Possible deals to complete this roster

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
what has he done for 3 years?????

he holds out he doesn't get paid..... he has too many doubters and questions

The only thing that can really stop Dak from getting paid tens of millions next year is getting injured this year. Why would he risk that for 2mil?

Kaiser

Reaction score
2019 Draft
2nd round TE
3rd round DT
4th round WR
4th round comp RB

Good post. I would add Fleming or another vet as the Swing Tackle, plus I think one of the draft picks are a 4th OT to develop. I think they draft a big CB to develop as well.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dak isn't Emmitt Smith or Khalil Mack. He might not have a job as a result. So I highly doubt he holds out.

If he loses his job this year, he'll have one next year.

A young, decent starting QB has great leverage. Think Cooper Rush. Especially where not getting signed holds a young playoff team hostage. Especially when he's so obviously paid under market.

It's just risk management. A significant injury costs him tens of millions of impending money for only 2mil this year. Just not worth the risk.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I hope Beasley gets the $10 million, but not with the Cowboys. That would be a 3rd to 4th compensatory pick for next year.

I hope that too. I like Beasley. I want him to get all he can, and you're right that the more he gets, the better for us. I'm just looking at last year's market and I don't see the market value.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If Hurns is getting 5.5 million per year for 21 catches0

There is currently 120 million in cap space for 2020. We have plenty of space to sign those players.

Dak can be resigned at the end of the year or middle of the season depending on how he performs.

Zeke can be extended next off season.

Jaylon Smith is a Restricted Free Agent. He'll only cost us about 5 million in 2020 as a 1st round tender.

I'm letting Byron Jones and La'el Collins walk. They can return us 2 3rd round comp picks for the 2021 draft.

5.5mil was as our low budget presumed #1. We have 1,2 already. Hurns may be back, but we're not playing him for 5.5mil next year. The production last year just doesn't justify it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Let him try it.

The team can then simply go about the process of replacing him one year sooner. And he can then worry about coming back to Dallas in 2020 because he never fulfilled the last year of his contract and they still own his rights.

He'll come back in time to accrue his league year. This is not rocket science.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Edelman signed at age 32, coming off a torn ACL, and without going to UFA. Not exactly apples to apples.
Age at game 1 of the season after signing the contract:
Edelman: 31
Beasley (2019): 30

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The only thing that can really stop Dak from getting paid tens of millions next year is getting injured this year. Why would he risk that for 2mil?
90% of the League plays without a safety net of guaranteed money... get some insurance if you are so scared...... you are a football player...... play football

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak still has a year to go before his extension is a need, so no, he's not the most important extension need right now.
Dak's rookie deal expires after this upcoming 2019 season. Jerry and Stephen have both verified they are working on giving Dak a new contract this offseason in order to keep him at a cheaper deal than how much more he would cost at the end of the 2019 season. They also want to avoid using the franchise tag on Dak for fear that might scare him away like it happened to the Commanders with Kirk Cousins.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
90% of the League plays without a safety net of guaranteed money... get some insurance if you are so scared...... you are a football player...... play football

Most players aren't looking at making 10 or 20 times their current salary guaranteed in a contract within a year.

Business is business. Jerry should be able to do this math as well as anyone else. Better, in fact, as the oil business should have left him understanding risk management.

The NFL uses its power to squeeze rookies on the rookie contract. Fine. But it's silly for them to expect rookies to meekly go along with it when they have the power to do better for themselves, under the NFL's own rigged market rules.

Dak isn't just a football player. He's not just a human widget for NFL profits. He's a man doing the best for himself and his family. I expect him to.

At minimum, I expect a win-win extension of 1 year, with half the money for the extra season pushed into this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Far from it, this is baseless, ridiculous speculation.

What I've said is based on the facts of the situation. How much Dak makes now, how much he'll make next year. It's not complicated. Basic risk management.

Make a more convincing risk management argument based on those facts if you like. Shutting your mind to the facts is what makes for "baseless, ridiculous speculation".

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Was thinking we had mid to late 50M plus cap space? Instead of 47M.
We gave mandated 1m raises to Dak, ABrown and MCollins...... LCollins got a 2.5m incentive raise

Also the Cap came in a 188.2m and most models had it pegged at 190m

And we had to extend the cap out to the top 51 contracts

We got 2.25m back when we cut TWill and we will got 1m for RGregory getting suspended

It all adds up and down quickly

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I've said is based on the facts of the situation. How much Dak makes now, how much he'll make next year. It's not complicated. Basic risk management.

Make a more convincing risk management argument based on those facts if you like. Shutting your mind to the facts is what makes for "baseless, ridiculous speculation".

He's not going to "hold out" anywhere. No matter what. It's a baseless ridiculous speculation.