zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ownership and GM positions are weak.
shocked-face-joey-friends-bt164sxafe8rvhf5.gif

gtb1943

Reaction score
Jerry is stupid at the stump? I disagree. There have been changes and that started in assembling the leadership of this Cowboys' team.

What changes have gone on in the linebacker group? Don't look now, but the linebacker group is tough, strong, and with some strong middle of field players that will control the center of field a quite a bit more than the previous two seasons. Zimmer is every where.

That has to do with the new defensive coordinator brought into the mix and who attacks offenses and puts pressure strongly on passing and running plays.

The secondary has a near genius at the helm, and top of league strength in pass defense in the NFL. Al Harris, with a full roster now, can challenge a San Francisco, Kansas City, and Philadelphia.

Don't over look these dynamics. If one wants to cry about the defensive line...cry along until that proves out.

Me, I'm excited about watching the changes. Turnovers will improve point differentials to the advantage of the Cowboys.
some old dogs are unable to learn new tricks.
I see no sign jethro had learned diddly squat from all he has spouted so far
What happens on the field will tell the tale. the LB crew is potentially better but nothing proven when you are talking rookies
the DL especially DT is still weak and if they fail the LBs are not going to be able to do a lot about anything fighting off OL all the time
Zimmer COULD be a lot better but we will see; nothing proven about anything yet

Creeper

Reaction score
Really? Other than possibly interior OL, corner looks to be as deep as any position on the team. If one of Carson or Scott emerges I’d even explore trading Diggs, although that would never happen here.

DL is the clear problem. To people that don’t work for the team that is.
You made my point. If Carson or Scott emerges. We don't know. That's the same as saying If Kelvin Joseph or Wright emerges. Neither did.

plasticman

Reaction score
When I look at the starting lineups in last season's games for the defense, it almost seems as though its design made the LB squad weak.

They typically had only two LB's listed as starters in the game and one of them was Parsons. In addition, one of the LB's was often Markquese Bell. Typically, the only true LB in the game was Damone Clark.

It's clear that Quinn was willing to sacrifice some run defense for additional pass defense and it bit the Cowboys often.

I think Zimmer's lineup will be more traditional. As such, the weakest squad on the defense will be the D-line, in my opinion.

Mazi is not on a breakout trajectory, but that must be a critical element if the Cowboys are to move forward. In addition, with less Parsons, theoretically, and the Williams injury, the depth at EDGE is practically non-existent.

This does not bode well when you are depending on the pass rushing skills of a 32 year old Lawrence. The only solution would be a Pro Bowl performance by their rookie 3rd round pick. He may prove to be a contributor in 2024 but I see no Parsons-like emergence.

As far as the TE position, Schoonmaker's status is troubling. For some reason there are those players can never seem to shake the injury bug. Other than him, the only other TE's besides Ferguson are a group of undrafted free agents. They are certainly being talked up, but the only one that we have actually seen in action is Hendershot on a very limited basis.

The prospects at RB are absolutely dismal, I think it is the worse. I wouldn't doubt that Zeke will be the starter, there is no additional NFL talent on this squad no matter how they try to convince us that there is. The only other RB close to being an NFL talent shares his time equally on the injury list so we can cross off "reliability". Ignoring the position over the last five drafts, save for an undersized 6th rounder, was a sin.

Originally, the plan on the offensive line was to start two rookies. This was actually the best case scenario. Unfortunately, it appears that Beebe cannot overcome the competition of a 3rd year undrafted free agent with a total of 2 starts. Guyton looks to have a bright future but 2024 will be a season of learning, an ominous proposition for a rookie starting at LT, not to mention his QB.

Today, the receiver squad is an AWOL CeeDee, Brandin Cooks and the Jalens. We are told that Tolbert is much improved. How big a leap is that for a 3rd year receiver with a total of 22 career catches?

Josh Downs, the Colts 3rd round pick last season, had 23 receptions in the first 5 games of his rookie season.

The QB squad is strong but that status depends greatly on the health of the other offensive squads. It is easier to insert a QB like Cooper Rush with veteran protection. Trey Lance is a project and he may just end his career as one. It's doubtful he could contribute this season if called upon.

Training camp is a time of hope. We place expectations, typically unrealistic, on younger players. The majority of this hope gradually disintegrates under the reality of competition against credentialed NFL experience and talent.

If was going to rank the squads then I would have to place special teams in first place followed by the secondary. If Parson is going to play at the LB position, even part time, then they are 3rd place followed by the QB's, TE's and receivers. The D-line and RB's are in the rear in whatever position anyone would care to rank them.

This all sounds pessimistic but I have left room for pleasant surprises and they do happen. So much would change with a couple of breakouts. The most impactful breakouts, in my opinion, would come from Tolbert, Kneeland, Mazi, and any of the other TE's besides Ferguson.

Flinger

Reaction score
On balance, good job Bob.

GB - could not run, could not stop the run...
  • Could not Run?
    • RB's look to be average, at best.
    • Oline looks to be young with potential, but will take time with 5 pieces needed to harmonize and work as a unit.
  • Could not stop the Run?
    • New Defensive Coordinator.
    • Linebackers revamped, looks to be young with potential.
    • DT's seem to be next man up with non-premimum draft youth added in, looking like a huge question mark
Can we run? Doubtful, early and will have to see as season progresses.
Can we stop the run? Promising with Zimmer and LB's, but DT's will be the fulcum of the pendullum to determine which way it goes

FVSTONE

Reaction score
After just a couple of weeks into camp, here are what IMO are the strongest and weakest position groups on the 2024 Cowboys. Obviously before the final 53 man roster is settled, Tgere will be cuts and additions. I will list the strongest and weakest position groups, not necessarily in a particular order of strength or weakness.

POSITIONS OF STRENGTH
  • TE: This is a really strong TE group. I expect Jake Ferguson to take another step upward into being one of the best TEs in the league. If Luke Schoonmaker can stay healthy, he has certainly improved. John Stephens, Jr has a ton of talent and upside, and UFA Princeton Fant has shown lots of potential.
  • QB: I know Dak has been a major disappointment in the playoffs, but when the anger and frustration clears, he’s still 73-41 in the regular season and has to be considered a top ten QB. (I’m not here to argue with anyone on this!) Cooper Rush is probably going to remain Dak’s backup and he’s proven to be very trustworthy. Trey Lance? I have very low expectations. We will see.
  • Secondary- the corners, Deron Bland and Trevon Diggs are top shelf and I also think we have some decent depth. Our safeties are not great but better than we had 5 years ago.
  • OL- Zack Martin in my book is still great. Tyler Smith has emerged as a top guard in this league and he’s 24. The additions of Tyler Guyton and Cooper Beebe could be great. Looks like Brock Hoffman has shown flashes to be considered the front runner to be the C and Terrance Steele is fully recovered from his knee injury in 2022.
  • K/P: Brandon Aubrey was almost perfect last year in an All Pro season. Bryan Anger is a consistently reliable punter which is underrated. Very strong unit.
POSITIONS OF WEAKNESS
  • RB: I will get straight to it. This is the worst RB room in the league. And having a running game with absolutely no threat to a defense puts a ton of pressure on the QB and passing game. Not good. We must pick up someone from late cuts or this is going to really hurt our offense.
  • DL: With the loss of Sam Williams, the question marks hanging over Mazi Smith, and DeMarcus Lawrence now 32, it’s hard to see this DL being better than last year. Parsons is obviously a great pass rusher but teams could double him if no one else is a threat. Perhaps Marshawn Kneeland can step into this void and be good but that’s a ton to ask a rookie.
  • LBs: This could become a position of strength as the season progresses. Last year it was a disaster at times, especially in the running game. The addition of Eric Kendricks could really help cement Mike Zimmer’s scheme but he’s 32. Damone Clark will probably be much better as on outside LB than the middle. Maybe DeMarvion Overshown and rookie Marist Liafu could be wild card upgrades. We will see in time.Fans have rallied around this lovable loser too many times
  • WR: Once Cedee Lamb signs, this will be a position of strength. If this holdout drags into the season, having a Brandin Cooks as your #1 receiver is not great. I like Cooks, but without Lamb as a threat, this WR group is below average.
Obviousy it’s early in preparation for the season. I fully expect to see a RB added and perhaps a DT. We have to hope so because those two positions hurt two areas where we need to get better: Running the ball and being able to stop the run.

What say you? How do you see these position groups?
Bobby H, I'm normally a fan of your posts, but I've got to draw the line in the sand when you listed QB as a position of strength. The GB game has to be the final straw that broke the camel's back for Prescot as a future Cowboy QB. It's time to cut the cord and let him walk. He's not worth the Cap Space that he's DEMANDING and his statements lately should be alarming to every Cowboy fan. This greedy shrub isn't in it to win it, he's in it to drive up the salaries for current and future NFL QBs. He's a proven loser of BIG GAMES and is a fricking stats machine when his opponents sport a losing record or when he's lighting it up playing against an opponent's prevent defense in 2nd quarters of NFL games. Cowboy fans and football experts have rallied around his lovable loser too many times and it's time for the Boys to move on from Prescot after this year and if they're lucky enough, maybe sometime this year.

Big D

Reaction score
It's a position of strength now. Just because they are unproven I get some would consider them a weakness. This group will surprise people this year. It will be nice to see actual linebackers (not misplaced S's) making plays again.
Agreed. I think having more conventional LBs along with the Philosophy of Zim makes all the difference.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Bobby H, I'm normally a fan of your posts, but I've got to draw the line in the sand when you listed QB as a position of strength. The GB game has to be the final straw that broke the camel's back for Prescot as a future Cowboy QB. It's time to cut the cord and let him walk. He's not worth the Cap Space that he's DEMANDING and his statements lately should be alarming to every Cowboy fan. This greedy shrub isn't in it to win it, he's in it to drive up the salaries for current and future NFL QBs. He's a proven loser of BIG GAMES and is a fricking stats machine when his opponents sport a losing record or when he's lighting it up playing against an opponent's prevent defense in 2nd quarters of NFL games. Cowboy fans and football experts have rallied around his lovable loser too many times and it's time for the Boys to move on from Prescot after this year and if they're lucky enough, maybe sometime this year.
Like him or not Dak is still in the top half of starting QBs in this league which would make it a position of strength. His cap space and all the drama around Dak may effect the supporting cast the Cowboys can put around him but it doesn't lessen the fact that the position is one of strength for this team. The desire to move on from the guy (And i'm pretty much in that boat) doesnt mean that he isn't a good player.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Like him or not Dak is still in the top half of starting QBs in this league which would make it a position of strength. His cap space and all the drama around Dak may effect the supporting cast the Cowboys can put around him but it doesn't lessen the fact that the position is one of strength for this team. The desire to move on from the guy (And i'm pretty much in that boat) doesnt mean that he isn't a good player.
Elite players deserve the mega lotto contracts, Prescot is not an elite player who to this point is overpaid, over hyped and pretty much a less than mediocre player who feeds off toads and prevent defenses in the league. He does not deserve the type of contract he and his agents are trying to stiff arm the Cowboys for so that he can he as he stated, " Drive up the QB salaries for current and future NFL QBs". That statement pretty much says that he's not in it to win it, he's in it strictly for the money, nothing less, nothing more,