Position of need, take BPA

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Don’t see that happening at number 24.
Was referencing in respect to the obvious choice,, Parsons was clearly the obvious choice.
We were discussing BPA vs Need, so if a Burks were somehow there or another player, your pick, that slipped and shouldnt be still there.
You taking BPA over the need pick if Zion Johnson is still available?
Thats all I was alluding to, there is no right or wrong answer.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Was referencing in respect to the obvious choice,, Parsons was clearly the obvious choice.
We were discussing BPA vs Need, so if a Burks were somehow there or another player, your pick, that slipped and shouldnt be still there.
You taking BPA over the need pick if Zion Johnson is still available?
Thats all I was alluding to, there is no right or wrong answer.

Not sure there’s going to be an obvious choice at number 24. Many considered Parsons the best defensive player in the draft last season. I saw at least two of the talking heads predicting he would be rookie of the year. Someone pretty highly rated is going to have to fall a long way for there to be an obvious or best choice for us at number 24. Unfortunately this is not a good QB draft that usually causes players to fall with teams taking QBs.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
our needs are many. the best offensive line, best defense line, WR's, tes, and coaches. they should be there in the draft.
This roster has some nice 2nd year players that not only need to contribute but have to inorder for this team to keep up, I like what I see with that draft class.
This team keeps stringing together a couple good drafts, and you become relevant quickly in this league that has to survive with rook contracts.
Yes grabbing expensive FAs serves a purpose, but this team obviously has the utmost faith in McClay.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
This roster has some nice 2nd year players that not only need to contribute but I like what I see with that draft class.
This team keeps stringing together a couple good drafts, and you become relevant quickly in this league that has to survive with rook contracts.
Yes grabbing expensive FAs serves a purpose, but this team obviously has the utmost faith in McClay.
good luck

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
good luck
You know me captain, Im not always so easy on the FO decisions, but I do believe in McClay, I just dont believe he was given much authority in the past.
Thats really my main interest in the draft is just to see who is really pulling the trigger.
I can forgive Jerry and SJ if they stick to McClays board, and it will be obvious.
If we trade multiple late rounders to move up 3 or 4 spots, than my story is shot down in flames, and will gladly come back and reply in this thread if it still exists that I was duped again. :D

Techsass

Reaction score
Dallas took Taco because of a major need and have done so other the course of time, taking players based on need but not necessarily the BPA
What's scary is that somebody they trusted convinced them that Taco was a better choice than TJ. They were both there.

I actually think we've gotten better than we used to be at judging defensive players, but we aren't quite there yet.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
og, center, dt, ot, de, no wr's or te's unless they are 5th round or later.

They will throw in an RB in some round.

maybe an lb, but they think we don't need one.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
OT, OG, WR, TE, DE, LB, DT.

Best player at position of need won't work this year. We need to fix the OL, first.
Im in agreement here, Ive debated back and fourth but keep coming back to day 1 starter, and there is a fit instantly on the OL.
Take care of the need on OL to start it off day one, and fix a glaring need.
Hate having to draft that way, but thats the situation that this roster is in at the moment.
Waiting for roster vet cuts to cover major need is risky business.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
It's not just you. We have a habit if telegraphing our intentions and I've heard little talk of center from this FO. I could've missed it though..

I think that they might be high on Farniok, who looked decent when called into action. It was a limited look to be sure, but they have the benefit of seeing him in practice.

And remember, we have a different coach, who has a much different history in regard to OL than does our GM.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I think BPA at a position of need certainly comes into play for the Cowboys, but I do think they also do have a list of free agents that could fill a hole if they can't get a guy in a spot.

For example, if it comes down to pass rusher versus WR, there are still a handful of legit options at WR in free agency like Jarvis Landry or Julio Jones, but there really isn't much in the way of options at pass rusher that are still out there.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think that they might be high on Farniok, who looked decent when called into action. It was a limited look to be sure, but they have the benefit of seeing him in practice.

And remember, we have a different coach, who has a much different history in regard to OL than does our GM.
If we pass on OL with first pick than they are high on Ball as well.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What's scary is that somebody they trusted convinced them that Taco was a better choice than TJ. They were both there.

I actually think we've gotten better than we used to be at judging defensive players, but we aren't quite there yet.
M was looking for his Warren Sapp,, swing and a miss.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just my way of seeing if anyone reads my posts. Just kidding, didn't proof read it.
Didn't know if you meant to put someone else's name in place of one of those, or if you just meant to put his full name.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If all about equal go center. But really you have to follow your board while gauging whao you think may still be there in the next round.