the championship game.

Tho maybe we'll have good depth if Schoon and Hendershot can do more this year.

I think you can argue all our other units as Top 5 except TE, RB, LB, and DL. Contingent upon Lamb resigning before September.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's a position of strength now. Just because they are unproven I get some would consider them a weakness. This group will surprise people this year. It will be nice to see actual linebackers (not misplaced S's) making plays again.
Yea , if Parsons isn’t going to be figured in as part of our DL then you have to place him with LB’s which then wouldn’t be a position of weakness.

It might not as a group be a position of strength but not total weakness.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our greatest weakness going in on offense is RB.

On defense it’s DL and DT to be specific .

If we aren’t able to stop the run and run the ball effectively ourselves , it’s going to place our success totally on our QB and passing game.

And if we don’t get the leads early and allow our defense to pressure opponents will be able to run the ball down our throats.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Same thoughts. LB and DL dragged us down against the Bills, 49ers, and Packers.... the 3 main games of the year.

Bills maybe not as bad as the other 2 because there were 3 or 4 mental, technical, and poor fundamental plays that made that game go off the rails.

Only thing I would say is while I don't think TE is a weakness, I don't think our Tight End is at the level of Kittle, Andrews, La Porta, and Kelce.

Seems to be a common thing last year. All teams with a Top 5 Tight End made the championship game.

Tho maybe we'll have good depth if Schoon and Hendershot can do more this year.

I think you can argue all our other units as Top 5 except TE, RB, LB, and DL. Contingent upon Lamb resigning before September.
Cowboys were tied for 2nd in most penalties last year. No one seems to acknowledge that and try to blame a player or 2.