CFZ Position groups: Strengths and weaknesses

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I'll revisit this after pre season.
Then again after week 3
For now, DB, ST, and TE , are top notch.
Everyone else is a question at this point.

QB? Cooper is the best back up in the league, Trey is a question until the bad guys are real.
Dak, has been the beneficiary of great surrounding casts and creative coordinating and most of all horrible competition. So QB is a question at best.

Coaching?????
Doesn’t everyone essentially play the same competition? I get some have tougher schedules, but, for instance, is there data showing Dak plays all or mostly bad teams and Mahomes plays all good teams?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
After just a couple of weeks into camp, here are what IMO are the strongest and weakest position groups on the 2024 Cowboys. Obviously before the final 53 man roster is settled, Tgere will be cuts and additions. I will list the strongest and weakest position groups, not necessarily in a particular order of strength or weakness.

POSITIONS OF STRENGTH
  • TE: This is a really strong TE group. I expect Jake Ferguson to take another step upward into being one of the best TEs in the league. If Luke Schoonmaker can stay healthy, he has certainly improved. John Stephens, Jr has a ton of talent and upside, and UFA Princeton Fant has shown lots of potential.
  • QB: I know Dak has been a major disappointment in the playoffs, but when the anger and frustration clears, he’s still 73-41 in the regular season and has to be considered a top ten QB. (I’m not here to argue with anyone on this!) Cooper Rush is probably going to remain Dak’s backup and he’s proven to be very trustworthy. Trey Lance? I have very low expectations. We will see.
  • Secondary- the corners, Deron Bland and Trevon Diggs are top shelf and I also think we have some decent depth. Our safeties are not great but better than we had 5 years ago.
  • OL- Zack Martin in my book is still great. Tyler Smith has emerged as a top guard in this league and he’s 24. The additions of Tyler Guyton and Cooper Beebe could be great. Looks like Brock Hoffman has shown flashes to be considered the front runner to be the C and Terrance Steele is fully recovered from his knee injury in 2022.
  • K/P: Brandon Aubrey was almost perfect last year in an All Pro season. Bryan Anger is a consistently reliable punter which is underrated. Very strong unit.
POSITIONS OF WEAKNESS
  • RB: I will get straight to it. This is the worst RB room in the league. And having a running game with absolutely no threat to a defense puts a ton of pressure on the QB and passing game. Not good. We must pick up someone from late cuts or this is going to really hurt our offense.
  • DL: With the loss of Sam Williams, the question marks hanging over Mazi Smith, and DeMarcus Lawrence now 32, it’s hard to see this DL being better than last year. Parsons is obviously a great pass rusher but teams could double him if no one else is a threat. Perhaps Marshawn Kneeland can step into this void and be good but that’s a ton to ask a rookie.
  • LBs: This could become a position of strength as the season progresses. Last year it was a disaster at times, especially in the running game. The addition of Eric Kendricks could really help cement Mike Zimmer’s scheme but he’s 32. Damone Clark will probably be much better as on outside LB than the middle. Maybe DeMarvion Overshown and rookie Marist Liafu could be wild card upgrades. We will see in time.
  • WR: Once Cedee Lamb signs, this will be a position of strength. If this holdout drags into the season, having a Brandin Cooks as your #1 receiver is not great. I like Cooks, but without Lamb as a threat, this WR group is below average.
Obviousy it’s early in preparation for the season. I fully expect to see a RB added and perhaps a DT. We have to hope so because those two positions hurt two areas where we need to get better: Running the ball and being able to stop the run.

What say you? How do you see these position groups?
Ownership and GM positions are weak....I think our new coaching staff can be strong.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That's not too bad a list I mean a lot of things are to be determined until we see them play in the actual season..... Some is gonna be a lot better than written and some might be a little less than spectacular we won't know until the real games are played....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
.OL is the one I’ll probably get the most pushback on but ultimately I expect some growing pains from the LT although I think he’s a really good player long term, I don’t think the C position is an auto improvement just because it’s a new name, and while I agree there is reason for optimism about Steele he still remains largely an unknown. Two all pro Gs but they’re sandwiched between 3 unknowns
The C is an auto improvement because he can anchor better and won't get pushed back into Dak. Steele is far from an unknown. He got better towards the end of the season and should be fully recovered from his knee now. As a unit they will get better as the season progresses. And the depth is better this year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yes, multiple things can be true but my point was that you said as long as Jerry’s in control there’s not much hope. You know it. But I’ll leave it.
Jerry is stupid at the stump? I disagree. There have been changes and that started in assembling the leadership of this Cowboys' team.

What changes have gone on in the linebacker group? Don't look now, but the linebacker group is tough, strong, and with some strong middle of field players that will control the center of field a quite a bit more than the previous two seasons. Zimmer is every where.

That has to do with the new defensive coordinator brought into the mix and who attacks offenses and puts pressure strongly on passing and running plays.

The secondary has a near genius at the helm, and top of league strength in pass defense in the NFL. Al Harris, with a full roster now, can challenge a San Francisco, Kansas City, and Philadelphia.

Don't over look these dynamics. If one wants to cry about the defensive line...cry along until that proves out.

Me, I'm excited about watching the changes. Turnovers will improve point differentials to the advantage of the Cowboys.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A 32yo vet and two mid rounders who've never played a regular season snap. That's more spit and duct tape than makeover.
:huh:

The LB position is a total make over. Overshown back and better. Clark finally in the best position for him. Liufau making plays and impressing every day. Add in Kendricks and Wilson........yeah a total make over. Only one on the roster against GB and in a much better position.

blueblood70

Reaction score
A 32yo vet and two mid rounders who've never played a regular season snap. That's more spit and duct tape than makeover.
th depth is better for sure mix of young and vets

Kendricks, Wilson, Harvey, and just added Vigil, to go with Overshown, Liafu, Clark, and mixing in occasionally Parsons. I'd say its much improved unit given Zimmers's defense and philosophy is more LB friendly.

im sure they can get a nice group out of those choices.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Ownership and GM positions are weak....I think our new coaching staff can be strong.
Administration organized, supported, and followed the staff's directions. Now, Dallas can change games against Kansas City, San Francisco, and Philadelphia. Dallas has to win at least two of those very four games.

blueblood70

Reaction score
:huh:

The LB position is a total make over. Overshown back and better. Clark finally in the best position for him. Liufau making plays and impressing every day. Add in Kendricks and Wilson........yeah a total make over. Only one on the roster against GB and in a much better position.
Yes, they have a far more varying group to choose from young and mixed with veterans but people are forgetting we're also switching to a much more linebacker friendly defense, so I believe Mike Zimmer will find a better way to utilize this group of linebackers....

Creeper

Reaction score
I am a little worried about depth at CB. If one of the starters goes down for any length of time, I think the replacements are going to be a problem. Forget the camp hype about Carson and Scott or whoever. When the games start those backups will be tested.

And like others, I think the OL is still to be determined.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • Secondary- the corners, Deron Bland and Trevon Diggs are top shelf and I also think we have some decent depth. Our safeties are not great but better than we had 5 years ago.

I think the secondary can be one of the better ones in the NFL. There is depth at CB and at S.

If Bland and Diggs play as many believe they will. That can open things up for the Safeties. Since they can concentrate on playing their actually positions and assignments. Not be hybrid LB's.
And with the improvement of the LB group that can help them be more of ball hawks. Especially if the DT's improve in Zimmer's scheme, do what they are supposed to do, allowing the LB's do what they are supposed to do.

Yes that is asking a lot. It is like the chicken or the egg question. A pass rush helps the secondary, or if the secondary has great coverage, it helps the pass rush.

rags747

Reaction score
After just a couple of weeks into camp, here are what IMO are the strongest and weakest position groups on the 2024 Cowboys. Obviously before the final 53 man roster is settled, Tgere will be cuts and additions. I will list the strongest and weakest position groups, not necessarily in a particular order of strength or weakness.

POSITIONS OF STRENGTH
  • TE: This is a really strong TE group. I expect Jake Ferguson to take another step upward into being one of the best TEs in the league. If Luke Schoonmaker can stay healthy, he has certainly improved. John Stephens, Jr has a ton of talent and upside, and UFA Princeton Fant has shown lots of potential.
  • QB: I know Dak has been a major disappointment in the playoffs, but when the anger and frustration clears, he’s still 73-41 in the regular season and has to be considered a top ten QB. (I’m not here to argue with anyone on this!) Cooper Rush is probably going to remain Dak’s backup and he’s proven to be very trustworthy. Trey Lance? I have very low expectations. We will see.
  • OL- Zack Martin in my book is still great. Tyler Smith has emerged as a top guard in this league and he’s 24. The additions of Tyler Guyton and Cooper Beebe could be great. Looks like Brock Hoffman has shown flashes to be considered the front runner to be the C and Terrance Steele is fully recovered from his knee injury in 2022.
  • K/P: Brandon Aubrey was almost perfect last year in an All Pro season. Bryan Anger is a consistently reliable punter which is underrated. Very strong unit.
POSITIONS OF WEAKNESS
  • RB: I will get straight to it. This is the worst RB room in the league. And having a running game with absolutely no threat to a defense puts a ton of pressure on the QB and passing game. Not good. We must pick up someone from late cuts or this is going to really hurt our offense.
  • DL: With the loss of Sam Williams, the question marks hanging over Mazi Smith, and DeMarcus Lawrence now 32, it’s hard to see this DL being better than last year. Parsons is obviously a great pass rusher but teams could double him if no one else is a threat. Perhaps Marshawn Kneeland can step into this void and be good but that’s a ton to ask a rookie.
  • LBs: This could become a position of strength as the season progresses. Last year it was a disaster at times, especially in the running game. The addition of Eric Kendricks could really help cement Mike Zimmer’s scheme but he’s 32. Damone Clark will probably be much better as on outside LB than the middle. Maybe DeMarvion Overshown and rookie Marist Liafu could be wild card upgrades. We will see in time.
  • WR: Once Cedee Lamb signs, this will be a position of strength. If this holdout drags into the season, having a Brandin Cooks as your #1 receiver is not great. I like Cooks, but without Lamb as a threat, this WR group is below average.
Obviousy it’s early in preparation for the season. I fully expect to see a RB added and perhaps a DT. We have to hope so because those two positions hurt two areas where we need to get better: Running the ball and being able to stop the run.

What say you? How do you see these position groups?
Slip Slip Slip Bob. Nowhere do I see the GM as being a position of weakness! Obviously too many Positivity Vitamins this am, Gotta cut back on those Budd…

fivetwos

Reaction score
I am a little worried about depth at CB. If one of the starters goes down for any length of time, I think the replacements are going to be a problem. Forget the camp hype about Carson and Scott or whoever. When the games start those backups will be tested.

And like others, I think the OL is still to be determined.
Really? Other than possibly interior OL, corner looks to be as deep as any position on the team. If one of Carson or Scott emerges I’d even explore trading Diggs, although that would never happen here.

DL is the clear problem. To people that don’t work for the team that is.

rambo2

Reaction score
This is the best group of linebackers that they have had in a long time. They are outstanding. They greatly improve the team from last year.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The C is an auto improvement because he can anchor better and won't get pushed back into Dak. Steele is far from an unknown. He got better towards the end of the season and should be fully recovered from his knee now. As a unit they will get better as the season progresses. And the depth is better this year.
I'm hopeful that you're right, but we are assuming a lot here.

Steele did improve as the season went on, but he went from basically being Chaz Green out there to a serviceable player. I think he still needs to kick it into another gear to even be close to where he was in 2022. Another thing to keep in mind with Steele is that he is now the veteran T and more will be asked of him with a rookie on the other side. It's likely that the Cowboys are going to play with the strong side of the formation to Guytons side to give him more help to the rookie. I could be wrong, but it would make sense to me that Steele gets more 1v1 situations without the TE to chip as often.

I will say that letting Biadasz walk was the right move over paying him top 6 C money, but how we act like the guy was a JAG is completely false. We really have no idea if Brock Hoffman is a stronger anchor than Biadasz. Hoffman was a solid backup last year and he played like a solid backup when he got an opportunity. Very possible he is more than that now with another year of development, but we assume a lot with that take. I have to believe that if the Cowboys had another year of control with Biadasz he would be the starting C easily. I'm open to arguments as to why I'm wrong there, but I need to actually see Hoffman in more than just practice, or need a deeper evaluation than Biadasz got pushed around. When it comes to the C position I'm way more worried about effectively getting to and blocking the 2nd level than I am that player getting pushed back. That's where I felt Biadasz struggled a year ago, and is probably a massive change for Beebe even though he moves pretty well for his size.

Completely agree with you on depth though. I worry about the starters at a few positions, but the backups seem to mostly be at least fringe starters in this league. A lot of teams would love to have Richards/Bass/Beebe on their rosters.